Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,065
1 members and 1,064 guests
No Members online

Old 05-29-2004, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ajuhdg
Wink What would Canada do?

After flipping through the 'Who would Osama vote for?' thread, I'm compelled to ask:

What would Canada do if someone had crashed civilian airplanes into...something Canadian? (sorry, don't know much about Canada!)

I'm really curious of your opinion RACooper, especially because you've done such a job of commenting on how wrong and stupid America is for sending troops, etc. You've made several comments about how Canada this, and Canada that. I'm just really curious what you think your government would do. What if it had been you instead of us? What if it happened now after everything has happened?

Additionally, this is not meant to be mean, bitchy, or whatever, I just really would like to know!

aj
Old 05-29-2004, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Oh lets see...

Well lets look at what Canada did on/following 9/11 shall we?

*Okay immediately shut-down all flights like the FAA? check

*Accept flights turned back from US and house passengers? check

*Have police guard both mosques and US consulates/embassies? check

*Support the US action in Afghanistan? check

*Support UN resolution to involve international troops in Afghanistan? check

*Commit forces to help rebuild Afghanistan/Hunt down remaining Taliban and Osama? check

Where Canada disagreed with the US was what happened next - the whole Iraq thing. Our own intelligence saw no link between Al Queda and Saddam (quite the opposite in fact), and the power-point presentation that the ambassador gave wasn't convincing either.

As for my comments in the Who would Osama vote for thread: Everything started out okay with massive amounts of material, men, and money being thrown at the goal of eliminating Osama, Al Queda and it's supporters. But then this Iraq thing drew away men, material, and money (Bush cut funding) as well as stirring up even more distrust and hatred of the US and west in the region. Now the Taliban is making inroads again in Afghanistan. In effect I see that while Bush did serious damage to Al Queda in the beginnning, his Iraq campaign has only done good for terrorists lately. Finally I fully believe the maxim "Better the Devil you know" - The Bush Administration is understood; Kerry's is an unknown (could be more effective or not), so if I was an enemy I would want Bush to be in power because he is a known element......

"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Old 05-29-2004, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I think what ajuhdg wanted to know is what Canada would have done if someone had hijaked planes and crashed them into the CN Tower or the Parliament buildings in Ottawa; not how it reacted after the US was attacked on 9/11.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ajuhdg
Thank you, KR, that IS what I meant!

aj
Old 05-29-2004, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

They would REACT to the best of their ability and resources. Just the same as we did. And so would anyone else.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Look I tried to make a comment... but it is difficult to respond in the hypothetical... however if I was to draw on examples from the past I would say the reaction would have been similar to the US reaction by going after Osama in Afghanistan. What I commented on about it was "wrong" to send troops to was IRAQ... Iraq and Afghanistan, Saddam and Osama are two completely seperate countries and people that had nothing to do with each other....

As for what if it would happen now... well unfortunately we will probibly see, after all Canada was specifically threaten by Osama and Al Queda in the last release because of our troops in Afghanistan.

Yes Canada has suffered from terrorism before (and one case is still in the courts): War of 1812, Fenian Raids, Orange Men Bombing, Free Ireland Bombings, FLQ, Air India.. some would also argue Oka. In all but the FLQ case it was outside forces taking their domestic greivances out on Canadians... in each case the rule of law was followed and we didn't use them as excuses to settle old scores.

Old 05-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RACooper

.. some would also argue Oka.
Dude, as someone who actually heard the blast (as I was attending HS just a few miles away from the Murrah building), I will tell you that any incident's connection with Canada is coincidental *at best*.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 05-30-2004 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Oka Quebec.... summer of 1990....

Old 05-30-2004, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Pike1483
I think Bush has done tons to combat terrorism, as proved that we have had no major terrorist attacts on U.S. soil since 9-11. Everyone's quick to nag about Bush not doing enough about terrorism, and then when he does do something about it, the same people that nag that he doesn't do enough don't support him on it.

FOR INSTANCE: John Kerry voting to send troops in Iraq and then voting against the $87 billion to support the troops.

Oh wait, he actually voted for the money before he voted against it. Just another example of Kerry trying to pander to both sides and have it both ways.

And RACooper, I'm not a history buff, so please explain how the war of 1812 was terrorism against Canada.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RACooper
Oka Quebec.... summer of 1990....
Ah.. never mind
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-30-2004, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pike1483
And RACooper, I'm not a history buff, so please explain how the war of 1812 was terrorism against Canada.
The US declared war on the UK obsentively over the seizure of US seamen by British naval vessels during the Napoleonic War. Since an attack on the UK wasn't feasible the US attacked Upper and Lower Canada (present day Quebec and Ontario)... it was during these "attacks" that the burning of civilian population centre's was commited by US Militia units (not NY though, they refused to cross the border), as the people were labeled "traitors" because many were Loyalists that fled the US during the War for Indepence or shortly after; further natives were slaughtered out of hand: men, women, children... British and Canadian units retaliated at the end of the war by burning Washington and the White House.

Old 05-30-2004, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
The whole premise of this thread is invalid because it presupposes that Canada is a real nation.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
I think many of you are being terribly rude to not only RACooper but also many of the other Canadians on this board. Why is it perfectly ok for us to be proud of our country, but not for them to be proud of theirs? These people are our Greek brothers and sisters and you are doing anything but showing the love. Healthy debate and agreeing to disagree is fine. Ridiculing their country is not.

I think the point RA was making is that Canada would have done essentially the same thing we did, short of going into Iraq. I am hoping that nothing like 9/11 happens ever again anywhere.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Well said, swissmiss!

"The FB-111A (a now-retired fighter-bomber) would have made an excellent aircraft... if we ever went to war against Canada!"

Seriously, folks, no need to sh*t on our neighbors to the north and to the south. We're not the only badasses on the block.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 05-30-2004, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiPsiRuss
The whole premise of this thread is invalid because it presupposes that Canada is a real nation.
A really unnecessary comment. Canada is a great nation and has been our good friend and allied with us in about everything but Iraq.

You might remember that more than a few of us didn't agree with that little adventure either. Nor did many of our NATO and other friends.

If you ever visit NORAD, the North American Aerospace Defense Command, you will realize that Canada and the US are partners in defending our continent.

Besides, comments like that are rude -- I can't think of a better word.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.