Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,532
2 members and 1,530 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 PM
bibelot

Smile Interested Party saying hello!

Hello, everyone. I'm new to the boards, and I would appreciate your feedback on this.

When I was an undergrad at UC Berkeley, I rushed during my sophomore year. I loved meeting the girls in all of the different houses, but there was one house that I really admired and wanted to join. I thought the girls were awesome - smart, funny, kind and beautiful...I would have been proud to call them sisters. Anyway, I made it through most of rush week (day 4 of 7) before I was dropped. I was heartbroken! I stayed in touch with a couple of the members while I was a student, but we all drifted apart after college.

Fast-forward to today...I'm a successful law student 1 year away from graduation (December 2008), and I'm thinking about doing an L.L.M. abroad after finishing my J.D. But I'm still thinking about the house that I missed out on, and I'd love to join.

How should I approach this?

Last edited by bibelot; 11-01-2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: AlphaFrog comment
Old 11-01-2007, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibelot View Post

Absolutely any way but this way. First of all, calling yourself a "Future AI" is extremely presumptious. Also, naming the sorority you're persuing is a huge no-no.

Listen, I know I'm being "Debbie Downer", but if you were already told "NO" by collegiate memebers, I think it's horrible that you want to back-door into a spesific GLO anyway. I would be pissed if I was one of those sisters who spent all night doing MS to find out that people we cut were getting in anyway.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 11-02-2007 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:09 PM
bibelot

I don't think that doing AI to join any sorority would be a "back-door" maneuver. I am honestly admitting that I still admire and want to be a part of the organization, and I will still be subject to the scrutiny of National and the local Alumnae chapter. I can't hide anything!

And I'm sorry that you think that my method of bringing up this issue was improper, but I wasn't sure precisely how to ask the question -- so rather than going for perfection, I just said what was on my mind. This is a message board where people post items to discuss, right?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Welcome to GC

(AF, you know how I meant it)

haha.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:29 PM
bibelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
Welcome to GC

(AF, you know how I meant it)

haha.
Wow, that was pretty snarky. You've got a lot of free time to troll the boards and mess with people, huh?

Anyway, you two girls have fun. I've got some volunteer work to do, and then I'm going to go study. I will pursue my dream of joining the sorority that I admire, one way or the other...and it's up to them, not you, to tell me yes or no. Period.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

May I suggest you go and read the past posts here in the AI section? It will give you a great deal of information and also some perspective.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You asked "How should I approach this?" so here goes.

You might want to re-establish / reconnect / reforge the friendship ties that you made with those sorority friends. It's better that they are the ones to recommend you as a prospective candidate for membership, rather than you approach the org. directly yourself, on your own recommendation for membership.

Going forward, I would also refer to yourself as a "Prospective Candidate", rather than as a "Future AI". It's best to err on the side of caution and humility.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Please read the FAQs in the forum and practice the utmost discretion. this is a very touchy subject on GC with strong feelings on both side of the fence.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.

Last edited by PenguinTrax; 11-01-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Wow, that was pretty snarky. You've got a lot of free time to troll the boards and mess with people, huh?
I just meant that GC isn't always a friendly place especially when you bring up sensitive subjects-as such.

And, calling yourself a "Future AI" even though you have now changed the title is just like saying- "I'm going to be an ABC!!" When homegirl hasn't even gone through recruitment yet.

But, I can see how my post wouldn't be seen that way. (There have been lots of threads about the rampant snarkiness on GC-maybe you should check them out)
Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't think that doing AI to join any sorority would be a "back-door" maneuver.
Of course YOU don't...that's why you're pursuing AI.

Quote:
I will pursue my dream of joining the sorority that I admire, one way or the other...and it's up to them, not you, to tell me yes or no. Period.
"Pursuing your dream of joining a sorority" is the exact reason that most of us are against these AI forums to begin with...and no, AlwaysSAI aren't the ones who say "yes or no", but the ones who DO have already said "no".

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 11-02-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
I just meant that GC isn't always a friendly place especially when you bring up sensitive subjects-as such.

And, calling yourself a "Future AI" even though you have now changed the title is just like saying-
I changed the title.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
I changed the title.
You're soooo much nicer then us PNAM-eating snarks.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Absolutely any way but this way. First of all, calling yourself a "Future AI" is extremely presumptious. Also, naming the sorority you're persuing is a huge no-no.

Listen, I know I'm being "Debbie Downer", but if you were already told "NO" by collegiate memebers, I think it's horrible that you want to back-door into a spesific GLO anyway. I would be pissed if I was one of those sisters who spent all night doing MS to find out that people we cut were getting in anyway.
I'd have to agree w/ AF.

AI should be an honor... not a right.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I will pursue my dream of joining the sorority that I admire, one way or the other...and it's up to them, not you, to tell me yes or no. Period.
Which they already did when they dropped you.

As an alumna member I seriously question any woman who went to a college with a large/active Greek system and didn't end up joining then and then wants to AI.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
As an alumna member I seriously question any woman who went to a college with a large/active Greek system and didn't end up joining then and then wants to AI.
Ditto.