GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,288
4 members and 1,284 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 08-11-2004, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Salary ?

I know this belongs in "careers and employment" but no one ever really seems to read that forum.

So...

Sometimes when you are applying for a job, they ask your salary expectations. I've always been advised to ignore this.

Now (hypothetically), let's say the prospective employer looks at your resume anyway, and really likes it, but contacts you via email to say, we want to chat with you, but first we need to know your salary expectations.

Is there any gracious way to tell them that I can work within their budgets? I don't want to shoot too high or too low by giving them a number at this point in the game.

What do you think? Looking for opinions of those who are out in the professional workforce and have experience with this.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2004, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I think Vault.com had something on that question...
I love that website. (omg, I'm a stealth marketter! *cries*)

I've been asked, and will usually find some sort of idea of what similar jobs pay and then give a $K range that has it in its middle. Of course, I've never been actually hired by a company that asked for my salary expectations, so it's a moo point.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I was given this hint many years ago. Maybe it will help.

First, whoever bring up money first is at a disadvantage so don't bring it up. I was taught to respond, "What would a person with my qualifications and expertise, do you feel, would be a fair compensation?" Or something like that. If up against a wall, I would highball it.

And, NEVER ever show them your most recent pay stub and if you can say you make more than you really do because it's bad news taking a pay cut in most situations.

And take into account parking, health insurance, gas, etc. That can really really add up.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aabby757
I was given this hint many years ago. Maybe it will help.

First, whoever bring up money first is at a disadvantage so don't bring it up. I was taught to respond, "What would a person with my qualifications and expertise, do you feel, would be a fair compensation?" Or something like that. If up against a wall, I would highball it.
This will only work with a hiring manager. If you have an experienced recruiter they will throw that ball right back in your court. This question is used to see if you are truly a viable candidate.
Good companies are not trying to get a great candidate at a "steal" price by trying to see if you would take much less that they were originally willing to offer, although they are not above getting a slight discount As someone else said, do some research on what is typical for the job and then give a range (i.e. Based on my research, someone with my skills and experience could expect a total compensation package of $XX - XX and that sounds reasonable to me. My salary requirements are negotiable, however, depending on the position requirements and other factors." ) Also use total compensation package as your $$ amount and take into consideration things like bonus, benefits, vacation, etc. Using the TCP allows you to be much more flexible and stealthy (is that a word) than using just base salary. If the company assumes your TCP requirements are really your base requirements and they are ok with that....oh well!

Highballing can be dangerous unless you know your skill set is in high demand. If you come too high the company might assume that they cannot afford you and stop recruiting for that reason.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Banned

I would write negotiable.

But what do I know, I'm employed and making lots of money.

-Rudey
Old 08-11-2004, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Tell them you dont like celery.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
I would write negotiable.
Definitely.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh noooooooooo! I am freaking out-- I knew I was supposed to write negotiable but yet I didn't! I applied for a job at a local university and on it I put $"my salary" min (I obviously put my real salary on it) See I was totally not even thinking, but I put my salary minimum because the amount I make is just enough to get by on for me (live check to check...obviously not a large salary)! So I went to change it on my online application and now it is under review and I cannot change it!

Is this bad!?!?!?
Old 08-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiAkron
Oh noooooooooo! I am freaking out-- I knew I was supposed to write negotiable but yet I didn't! I applied for a job at a local university and on it I put $"my salary" min (I obviously put my real salary on it) See I was totally not even thinking, but I put my salary minimum because the amount I make is just enough to get by on for me (live check to check...obviously not a large salary)! So I went to change it on my online application and now it is under review and I cannot change it!

Is this bad!?!?!?
Not that bad. Listen if they want you for a job, they want you for it and salary isn't what's right up in their face. Once you get the job, negotiate over the salary if you feel it might be too low.

-Rudey
Old 08-11-2004, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks Rudey! The minimum I put is on the lower half of the pay scale that they have posted so I feel a little better! Good points thanks again!