Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 943
0 members and 943 guests
No Members online

Old 06-08-2003, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Teach for America

Has anyone here done the program? If so - what did you think? Was is what you expected?

For those who don't know, Teach for America is a program that places exceptional college graduates from all majors in teaching positions in low-income, urban areas of the country. You teach there for 2 years and the goal is to make a difference.

I'll be graduating in May 2004 and though I want to go to law school - this program sounds so incredible to me. I have always been a "giver" - i love giving back to the community, helping people out, and sharing my talents with others. I really think this would be an amazing experience before law school, that could eventually lead to a career in law reform for the educational system or politics with a focus on education.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I know a few people who applied for the program - from what I've heard, it's extremely selective, but if you're looking at law school the term "extremely selective" probably doesn't scare you off.

From what people have told me it's an excellent program - once you get used to the area you're placed in, which can be the biggest adjustment, I've heard it's well worth it.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
I know a few people who applied for the program - from what I've heard, it's extremely selective, but if you're looking at law school the term "extremely selective" probably doesn't scare you off.

From what people have told me it's an excellent program - once you get used to the area you're placed in, which can be the biggest adjustment, I've heard it's well worth it.
I heard the same thing about the program and from what I understand, the majority of the people selected graduated with honors from Ivy league schools. I thought about the program, but I'll stick to the regular route.

Last edited by Eirene_DGP; 06-10-2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

This is an excellent program for people who want to teach for a year or two, but it's probably not the best choice for a person who wants have a teaching career. If you already know that you want to become a teacher and have experience working with kids, you would make better use of your time applying directly to a credential program.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Four girls I know applied, one was selected to go to the interview and 5 min lesson plan, from there she recieved a rejection letter in the mail.

I have also decided to apply. My GPA might not be the best, but this past year of teaching in the larger more diverse schools in Lansing, I have decided that I want to help mold some children and make a difference in their life. I would also be able to get my teaching certificate (although I'm only 3 classes away from it) If I also get rejected, like most people do, I will move on and start my second bachelors in nursing.

I also incourage anyone and everyone to apply. Even if they arn't sure if it's what they want to do. Because it's about making a difference and letting some kids know that there is someone who believes in them and doesn't judge them. I really think TFA is a very valuable program It's also a program that I would love to be a part of.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

hmm......

Actually, two girls from my chapter were accepted into the program, and while their two years are going to be up at the end of the summer, they absolutely LOVE the program. I know a couple girls from other schools who are also in the program and the majority of them are from large public universities, so I am very sure that TFA accepts students from a variety of colleges and universities.

I think that is excellent that you are thinking about applying though. The girls I know in the program are very enthusiastic about making a difference; they were involved in a variety of activities in college, and they love kids.

Incidently though, my closest friend that is in the program was a business school major and now, she is applying to teach in Chicago.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2003, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I am certain that there was a PBS documentary on the lives of 4 or 5 teachers in the program. It was very interesting. Try searching for it and see if you find anything about it.
Old 06-23-2003, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

DC Teaching Fellows

DC Teaching Fellows

This is a program that is (apparently) similar to TFA, but it's just for DC.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: DC Teaching Fellows

Quote:
Originally posted by dardenr
DC Teaching Fellows

This is a program that is (apparently) similar to TFA, but it's just for DC.
Dardenr, thanks for posting this info. I checked out the site and it seems to be an excellent program. I am going to go ahead and apply.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
Thought I would add a comment on here...Some of my high school teachers really were not fans of this program...I think it is great to hear that people have had great experiences from it, but my teachers tried to discourage some students from applying. They said they found that it put the most talented students in the most impossible situations, therefore discouraging them from ever wanting to teach again....

I am not trying to turn anyone off from the program, but give people another perspective to keep in mind.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
My big just finished Teach For America in May and it was the hardest thing she has ever done. And she is extremely smart, tons of leadership, Florence Hood Miner recepient, homecoming queen runer up...the resume from heaven.

She was placed in Baton Rouge. There were tears shed...but there were silly moments too. I don't think she would do it over again. I know she now has zero desire to ever teach.

Another point of view...I just finished my first year teaching at a Title I school (low-income, low-performing) teaching K-5 music. I student taught in the district where all the astronauts kids go...so it was like night and day.

It was the HARDEST thing in the world. I liked it though. The kids come from situations that you and I could never imagine. And the only thing you can control for them is the time that they spend with you. You can't help that mom and dad got taken to jail last night or that they didn't eat dinner or that they are late to school 'cause mom didn't get back from her boyfriend's house in time to wake the kids up...

I don't like the teachers I work with, because they seem to have given up and are bitter. However, I am sort of glad I ended up here because it is a challenge and I am young and energetic and the kids look up to me and care about how I view them, which has caused some kids to shape up.

I know I will not be here in a few years 'cause I will move when my husband is done with grad school, so it is almost like a TFA situation in that I know it is temporary.

The moral of this story: It depends on what kind of person you are, and the reasons you have for seeking the opportunity. If you are just looking to put off grad school, don't do it. If you feel a calling, get ready for the hardest 2 years of your life and enjoy the ride.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
I taught for two years in a very poor rural Mississippi school. Two of the teachers there were TFA. One was a Yale graduate, had been on the Yale football team, and heading to law school later. The other was from Indiana (I think), very nice girl, who later decided to go into teaching as a career. Both had big adjustments to make to the area. Both were (In my opinion) good teachers. It really does matter who you are inside, what you want to get out of the situation, and where you are placed. My school was safe, just poor, and had a hard time recruiting teachers. I am in favor of the program.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kitten03
It's all about support

A friend of mine is going to start teaching in rural Miss. All programs have there own ups and downs based on where the school is and the type of support they receive from vertan teachers and the administrations. About the girl in Baton Rouge, many inner city schools dont have the resources to fully support teachers meaning kids can go crazy crreating kidphobia...a condition that affects teachers only. I teach and would encourage those who are interested to try it. It is definately rewarding.

Then again some people who are in TFA are looking for something to do before attending grad school, law school whatever. Kids do pick up on the fact that a teacher is only alighting at their school and can resent it
Old 08-13-2003, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
I'm in a similar program here in NYC...
NYC Teaching Fellows

I just finished my summer training Aug 1 and am heading back for new teacher week for the city starting on Monday

Quote:
Originally posted by ZTAMiami
I am certain that there was a PBS documentary on the lives of 4 or 5 teachers in the program. It was very interesting. Try searching for it and see if you find anything about it.
The First Years Great stories...saw it first day of training!

Last edited by ZTAMich; 08-13-2003 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

A quick question or two here. What is the limit as to how many years after graduation you can participate in the program? Also, do they have a similar program provided by the state of Arizona?

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!