GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,547
4 members and 1,543 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721, LaneSig, Titchou

Old 01-20-2001, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Post How can I make it through pledging

I'm pledging this spring and just wanted to get some ideals from people who already pledged so my process want be a hard one. How to deal with taking wood
Old 01-20-2001, 11:24 PM

Don't.
Old 01-21-2001, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Good advice, 33.
Old 01-22-2001, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Wood is hazing. Against the law AND against NPHC regulations. If you are in an NPHC affiliated group and they are using wood, they are breaking the rules not only in the national fraternity but the rules of the oversight/governing organization.

It's great to wear letters and enjoy lifelong sister-/brotherhood. But it's not so great that you should have to be beaten to prove you are 'worthy'.
Old 01-22-2001, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

You want to make you pledge experience a hard one? Here's what you do: remain an ACTIVE member in your organization AFTER you cross, and I'm not talking about showing up for step practive either. JOIN A GRADUATE CHAPTER AS SOON AS YOU GRADUATE and become ACTIVE in it. The REAL pledging, the REAL WORK comes AFTER you've crossed the sands, not before.

Old 01-23-2001, 01:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Well said!

------------------
Always
Seek
Knowledge

Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 01-24-2001, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
I'll second (or third, wherever we are at) - DON'T take wood. Don't even consider it is as one of those things you "have" to go through to fit in. Don't trade your pride in yourself for membership - make your selection on who to pledge wisely - be it BGLO/GLO whatever. Don't make a lifetime commitment in a few moments - take your time.
When people (I won't use the term brother in this example) give wood to prospective members, I wish somehow I could force a mental image that they are giving wood to their founding fathers...how would they react to wood, or to any of the stupid hazing incidents we unfortunately hear all to often?

------------------
Don't be your brother's keeper; rather, be your brother's Brother.

[This message has been edited by LXAAlum (edited January 24, 2001).]
Old 01-25-2001, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just interested to know if any of you who advised zero to not taken wood themselves or if they've engaged in a pledge process of any kind.

Nu Iota chapter Kappa Alpha Psi
Spr. 97
Old 01-25-2001, 10:30 PM

Thumbs down

I engaged in a pledge process where I got to know the sisters, learned the local and national history of the sorority, and became familiar with other members of the Greek community.

It was a lot of work, but at no time was I physically or mentally abused and I cannot see why that would ever have to be part of the pledge program.

Yes I did "really pledge"...but I wasn't stupid enough to join an organization that would crack me over the ass with a paddle for no reason.
Old 01-25-2001, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes. I pledged. I went through a pledge process which resulted in the priveleges of membership in my sorority. NO, I was not hit with anything, and there is NO WAY in HELL I would have allowed that to happen to me. No letters, no loyalty, nothing is worth getting beaten. Who cares if it's tradition? There are a lot of other "traditions" which are wrong and need to be phased out, and this ludicrous one of "taking wood" is another one.
Old 01-26-2001, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree with the others. DON'T take wood. This is not part of ANY pledge process. You will never be able to find ANYWHERE in ANY national fraternity/sorority books, headquarters, whatever--that states that this is a tradition. It is not only NOT part of any pledge process, but it is illegal and against all rules by Nationals. Anyone who says it's 'real pledging' to take wood is full of themselves, if you're REALLY pledging, you're doing the work that the founders MEANT for you to do--learning the history of the organization, working with the philanthropy in place, helping better the community, learn leadership skills by working with a type of governing system inside the organization. THAT is REAL pledging.

I pledged a national sorority (DZ) AND a national professional fraternity for women (SAI). Neither organziation hazed me in any way--that includes wood. I wouldn't stand for it when I pledged, and neither should anyone else.
Old 01-26-2001, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Quote:
Originally posted by MaguireTheHustler:
I'm just interested to know if any of you who advised zero to not taken wood themselves or if they've engaged in a pledge process of any kind.

Nu Iota chapter Kappa Alpha Psi
Spr. 97
Pledged? Yes.
Taken wood? No. NEVER.

------------------
Always
Seek
Knowledge

Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies

[This message has been edited by equeen (edited January 26, 2001).]
Old 02-04-2001, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

take wood....its not that bad, silly
Old 02-05-2001, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Question

I can't believe that even occurs anymore. When we pledged, the paddles were gifts for the brothers, symbolic of the time and effort involved in pledging. I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to get whacked on the ass with one. I would of kicked the crap out of anyone that touched me with one. Grow up.

RUgreek
Old 02-05-2001, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm reading this over and i'm thinking that this person DOES NOT want his pledge process to be a hard one. maybe "want" is supposed to be "won't." In light of that, sorry kid, there's nothing you can do to get around that. pledging is like adding another 2 classes to your course load. you have organization & chapter history to learn, organization and chapter rules & regulations to become familiar with. not to mention bonding with your those you're pledging with and those who are pledging you, in addition to maintaining a respectable GPA so you don't become inactive right after you become a member. I wish i had something different to tell you, but anything in this life worth having is worth working for.