Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,224
1 members and 1,223 guests
naraht

Old 06-24-2012, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Declining job offer?

After my graduation, I've been blessed to receive 3 separate contracting offers. In this field, it's pretty common to accept multiple offers in case one falls through, so I've accepted offer A and B. I've never had to decline an offer before, so what's a good and polite way to tell company C thanks, but I'm no longer interested?
Old 06-24-2012, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
After my graduation, I've been blessed to receive 3 separate contracting offers. In this field, it's pretty common to accept multiple offers in case one falls through, so I've accepted offer A and B. I've never had to decline an offer before, so what's a good and polite way to tell company C thanks, but I'm no longer interested?

Keep it brief, thank them for their time/consideration, and leave yourself open to further communication down the road. Something along the lines of:

"Thank you for the offer, but upon considering all my options, I have decided to not accept the position..."
"After careful consideration, I have decided to go in another direction.."
"Thank you for considering me for the _____ position. At this time, I must respectfully decline your offer..."

If you give too many specifics, they may ask you where you are going instead, if there is a better compensation package or schedule you might consider, etc. If you're open to that, fine, but if you absolutely do not want to accept an offer, you need to be confident in how you present your decision. Otherwise, it can get really uncomfortable. You also don't want to burn bridges. Approach it from the "it's not you, it's me" perspective, and let them know that you found something that is a better fit.

Good luck! It's a luxurious problem to have in this economy.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Good luck! It's a luxurious problem to have in this economy.
Agreed! After stressing for months with no offers, they all pop up...which is almost just as stressful! I never thought I'd have this dilemma...

Thanks for the advice, normally I have zero problems with cover letters, resumes, thank you notes, interviews, etc. but man, everything I wrote out was sounding totally fake and contrived
Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Short sweet and SOON. Don't leave them hanging. They want you, but they also need to know one way or another so they can move on. And sadly, they probably don't get many professional rejection letters so you will be remembered, which is always a good thing since you never know what the future holds. Best of luck and congratulations!