GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,339
0 members and 1,339 guests
No Members online

Old 05-07-2003, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
New Hampshire landmark gone. What to do next?

As you might now, couple days ago the Old Man had given up after thousand of years struggling to keep the formation.
For those who don't know, the Old Man is a natural formation of granite, 70 miles north of Concord, New Hampshire. It became an icon for New Hampshire, as well as US. The Old Man appears in the NH coin, as well as license plates and all other iconic issues.

I am confused Should we "manmade" the replacement of the Old Man? Or should we just let it go ... really unfortunate for New Hampshire, and the whole United States. Too bad I haven't visited it yet. Rest in peace, the Old Man!

New Hampshire landmark gone: What to do next?
Alex Ortolani, Associated Press

Published May 7, 2003 OLD08

CONCORD, N.H. -- With the Old Man of the Mountain now just a pile of rubble, many in New Hampshire say that while the craggy rock formation should not be forgotten, it should not be raised from the dead.

``I've got nothing against a memorial of some kind,'' said Donald Hall, a former New Hampshire poet laureate. ``But I think the ruin of the forehead and the face is its own memorial.''

Over the years, nature had carved a 40-foot-tall granite outcropping resembling an old man's face in profile, and it eventually became New Hampshire's most recognizable symbol, depicted on the state's quarter.

Last week, though, the 700-ton formation in Franconia Notch State Park broke loose from its 1,200-foot-high perch.

On Saturday, Republican Gov. Craig Benson called for restoring the profile on Cannon Mountain.

``We'll build back a replica of something that represents the Old Man of the Mountain,'' he said, but then quickly backed off the idea.

On Tuesday, Benson appointed a 12-member committee to seek public input on the monument. Committee members include David Nielsen, whose family has been taking care of the Old Man for decades.

Members say they are open to ideas ranging from rebuilding the monument out of rubber and plastic to creating a memorial but letting the cliff remain faceless.

Roy Allen, who was visiting the state park from Rochester, N.H., was in favor of rebuilding the Old Man. ``We can put a man on the moon - seems maybe now we can put a type of a face up there,'' he said.

But Brian Fowler, an engineering geologist who has studied the Old Man's underpinnings since the mid-1970s, said it would be costly and dangerous to try to reconstruct something on what is left of the face. He said it would be difficult to get crews and equipment in to do the work.

Charlie Niebling, a senior director at the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests, said his organization, which helped the government buy the land that included the Old Man in the 1920s, does not want to see the profile reconstructed.

``There was a natural course of events that took him away, and trying to rebuild it does not make a great deal of sense,'' he said. ``The Old Man is going to live on in the history of the state. If anything, its diminishment will strengthen the icon.''

He added: ``It's going to be a challenging undertaking to find the proper way to pay tribute, but we'll find a way.''

Poet Maxine Kumin, also a former laureate, said it would be foolish to restore it.

``Nature gives and then nature takes,'' said Kumin, who favors a plaque.

Fay Dwyer, who has managed a resort eight miles from the Old Man for 32 years, said she feels as if someone in the family has died and would like to see a memorial.

``Even if it was a garden with a plaque or something explaining his history in the area,'' she said. ``I think you're going to be seeing a lot of people come up to the area just to see where he was. Nothing could ever take its place.''

http://www.startribune.com/stories/484/3869203.html

Other links:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0507/p08s02-comv.html

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/12...mbolism+.shtml

The official information bureau
http://www.visitwhitemountains.com/

http://www.adn.com/24hour/nation/sto...-6113834c.html
Old 05-07-2003, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaTarzan
hehe, sucks to be you, new hampshire! that's like georgia running out of peaches or idaho becoming allergic to the potato.

Old 05-08-2003, 12:03 AM

Put a plaque there, and let it go. The whole point is that it was formed naturally - to do something "unnatural" now would defeat the whole purpose.
Old 05-08-2003, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
make somthing like red rock amphitheatre. then have a nice rave.
Old 05-08-2003, 07:54 AM

i don't know how may GC-ers actually ever saw it, but it was actually a pretty cool landmark. My family and I used to go up to these kiddie-amusement parks (like Clark's Trading Post and Santa's Villiage) when I was really little and I used to stare at the mountain the whole way up the highway! For the folks in the area around NH and New England it truly is like someone from our family has died! (I know it sounds corny but it's true!)
Old 05-08-2003, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Actually, a lot of people are rather attached to the landmark. I could understand their feelings, it's like if the Old Faithful stops to eject steams and water. How about if we're losing the Lady Liberty or Mt. Rushmore?
It is hard to express this in words, but you know what I mean.
Old 05-08-2003, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LuaBlanca
[B My family and I used to go up to these kiddie-amusement parks (like Clark's Trading Post and Santa's Villiage) when I was really little and I used to stare at the mountain the whole way up the highway! For the folks in the area around NH and New England it truly is like someone from our family has died! (I know it sounds corny but it's true!) [/B]
OH MY GOD I FORGOT ABOUT CLARKS TRADING POST AND SANTAS VILLAGE!

Santa's Village was the best! we always got penny candy!

Lua Blanca, where are you from? I grew up in MA but before we got our beach house we used to summer on Winnepausakee! (how on earth do you spell that?)