Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 920
2 members and 918 guests
navane, Xidelt

Old 09-02-2005, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SDSUSigKap
Bid Day

Forgive me if this has been asked before, I searched for this and didn't find anything.

I was wondering what chapters do for their bid days. I am tired of the same ole stuff every year and am looking for a new event. Have any ideas!?
Old 09-02-2005, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

One that we did had a tropical feel to it. We put a wading pool in the middle of the living room & covered on the outside & inside w/black fabric, cellophane, & those glass beads to make it look like a lagoon or black bottomed pool. We then put a cute fountain in the middle of it so it looks like a waterfall (w/no running water obviously). We had the PNM's sit in a circle around it while we stood behind the PNM's. We also gave them lei's to wear during the ceremony. We had a senior give a reading about her time at Sigma Kappa & we sang songs like "You're My Sister, You're My Friend", "Love", and "Sigma Kappa We've A Song to Sing". It's very moving & we had a lot of PNM's cry. There's more to it than just this but I don't want to post the rest of the details. If you want to know them, just PM me & I'll give them to you.

Oh, outside, we decorated w/candles in votives & white lights. The tables had white linen tablecloths & other decorations. The whole feel was elegant & classy.

EDIT: I think I still have the directions, instructions for Pref for when we did it. I live in Long Beach so I can easily mail them to you if you like.

Last edited by BetteDavisEyes; 09-02-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:50 PM
GreekChat Member

So I realize this is a hella old thread, but I'm in the middle of Bid Day planning for my chapter and need some help from some true SK's...
I've got the theme (Sigma Kappaccino), and the shirts, and the giftbags, and the name signs and (pretty much) the food and drink all planned. What I need is some ACTIVITIES to get us in the sisterly bonding mode.
Here at Upsilon, we all go to the quad to chant and meet the new members with hugs and gifts as it's announced what house they're in. Then we all go back to the chapter house, eat and do... something. Last year we played 2 truths and a lie, but it took a super long time for 100 people, and wasn't that exciting. There is a home football game later, but not everyone will have tix. I wanna have games/activities in mind to keep us going all day. ANY SUGGESTIONS??
Old 07-18-2009, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this would be feasible, but one thing we've done for the past few years at Theta chapter is we hire a student accapella group (guys of course :P) to come and sing some songs for us for a little while. It's always a big hit with both the new girls and the sisters. They usually come for a little under an hour, which is nice because that way it takes up a fair amount of without taking up the entire day.

I know in the past we've also done crafts together as a "buddy" and a new member. Since bigs and littles haven't been assigned yet, it's usually a great way to make a new friend on the first day. We usually do something like, a giant heart split in 2 and each group decorates their heart so the pieces match between the sister and the new member.

Going with your theme, you can do something crafty, like decorating a jar and fill it with coffee beans. You can paint glass, add ribbon, fabric, stickers, etc. You could then add a label, so everyone knows what kind of coffee it is.

P.S. I don't know if you've heard this before, but it goes with your theme..."A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent"