Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,184
0 members and 1,184 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2001, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool what would you do differently?

To my bruhs, and anyone else out there visiting our "hood", I ask this question:

If you were the sole-proprietor of BET, would you have different programming? How differently would it be?
Old 02-05-2001, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually would have more news programs on there. I mean it is all well and good to entertain but at some point we have to start enlightening. I was just thinking the other day that it would be great to see more news done from a ethnic perspective, meaning talking about how particular issues are going to affect our specific communities. I don't think that they did enough of that.
Also, I find it interesting that though it was Black Entertainment Network, I would never see a Dionne Farris or Lenny Kravitz video, yet I could turn and see an Eminem video anytim (because he was a rapper). I think that BET was kind of pigeon-holed into presenting one facet of things that entertain black folk and in that way, limited.
Old 02-06-2001, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Good question! We are sometimes known as people who will complain all the ding dang day long, but when it is time to get to action, the talking and the folks fade away....

If I were BET CEO:

Gain the rights to old (I'm not talking from the 70s, I'm talkin' really old like the 30s or 40s) black movies and show them. Have experts come on before or after the show to discuss what like was for black folks 'way back when'.

Definately add more current events/news type shows. I would move shows like Lead Story and what ever Tavis' show is called to prime time.

A showcase-type talk show with features on groups/organizations/individuals who are doing positive things in the community.

A good, well written, realistic Black family drama!! Is that too much to ask for?? We ain't funny all the time!!

Since they are so popular now, I would probably jump on the reality TV band wagon. Can you imagine a Real Worl/Survivor/Road Rules type show with nuttin' but US??? ROTFLOL

Also, since I am a HGTV junkie and I AM the CEO, I would have 2 - 10 (I am in charge, right? )home decorating/crafting kind of shows that are geared towards the things that I (and other women of color) want to see: no roosters/cows in the kitchen!

A travel show..showing great places in the US and abroad to visit--with an emphasis on African/AA/Carribean culture.

one thing I would most DEFINATELY change would be the constant booty shake videos. Vidoes would be shown on Friday nights from 12:00 to 2:00. If you ain't home, too bad soo sad!!

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited February 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited February 07, 2001).]