Members: 326,176
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,627
1 members and 1,626 guests
John

Old 05-15-2005, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

Cool Happy Founders Day, Alpha Delta Pi!!

“Founded on May 15, 1851, Alpha Delta Pi is the oldest secret society for college women in the world. Established at Wesleyan College in Macon, Georgia, the first college chartered to grant degrees to women in the world, the story of Alpha Delta Pi is a remarkable one and it all began with a young girl's dream.

Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald
Eugenia Tucker was just sixteen years old when she left her family home in Laurens County, Georgia, to enter Wesleyan College. Before the end of her first year she would establish the first sorority in the world.”

When Eugenia Tucker decided to form a society, her dearest and most admired friends were asked to join her. She listed them in her journal as: Ella Pierce, daughter of a bishop; Octavia Andrew, daughter of a bishop; Bettie Williams of South Carolina (not pictured); Sophronia Woodruff; and Mary A. Evans, daughter of a useful and beloved pastor of Macon Mulberry Street Methodist Church for several years.

Ella Pierce Turner
Ella's interest in education was inherited from her family. Her father, Dr. George Foster Pierce, served as the first president of Wesleyan Female College and later served as president of Emory University. Ella was described as a "most charming young lady with seriousness of purpose and great determination." Ella had twelve children and her legacy lives on today with the many family branches that have ties to Alpha Delta Pi.

Octavia Andrew Rush
Only 13 years old when she made the journey to Wesleyan, Octavia was the daughter of Bishop James Andrew who was the ranking member on the original Board of Trustees that started Wesleyan. After graduating, Octavia married John Wesley Rush, an Emory law student. They had ten children and John abandoned his law studies to become a Methodist preacher. During the Civil War, Reverend Rush went to defend the South and was captured in battle. Octavia remained a scholar and continued her involvement with Alpha Delta Pi until her death in 1917. Like Ella, many of Octavia's descendents are Alpha Delta Pi sisters.

Elizabeth Williams Mitchell
Elizabeth was born in Marion County, South Carolina, and is the only Founder who was not a Georgia native. Her father was a doctor and trustee at the Georgetown Methodist Church. Undoubtedly, this association with the church influenced Elizabeth's decision to attend Wesleyan, more than 450 miles from her home. She married Thomas Mitchell, a Methodist minister, and they had five children. "Bettie" as she was known at Wesleyan, died in 1884, just 13 days after the death of her eldest son. Our archivists have been unable to locate a photograph of Elizabeth.

Sophronia Woodruff Dews
Sophronia was born in 1835 in Augusta, Georgia and her family moved to Columbus, Georgia before Sophronia turned five. Her father, Dr. Michael Woodruff, was a prominent physician in Columbus, in addition to serving as a city alderman and president of the Muscogee Bible Society. Sophronia received her A.B. degree from Wesleyan in 1852. The subject of her commencement composition was "Selfishness - the Axis on Which the World Turns." Sophronia died in 1913 at the age of seventy-eight.

Mary Evans Glass
Mary was born in Forsyth, Georgia in 1833. Like many of her Adelphean sisters, her father was a Methodist minister. He also served on the Wesleyan Female College Board of Trustees for forty years. Mary received both a literary and a musical education, graduating from Wesleyan with distinction. She married Sanford Glass, a lawyer, and they had one child before Mary's husband died in the Civil War. She went on to teach at a private school and until her death in 1914, remained very active with Alpha chapter in Macon.

Happy Founders Day, Sisters!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 02:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Happy Founders' Day to all my sisters! Glad to be 154 years and still going strong!

L&L,
Jennie

Last edited by polarpi; 05-16-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Happy Founders Day to my wonderful sisters! Here's to many more happy years.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy Founders Day!!

I think at tshirt from DLC put it best--

Who would have thought we would look so good at 154?!?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
Happy Founder's Day ladies!!!!

THank you Honey for the wonderful reminder. The post could not have been more beautifully written!!!
Old 05-15-2005, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Happy Founders' Day to my sisters...

I had a wonderful day and I hope you all did too...
Old 05-16-2005, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Happy Founder Day everyone...we did Jewel Degree for ZA today.

nauadpi - I met one of your chapter sisters today but for the life of me cant remember her name!
Old 05-16-2005, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Quote:
Originally posted by HBADPi
Happy Founder Day everyone...we did Jewel Degree for ZA today.

nauadpi - I met one of your chapter sisters today but for the life of me cant remember her name!
Zeta Alpha is CSU Fullerton I do believe... I am trying to think of sisters I know who moved out that direction.

Ones that come to me off the top of my head are Lesslie, Aimee, Katie, and Andrea.

Now I am just curious since most NAU alum seem to stay in Arizona and not leave...
Old 05-16-2005, 01:57 AM
ADPiZXalum

Quote:
Originally posted by polarpi
Happy Founders' Day to all my sisters! Glad to be 104 years and still going strong!

L&L,
Jennie
Isn't is 154 years?

Yah hoo for us!!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Tried to post yesterday, but for some reason, the website wouldn't log me in. Anyway--happy Founder's Day to all of us!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nauadpi
Zeta Alpha is CSU Fullerton I do believe... I am trying to think of sisters I know who moved out that direction.

Ones that come to me off the top of my head are Lesslie, Aimee, Katie, and Andrea.

Now I am just curious since most NAU alum seem to stay in Arizona and not leave...
yup ZA is CSUF...the names Leslie and Andrea seem to ring a bell. She was tall, short dirty blonde hair (pixie cut almost)...dont know if that helps but I can ask the AA president who she was.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

<> <> Happy Founder's Day Sisters!!! <> <>
Old 05-16-2005, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to polarpi
Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiZXalum
Isn't is 154 years?

Yah hoo for us!!!!
Obviously I need to stop posting after a certain time of the day - like 3 in the afternoon

Thanks for the heads up I better go change it now
Old 05-16-2005, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
Happy Founder's Day!!

I drove up to help perform Jewel Degree for my chapter. I forgot how much I hated that drive...

Anyway I learned the most amazing fact! Eugenia's father was born in South Kingston, RI - the town adjacent to Unversity of RI's campus! He lived there until he went to Yale to be a doctor. He left before graduating and went back-packing across Europe (or the 1800's version of that) where he met then-Princess-but-later-to-become Empress Eugenia of Austria. He returned to the US, went to school in Philadelphia then went to the "wilderness" - GEORGIA!

Now you know the REST of the STORY!
Old 05-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by skerbow
Happy Founder's Day ladies!!!!

Thank you Honey for the wonderful reminder. The post could not have been more beautifully written!!!
Thank you! It's directly from the website - but not the double secret part!