GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,091
0 members and 1,091 guests
No Members online

Old 01-17-2001, 12:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Question small sorority recruitment

Here's the deal:
I am a member of a non-greek social sorority at my university. The only difference from other sororities on our campus is that we are not associated with the greek system. However, we are like the other sororities because we have similar functions, etc. We are trying to come up with ways to get the word out about our sorority to girls that may be interested in joining. There really are no limitations on what we can do to inform interested girls about the sorority (for example: we can go door-to-door in dorms, etc). Since everyone on this board is so good with coming up with ideas for everything, I was wondering if you could share some ideas to help us inform girls about the sorority and boost recruitment for us! Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks
Old 01-17-2001, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what your Student Activities Office allows, but we did table slips (little 4 by 6 slips of paper with information) on the tables in the dining halls, posters, and we were given permission to distribute recruitment info in the mailboxes of all the first-year females. We focused primarily in the first-year dorms.
Old 01-17-2001, 05:28 PM
Valoise

Greek organizations use their symbols as great marketing tools during rush. Greek Leters are not only used for their identity, but are the best source of advertising. Professional and Academic fraternities usually use greek letters, simply for traditional purposes. If you want to start your own social organization, you have to not only sell the idea, but sell the image. Heck, the skulls aren't greek, but their symbol is renound throughout North America.
Secondly, you have to have the support from other organizations. For example, if you are starting an all girls club, get the fraternities to support you. If you are sending potential members to selected fraternities, they might refer women to you, in order to return the favour. Good luck, it's not an easy battle. You'll more than likely have your fair share of opposition, so make sure you've got people fighting in your corner. It's sad, but that's the reality of greek life on some campuses.
Lates.

------------------
Sigma Pi Fraternity- Come find us, before your girlfriends do.
Old 01-17-2001, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks ao much for your replies, but I did want to clarify one thing. We are not trying to start this organization on our campus. It already exists and has for about 60 years. However, because we are not in the greek system, it is sometimes difficult to make ourselves known to girls that may want to know about us! Hope that this explains it better.
Old 01-18-2001, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

That is so awesome. I'm a member of a GLO, but I'd love to hear more about your group and offer ideas. If you want to pass on some more specifics and tell all of us about your group I'm sure we could help more.
Old 01-18-2001, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
Thumbs up

Fliers, posters, T-shirts, word of mouth...and emphasize your legacy, history, and what makes you unique. The best way is to talk to people - my fellow Chapter Founders and I found that people were always curious to know about us, and our Candidate pin was often the originator of these conversations.

I'm curious, which sorority are you a member of, and what university? Best of luck!

------------------
Always
Seek
Knowledge

Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
Old 01-18-2001, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

A good way to promote yourselves is service. Also it's cheap and efficient to put up fliers containing factual information about your organization. This will keep your org fresh in people's mind.
Old 01-18-2001, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

My chapter is working really hard on recruitment this year, so I am bursting at the seams with ideas!

One of the most effective things that a burgeoning group can do is create their own good PR! As a chapter, my sorority shows up at Greek Week events, charity events, football games, and track meets, in letters (and in some places without). If people see a group of women (or men), having good clean fun, supporting eachother, then others' perceptions of them improve (and, as a result, numbers increase). We have a day every week where active members are encouraged to wear their pins, along with appropriate attire. Nothing can help your group more than postive portrayals.

Feel free to email me!