Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,263
1 members and 1,262 guests
LaneSig

Old 03-12-2010, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Extremists of any color or belief can commit terrorism

Editor's note: Arsalan Iftikhar is an international human rights lawyer, founder of TheMuslimGuy.com and legal fellow for the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding, a nonprofit research organization in Washington, D.C.

(CNN) -- Within the last month, our country has witnessed two senseless, high-profile acts of criminal violence that would have been labeled terrorism if brown-skinned Arab Muslim men with foreign-sounding names had committed them.

Because two white men committed these acts of violence, however, our political and media chattering class never used the word "terrorism" in its discussions.

Most recently, John Patrick Bedell, a 36-year-old man from California, walked up to two security guards outside the Pentagon Metro station in suburban Washington and started shooting. He was then shot and killed. According to The Christian Science Monitor, Bedell appeared "to have been a right-wing extremist with virulent anti-government feelings" and also battled mental illness before his shooting rampage.

A few weeks ago, on February 18, another white anti-government extremist named Joseph Stack flew his small airplane into an Internal Revenue Service building in Austin, Texas, killing two people and injuring 13 others.

According to media reports, Stack had left behind a disjointed suicide letter in which he expressed his hatred of our American government and outlined grievances with the IRS, chillingly stating that "violence not only is the answer; it is the only answer."

Both the Pentagon Metro and IRS attacks come at a time of "explosive growth in [domestic] extremist-group activism across the United States," according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

A recently released law center report showed so-called patriot groups -- steeped in anti-government conspiracy theories -- grew from 149 in 2008 to 512 in 2009 -- a 244 percent increase that the Southern Poverty Law Center report judged to be an "astonishing" rise in the one-year period since President Obama took the oath of office. The number of these groups that are domestic extremist paramilitary militias grew from 42 in 2008 to 127 in 2009, the report said.

link
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Not sure how I feel about this article. While I do agree that terrorism comes in many forms, I don't like the impression that white people are never called terrorist. That is pure BS.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought the Pentagon shooter was a left wing nut, but the article says he's a right winger.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

I drive by the OKC bombing memorial several times a day -- a reminder that terrorism can come from just about anywhere.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-13-2010, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Editor's note: Arsalan Iftikhar is an international human rights lawyer, founder of TheMuslimGuy.com and legal fellow for the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding, a nonprofit research organization in Washington, D.C.

(CNN) -- Within the last month, our country has witnessed two senseless, high-profile acts of criminal violence that would have been labeled terrorism if brown-skinned Arab Muslim men with foreign-sounding names had committed them.

Because two white men committed these acts of violence, however, our political and media chattering class never used the word "terrorism" in its discussions.

Most recently, John Patrick Bedell, a 36-year-old man from California, walked up to two security guards outside the Pentagon Metro station in suburban Washington and started shooting. He was then shot and killed. According to The Christian Science Monitor, Bedell appeared "to have been a right-wing extremist with virulent anti-government feelings" and also battled mental illness before his shooting rampage.

A few weeks ago, on February 18, another white anti-government extremist named Joseph Stack flew his small airplane into an Internal Revenue Service building in Austin, Texas, killing two people and injuring 13 others.

According to media reports, Stack had left behind a disjointed suicide letter in which he expressed his hatred of our American government and outlined grievances with the IRS, chillingly stating that "violence not only is the answer; it is the only answer."

Both the Pentagon Metro and IRS attacks come at a time of "explosive growth in [domestic] extremist-group activism across the United States," according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.

A recently released law center report showed so-called patriot groups -- steeped in anti-government conspiracy theories -- grew from 149 in 2008 to 512 in 2009 -- a 244 percent increase that the Southern Poverty Law Center report judged to be an "astonishing" rise in the one-year period since President Obama took the oath of office. The number of these groups that are domestic extremist paramilitary militias grew from 42 in 2008 to 127 in 2009, the report said.

link
Wow
Old 03-13-2010, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this sounds flip and trite, but damn you Jihad Jane for making it harder for me to go through security now. Yeah Yeah there's no racial profiling but why did you have to put white ladies on the radar.

I'd also consider the kooks who set fire to temples, synagogues, homes of nonwhite people or religious minorities terrorists too. I'd like all of those people to leave Idaho and go back to wherever they came from, because they are not native Idahoans.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Not sure how I feel about this article. While I do agree that terrorism comes in many forms, I don't like the impression that white people are never called terrorist. That is pure BS.
When I hear of activities such as this that have been committed by white people, I DON'T hear the word terrorist being used. Like it or not, it seems that the word "terrorist" is only used when the person is a foreigner and in particular when they come from the Middle East, Africa, or even Asia.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

They used it with Terry Nichols and Timothy McVeigh.