Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,334
0 members and 1,334 guests
No Members online

Old 06-07-2002, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Paddles

What are your feelings about paddles? I know of some chapters who do not require each pledge class to make paddles and then I know of some chapters that require each pledge to make a paddle. I also know of some chapters that strongly object to paddles because of their association with hazing.

What are your thoughts?
Old 06-07-2002, 12:08 PM

We each made paddles for our bigs. We did not make a pledge class paddle, mainly because there would have been nowhere to display them (we had no permanent structure or suite).

I see nothing wrong with paddles whatsoever - after I did all that work on it I sure as heck wasn't going to hit anyone w/ it and all my brothers felt the same!
Old 06-07-2002, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Mu Alpha Chapter used to require that pledges make a paddle before they were initiated.

In more recent years, we don't require it before initiation, but it is expected that the pledge class makes one to hang in the office before they all graduate. TRADITIONALLY, a Brother cannot speak at pledge meetings unless their line has a paddle, but that has definitely relaxed over the past two years.

Also, when a pledge is initiated into my chapter, their Big Brother takes ownership of the pledgebook. The ONLY way the Brother can earn their book back is to make a paddle for their Big.

Ah, my Big's Paddle. . .it's an interesting story, because me and my friend Nikki, who was pledging Malika Kambe Umfazi at the time, both have wood from the same plank. Her half of the plank was used for something else, but about three feet of mine was used for this HUGE paddle I made my Big.

I had our names and other crossing information on the front, like nicknames, numbers, etc. From another peice of wood, I had the Greek letters cut out and painted blue and glued on the front of the paddle. On the Phi, I painted a rising sun and glued twelve pearls in a circle, so the Phi looked like the pin. On the back, I put laminated pictures of me and my big. Finally, I put a clear finish on the whole thing and gave it to her in front of the whole chapter.

But I was mad because I still wasn't given my book back for another two years almost! But, she did give it back to me on graduation day, and that was quite special.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Paddles

Well, at my chapter you don't have to. But we do have sisters who make them for themselves. I had one, but after moving, a lot of the letters came off. I need to make another.

My chapter was presented with a big chapter paddle from our brothers (Brothers of the Rising Sun, ATL Alumni Chapter) when we were chartered two years ago. I still have that one, it means a lot to us.

Hey, dardenr your paddle sounds like it was tight. I need you to make me one with my sorority symbols on it and stuff. How much do you charge?

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 06-07-2002, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DramaQueen42401 Send a message via Yahoo to DramaQueen42401
Our chapter requires our littles to make a paddle or some type of sentimental gift for their big. The big is required to buy their little's line jersey. At banquet, they swap the paddle and jersey and say why or what made them design it the way they did. My line made our pledge trainer one huge paddle. It had all 16 names on it (may have been 15, b/c one dude disappeared) and other lil decorations. I swear that paddle was almost as tall as me, and I'm 5'10".

I can't wait to get a little b/c I want a paddle tooooo!! Lol.

"Leadership, Friendship, Service"
Old 06-07-2002, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bro_strawter
Naw, we don't require paddles at Psi Phi. We purchase all kinds of 'nalia for them that we usually pass out at their banquet or after the probate show.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Paddles

Shooooot, that paddle was one of a kind. . .as much as I'd like to make another. . . .naw. If I NEVER have to smell paint, wood, and finish, it will be too soon.

But you know my mom is an old school Delta, so you know I had to go all out for any paddle I made. Her man in college was a Kappa and made her this like six foot paddle that had the Kappa sheild on one end and the Delta shield on the other. I grew up like what the heck is this thing in the corner?

Quote:
Originally posted by gamma_girl52
Well, at my chapter you don't have to. But we do have sisters who make them for themselves. I had one, but after moving, a lot of the letters came off. I need to make another.

My chapter was presented with a big chapter paddle from our brothers (Brothers of the Rising Sun, ATL Alumni Chapter) when we were chartered two years ago. I still have that one, it means a lot to us.

Hey, dardenr your paddle sounds like it was tight. I need you to make me one with my sorority symbols on it and stuff. How much do you charge?
Old 06-07-2002, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey! Long time no see. . .

I feel you. . .my first little crossed in Fall 2000. . .I'm still waiting on my first paddle. :-( However, my Big did get me a traditional paddle from http://www.thegreekshop.com for my birthday last year. Not personalized, though.

Quote:
Originally posted by DramaQueen42401
Our chapter requires our littles to make a paddle or some type of sentimental gift for their big. The big is required to buy their little's line jersey. At banquet, they swap the paddle and jersey and say why or what made them design it the way they did. My line made our pledge trainer one huge paddle. It had all 16 names on it (may have been 15, b/c one dude disappeared) and other lil decorations. I swear that paddle was almost as tall as me, and I'm 5'10".

I can't wait to get a little b/c I want a paddle tooooo!! Lol.