GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,367
3 members and 1,364 guests
John, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 11-11-2003, 07:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation irish student here& need some help!

Hi all, my name is aoife and i am a student from Ireland who is thinking of going to the states or canada on a work visa next summer. Last year when i was in Canada, i stayed in a frat house for a night and i was wondering how you go about renting these out for the summemr vacation.
As many of you may know, we have nothing like fraternities or sororities in Ireland and I am very jealous of you all! Do you have members all over the world or just in your locallity? How would someone like me go about becoming a sister or is it not possible?
I would appreciate it very much if some of you could take a few minutes out to answer my questions.
thanks
aoife
Old 11-11-2003, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Last year when i was in Canada, i stayed in a frat house for a night and i was wondering how you go about renting these out for the summemr vacation.
It depend on which campus you will be in. In bigger campus, I've herd of different fraternities and sororities renting out their house for the summer. So I suggest you contact the local greek life office or the residential life office. They should be able to help you.

Quote:
Do you have members all over the world or just in your locallity?
My particular organizations have members across the world. Though we do not have chapters outside of USA.

Quote:
How would someone like me go about becoming a sister or is it not possible?
I suggest you contact the local Greek Life office in the varsity that you will be attending. They should have the low down. Hope that help. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:26 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks

thanks for the reply. Ye that helps lots all i have to do now is decide where we are going to go for the summer and then i can investigate further!
Old 11-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck in your search!

Do you mind my asking how you would pronounce your name? I only know about 5 words in Gaelic.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks! you pronounce my name ehhhh how do i put it ...i guess its like e-fa if you get that?!!!!!!! its kinda like the name eva, ceft with an f sound instead of the v!!!hope that helps!
Old 11-12-2003, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Thank you! Ironically, I have a sorority sister whose nickname is Efa!

I was surprised to hear that Aisling is pronounced Ash-Lean, that's why I now ask.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

i guess irish names must be soooo weird to you guys! but we have many names that are the same but spelled different like shawn is sean here or connor is conor or owen is eoin the list goes on......................
Old 11-17-2003, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Kevin's my name. I'm told it's Gaelic.

Speaking for my organization, we're "International" meaning that we have chapters in both the US and Canada. I've often wondered why European students don't embrace Greek Life. My chapter has actually welcomed brothers from other countries, including one from Japan.

Enjoy your visit to North America!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-19-2003, 05:28 AM
GreekChat Member

yeah kevin would be popular here, its a nice name. I really dont know why theres no greek life orgs here. Its weird isnt it?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

My name is derived from Ireland... Erin with an A (Arin). The reason it is with an A is that my mother doesn't like the letter E or something like that.

AGD has chapters in all of North America and I know that we have or have had an alumnae group in England.

I would love to find out why Greek Orgs haven't taken off in England. Someone should investigate.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 11-19-2003, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

I'd imagine it has a lot to do with the operation costs. It would cost a lot more to keep a European chapter in operation what with travel costs and everything. Also, what European students would want to "copy" something from the US rather than have something that is truly their own? I'm not really sure. There are plenty of reasons that would seem to make it difficult. But why European students don't start similar organizations is beyond me. I think I've heard of similar groups in Germany but nothing quite like GLO's.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

AOII just installed an alumnae chapter in London I believe.

Also, here at Ole Miss the sorority and fraternity houses are usually occupied by either their members or high school students who are at camps during the summer.

AOII here usually just shuts down for renovations, painting, improvements, etc....although this summer 2004 we might stay open for the girls since so many of them like to attend summer school.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
I'd imagine it has a lot to do with the operation costs. It would cost a lot more to keep a European chapter in operation what with travel costs and everything...
That's exactly the reason why Phi Psi hasn't gone to Europe. It would consume an enourmous amount of financial resources. We would love to establish chapters on the other side of the pond, and perhaps some day we will.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
That's exactly the reason why Phi Psi hasn't gone to Europe. It would consume an enourmous amount of financial resources. We would love to establish chapters on the other side of the pond, and perhaps some day we will.
Lately, I don't think this is so much an issue as it has been in the past. Foreign flights are often cheaper than domestic flights these days. I'd be very surprised to see anyone founding oversees chapters. However, I think it's more likely now than it has been in the past.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Lately, I don't think this is so much an issue as it has been in the past. Foreign flights are often cheaper than domestic flights these days. I'd be very surprised to see anyone founding oversees chapters. However, I think it's more likely now than it has been in the past.
*Don't forget... (drum roll please) ... liability insurance (and other risk management issues!)

*There is also the cost of lodging.

*Long term currency fluctuations must be taken into account.

*The cost of air fare is currently lower than normal market conditions due to the state of the post 9-11 airline industry,

*and other issues that I'm not aware of.