GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,587
1 members and 1,586 guests
John

Old 02-10-2003, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Uh-oh.......I need advice ASAP!

Okay, so I bought some awesome 7th row tickets to see Shakira (again). I e-mailed a friend of mine (friend #1)and asked if she wanted to go. She didn't respond after a couple of days so I asked a girl I work with (friend #2) if she wanted to go. Girl from work said yes even though she really isn't into Shakira. Okay, so friend #1 just IM'd me and said she is super excited and can't wait to go. Friend #1 (as well as myself) loves Shakira's music and has been listening to her since before she was the Shakira most of you have come to recognize today. Half of the concert is in spanish and friend #2 doesn't speak any Spanish. Friend #2 did, however, tell me yes first. I think that I will have a better time with friend #1 and I think she will have a better time than friend #2. What do I do? As of now, both girls think they are going and I only have one extra ticket. The concert is in two weeks and I need to tell one of these girls by tomorrow that they can't go, and I have no idea how I am going to do that! Somebody, pleeeeease help get me out of this sticky situation!
Old 02-10-2003, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Tactfully explain to friend 2 your situation. If you explain it to friend 1, she might question why you asked 2 and get mad or something. If 2 isn't that big of a fan and you explain to her that 1 really wants to go, 2 will probably back down, esp if it means she doesn't have to pay for a concert she might not enjoy as much.

hope that helps. good luck
Old 02-10-2003, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

okay, so I would embellish a little......

(ONLY WORKS ASSUMING THAT FRIEND #1 AND #2 DO NOT KNOW EACH OTHER.) I would tell friend #2 that friend #1 is a HUGE fan of Shakira and she just broke up with her boyfriend and is having a really hard time recently......blah, blah, blah.......and would you mind if I took her instead because it would REALLY brighten her up (she has been a wreck, nothing I do can make her feel better...all she does is binge on Ben and Jerry's and play depressing music.....)? #2 should understand if she is a friend. I would take #2 to lunch, dinner, other concert soon though, so she doesn't feel slighted.

I am sorry you are in this situation.......it puts a damper on a great thing- FREE TICKETS .

Normally, honesty is the best policy (and ALL my roommates say: be honest!......but this is honestly what I would do.......).
Old 02-10-2003, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: okay, so I would embellish a little......

Quote:
Originally posted by sunnygirl
(ONLY WORKS ASSUMING THAT FRIEND #1 AND #2 DO NOT KNOW EACH OTHER.) I would tell friend #2 that friend #1 is a HUGE fan of Shakira and she just broke up with her boyfriend and is having a really hard time recently......blah, blah, blah.......and would you mind if I took her instead because it would REALLY brighten her up (she has been a wreck, nothing I do can make her feel better...all she does is binge on Ben and Jerry's and play depressing music.....)? #2 should understand if she is a friend. I would take #2 to lunch, dinner, other concert soon though, so she doesn't feel slighted.

I am sorry you are in this situation.......it puts a damper on a great thing- FREE TICKETS .

Normally, honesty is the best policy (and ALL my roommates say: be honest!......but this is honestly what I would do.......).
HILARIOUS!!!

I would just tell friend 2 the truth about the situation. If she still wants to go, then you don't really have a choice. If not, it is all good and friend 1 goes. It shouldn't be too sticky, just be honest.

Last edited by librasoul22; 02-10-2003 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Tell 'em both you've had a change of plans and take me!!

Well, I guess that's not feasible (dang, because I love Shakira!) so I would go with LibraSoul's very sound advice if I were you.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Ahhhhhhh, no idea what to do! I want to be honest, but I really don't know how to be in this situation. Friend #2 is IM'ing me right now asking me about "the plan." I may throw chideltjen's story her way. You see, the thing is I bought these tickets and knew nobody would be jumping to take a 15 hr drive to see Shakira and be willing to pay for their food, ticket, etc, so the trip was offered free of charge, minus their money for food. So neither of these girls are having to pay for the (somewhat expensive) ticket. I think I'm beginning to tell her the story about the break-up. Oh God, I hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the @$$!!!
Old 02-11-2003, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

You know, not to complicate things, but I think you should take friend #2. Friend #1 didn't respond for days...so I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to say that when you didn't hear from her, you asked someone else because you needed someone to go. She really shouldn't be mad then, and it's not YOUR fault that she didn't respond sooner.

Good luck, and I hope you have a GREAT time no matter who goes with you!
Old 02-11-2003, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
You know, not to complicate things, but I think you should take friend #2. Friend #1 didn't respond for days...so I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to say that when you didn't hear from her, you asked someone else because you needed someone to go. She really shouldn't be mad then, and it's not YOUR fault that she didn't respond sooner.
I have to agree with Valkyrie. It's kind of like saying yes to go to a formal with an ok guy, but then calling him up later and asking him to cancel when the big guy on campus calls.

But I do hope you have a good time with whoever you take
Old 02-11-2003, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

hmm... What's more important to you? Sticking to the proper thing to do in a social situation (take friend 2) or having a better time (take friend 1)?

This is way too late to say now, but you should have qualified asking Friend #2 with "if I don't hear from friends#1 in a week".... but hey, that's for next time you get free tickets, right?

I suppose you could suddenly hit friend #2 with costs, like... um, "the hotel is really expensive", or "could you pay for your ticket?" and she might back out. But that'd be going back on your word too.
-M
Old 02-11-2003, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel really awful. I was talking to friend #2 last night on IM and she was asking me what the plans were, but at the same time I was talking to friend #1 on the phone. I have no idea what to do. I know what I SHOULD do, but that's not what I want to do. None-the-less, I am going to make my decision today, as the concert is in 12 days. Thank you everyone for your advice. I really appreciate it.