GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,402
2 members and 1,400 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-03-2002, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jbrookie82 Send a message via Yahoo to jbrookie82
Rush at University of Tennessee

I will be participating in formal recruitment at UT in about 2 weeks and need to know any information that anyone has about rush at UT. I have read lots of general info about recruitment, but have yet to find any UT specific info.
Also, I have no recs yet, so if anyone knows where I can get some from alumnae in TN or whoever it would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Jess
Old 08-04-2002, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know a whole lot about rush at UT, but if it's at all similar to rush at Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia or Auburn, you definitely need to get some recs. Do you know ANYONE who is a member of a sorority? Any friends of your mother/aunt/cousins? What about former teachers? Nashville may have an alumnae panhellenic association, so check into that. In my experience, most alumna members are happy to write recs for PNMs. It's just a matter of locating alums.
Also, you can find out what sororities are at UT and then look at their national websites to find alum groups in your area.
Good Luck!
Old 08-04-2002, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an alumna of UT. Unfortunately, Knoxville does not have a city panhellenic association, which would make it much easier for PMN's to track down recs. I suggest contacting the panhellenic office at UT. They'll have lists of the proper alumnae contacts.

Be sure to dress for comfort. It gets stiflingly hot in the Panhellenic Building in August when 1,000 girls are crammed in there. When the buzzer sounds, 14 (I think that's how many chapters we have there now) doors will be flung open, and about 100 or more girls in every room will all be clapping and singing 14 different songs. It's quite an experience. If in doubt, dress up. Nobody is ever offended by someone who's dressed up, but someone dressed too casually is another story.

Also, just sip the drinks (soft drinks and punch when I was there) you're offered. Don't drink every drop. There is just one small restroom on the main floor, where you go between rounds. I don't think I have to elaborate further. Definitely eat something beforehand.

Some chapters at UT will have more legacies going through than quota will allow them to take. Of course, legacies get extra consideration. (UT also will cut legacies unmercifully, though, especially if the legacy's mom or whatever didn't attend UT.) If you get cut by one of these chapters, don't take it personally. I would be proud to be a member of any chapter at UT, and in fact had friends in all of them. If you keep an open mind and go where you feel most comfortable, you'll find your home.

Last edited by Silverblue; 08-04-2002 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2002, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jbrookie82 Send a message via Yahoo to jbrookie82
Thanks a lot to all of you for your advice. I am getting very excited about rush and hope to try to secure some recs. Wish me luck!
If you think of any more advice feel free to pass it along.

Thanks!!!