Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,277
1 members and 1,276 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-25-2005, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Jewel ? best reflects me.

Hotep Brothers.

In your opinion were the Jewels monolithic in thought?

I am sure most of us Alpha Men will agree that each Jewel thought differently.

Which Jewel do you identify with the most?

Lastly, does anyone have any insight into admission practices of colleges/universities of the time that the Jewels were at Cornell.

The admissions process is something that has always fascinated me. What was the basis of admission for institutions like Cornell? I state such, because many of today have nightmares about applying to graduate school with the stringent requirements and essays, letters of recommendation, etc. Such is but a true attestment of the vigor and splendor that was had by our beloved Jewels. BRO. SKIP are you reading this. I know you can provide insight.

If the Jewels could persist in furthering their education WE all MUST be as determined.

Last edited by PHAShriner/1906; 06-25-2005 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool Bro. Square,...

I applaud you on such a provocative question. THIS ONE will require extensive thought.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Robert Harold Ogle

I most identify with Robert Harold Ogle. His work in government improved lives for all Americans. As a government employee and supporter of politics and political processes, I know first had how legislation can bring about change for the good and for the bad.

As a people we have allowed our political voice to become only a whisper. The civil rights struggle afforded much including opportunity. However, opportunity afforded by the civil rights of 1960's and early 1970's turned us into creatures desirous of things. To that end, our power is buying clothes, cars and bling bling.

We need a revolution that revitalizes not only our economic power but also political strength which will lend to improved health and housing conditions for AA. We need more men like Robert Harold Ogle to lobby, be the voice and write the vision so we can become one nation and one America.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

OA where you at - I thought this was a good question as well . . .
Old 07-11-2005, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Good question...

I would definately have to say...Jewel Vertner Woodson Tandy. Actually..he has always been my favorite, on one of my spec(personal in some areas) paddles, there is a huge seven at the end of it with all of the founder's headshots on there. Every bruh that sees it, wants it.

Nevertheless, I picked Jewel Tandy because of his hands-on involvement in creating the more "symbolic" aspects of the fraternity, such as the badge, banquets and the grip. I have a strong interest in symbolism, ranging from the fraternity's ritual to regalia during graduations. I appreciate the meaning of everything.

In addition, his personal attributes mirror most of mine, in that we both have an unique sense of humor and are known by others to do our "own thinking."

Lastly, he was involved in the academy. I also hope to become terminal in my area after I graduate from grad. school next April and become a professor at a leading institution of higher learning one day.

P.S. I have heard conversations about Tandy being a notorious "maker" of brothers...that would be me too
Old 07-15-2005, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool Me too Bruh!

I have always noted the sybolism in thangs too. For that reason and others, I would have to say I identify most with JEWEL Bro. Ogle. His contribution was the selection of the colors of our fraternity, and ALL bruhs should remember their significance.

I am not sure as to the admission requirements of the major universities at the turn of the century, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that the prospective student had to demonstrate some academic inclination. During this time, Knight-ridders were at their peak operation times; antagonizing and lynching brothus like sport once they determined the brotha could read and knew alittle sumpin'. THE JEWELS had to be special!!! They were admitted to Cornell; studied together, partied together, raised money together, and fought together to defend themselves and other AA students who were targets of all kinds of stupid behavior. They were objects of special interest to the American Government, which assumed them to be communists. In the fell clutch of circumstance, they didn't wince nor cry aloud. They FEARLESSLY stayed the course and made history, creating and maintaining the first BROTHERHOOD for AA collegiate men.

Last edited by The Original Ape; 07-26-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

lets bring this back to the to - - -