Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,355
0 members and 1,355 guests
No Members online

Old 05-06-2007, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Teacher Cert. & MEd - Opinions?

I am trying to go back to school to get certification to teach (currently I'm looking at high school English; I would prefer history but apparently there is a much larger job market for English teachers here). I have a B.S. degree, and am looking into different option on getting certifications, and many people have recommended going ahead and getting an MEd at the same time as I work on my certification.

I eventually want to go back to school (yes, back to school yet again - I like school), for an MA and a PhD, looking at issues in the American education system, so I'm looking at my high school teaching career as sort of a 5+ year field study. (Hey, maybe I'll fall in love with it and never leave, who knows, but I have always really wanted to pursue the PhD - it is my dream!)

So, the point of all this explanation ... in your opinions, is it worth it to get the MEd? If it would really be beneficial, I am totally fine eating nothing but rice to pay for it (it would be a good diet!), but I am not convinced it would be a good move for me if I am not planning on being a career teacher.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
I am trying to go back to school to get certification to teach (currently I'm looking at high school English; I would prefer history but apparently there is a much larger job market for English teachers here). I have a B.S. degree, and am looking into different option on getting certifications, and many people have recommended going ahead and getting an MEd at the same time as I work on my certification.

I eventually want to go back to school (yes, back to school yet again - I like school), for an MA and a PhD, looking at issues in the American education system, so I'm looking at my high school teaching career as sort of a 5+ year field study. (Hey, maybe I'll fall in love with it and never leave, who knows, but I have always really wanted to pursue the PhD - it is my dream!)

So, the point of all this explanation ... in your opinions, is it worth it to get the MEd? If it would really be beneficial, I am totally fine eating nothing but rice to pay for it (it would be a good diet!), but I am not convinced it would be a good move for me if I am not planning on being a career teacher.
Does your school district emergency credential? Especially if you are willing to teach a tough subject like writing or sheltered English or reading?

And I think the MEd is an administrative degree, i.e. how much is in the budget to teach "your favorite subject"...

If you try to for the emergency credential, then you take the teaching methodology course for 1-2 semesters, then you actually teach. Over X number of years, you must get your certificate to teach. It is a way of teaching right now.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 05-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Although I have taught college for many years (with an MS and PhD), I also pursued alternative certification as a secondary teacher..it pays a lot more than teaching college. Most of my classmates pursued an MEd along with their alternative certification; Georgia has many programs where one can do that and the pay for a public school teacher with a graduate degree is really good. If your state does that, I'd say go for a master's with the alternative certification.

My daughter is doing alternative certification in Spanish after getting 2 degrees in recreation (she also got over 30 hours of Spanish as an undergrad). Since she already has a master's, she's getting paid for that on the job now but I've advised her to go into one of those programs where you get your alternative certification and your EdS all at once.

If you want to teach college, you should go after a master's in your subject area. Usually a college won't be real big on hiring someone with an MEd unless you're trying to get a job in the college of education. If you want to teach public school for awhile and then maybe college, I'd say get your master's in the subject area but pick up the education courses you need to get certified as well. That way you're covered no matter what you choose to do in the distant future.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
Speaking as a teacher, I highly encourage you to get your Master's in Education. I am dual certified in secondary ed., and went back to get my M.A. in History. It was a straight M.A., and I never took any more educational classes. Looking back, I wish I had added more classes. Even though I am getting paid for my master's, it would have been easier. I am now considering going back and getting a 2nd master's, this time in education. Why? Because my first master's degree was not in education, if I want to pursue gifted education in my state, I have to do the entire degree, and not just a certificate program which is only 18 hours.

As Carnation said earlier, check out emergency certification. Many states will allow you to teach at least one year with that authorization--it's a great way to get your feet wet, and let you know if teaching is truly what you want to do.

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 05-31-2007, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Live_Wire17
Thumbs up M.Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post

Soror,

It is worth getting your M.Ed. Trust...I did the same thing. My Bachelor's is in English (Law School was in the plan...) but then I decided I wanted to teach (another story for another time) so I went back to get my certification and realized that for a few more classes I could have another degree. Check the program because that is probably the case. I will eventually go to the college level (as I am currently working on another Master's in Administration) but first I have a lot of work to do for our youth...they need me right now...they need you right now. I have been teaching 8 yrs. (5 yrs was my plan too...) and I am not ready to come out of the classroom yet. My principal is pushing me to do more and more administrator things around the school (I am the English Dept. Chair) but I won't leave until I feel comfortable leaving the kids. Good luck.

"Like the perfect lyrics over the tightest beat"
Old 05-31-2007, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Live_Wire17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
And I think the MEd is an administrative degree, i.e. how much is in the budget to teach "your favorite subject"...
Not true?

"Like the perfect lyrics over the tightest beat"
Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I was faced with this same question because right now I am going back to school to get my teacher cert. but I learned of a program at Mo. State to get my teacher cert. and my master's all at the same time!

I will only be 12 more hours to complete my master's so I thought it would silly not to...so, that is the reason why I am doing it. (Plus, all the benefits of having a master's in education)
Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkelly View Post
I was faced with this same question because right now I am going back to school to get my teacher cert. but I learned of a program at Mo. State to get my teacher cert. and my master's all at the same time!

I will only be 12 more hours to complete my master's so I thought it would silly not to...so, that is the reason why I am doing it. (Plus, all the benefits of having a master's in education)
DO IT!

I don't know if you can really say that the MEd is an administrative degree. There are so many areas of specialty and Admin happens to be one of them.