GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,351
4 members and 1,347 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 09-09-2005, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

IFC at Syracuse bans "open" parties

(Glad to see some self-regulation involved. I've often wondered what an "open party" - with the GLO paying to entertain non members - actually does to help the GLO?)

(from Doug Case and Fraternal News)

The Daily Orange
Syracuse University
September 9, 2005

IFC restricts open fraternity parties
By Amy Potenza

This past weekend, Syracuse University's campus was alive and jumping at all hours of the night with hundreds of students flocking down Comstock Avenue and Walnut Place searching for a fraternity party to attend.

Greek life represents a large portion of the SU community. Dr. Roy Baker, associate dean of students, and Joshua McIntosh, senior associate director, are now holding all recognized fraternities more accountable to their respective national organizations' standards.

"We are asking fraternities to follow their own national policies; the national office of their organization says these things and sets these regulations," McIntosh said. "If a fraternity does not follow these rules, it is then a system of accountability with SU, the Inter-Fraternity Council and their national office."

Greek administrators are now enforcing these accountability issues over a very short amount of time.

"There are continuing series and changes in greek life, in terms of administrators," said Brandon Fierro of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity. "Under certain situations, some social events are OK, but then they will go back on their decisions, and that is not fair to those who it affects most."

On Tuesday, the IFC executive board conducted a meeting with 19 chapter presidents and their delegates, where they decided fraternities can no longer host open parties.

"The party is not going to stop, but it is going to get cleaned up," said Chris VanDeWeert, IFC president and member of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity. "These social policies may seem drastic, but are needed to protect fraternities from violations, punishments and to protect students."

The IFC is drafting a letter that will be sent to SU students regarding these new policies in order to prevent potentially dangerous situations.

"Administrators and the IFC are making these changes in a very sweeping manner, without the input or consulting those who it affects most," Fierro said. "This is not only about parties, but this has a very large effect on our day-to-day lives, philanthropy and socializing."

McIntosh has requested greek life participants to pay special attention to their Facebook.com group memberships and profiles.

"This is an example of what type of content they are trying to control," said Fierro.

Syracuse Police and Public Safety intervened in situations outside the Zeta Psi fraternity and the Theta Chi fraternity this past weekend due to the large groups of people forming on their respective properties.

"We see it fit that the police and Public Safety do something to intervene where public disturbances and dangers to students are evident," McIntosh said.

In the past few years, greek life has changed substantially, said Loren Peterkin of the Phi Kappa Theta fraternity.

"The whole system is not what it was when I pledged," Peterkin said. "And I preferred the system the way it was when I first joined."

SU continually seeks to improve the public's perception of greek life.

"This is focusing more on the public's perception of fraternities, since we are aiming to become a bigger part of the community," said Steven Prior, IFC chair of community service and Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity member. "Certain fraternities may be frustrated because rules are being enforced now that never have before, but we have to act as a responsible house and responsible men."

Many chapters are taking moves to control and regulate their property, but some chapters also feel some regulations are not fair.

"We are asking that students use their fraternity or sorority letters in a respectful and responsible manner," McIntosh said, "and not associate their national organizations with things that could be deemed disrespectable."

Greek life offers opportunities in networking, friendships and academics, providing students with leadership experience.

"I just don't want students getting hurt," McIntosh said. "The greek system has great rewards and is should be seen in a positive light."

Last edited by hoosier; 09-09-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:20 PM

Re: IFC at Syracuse bans "open" parties

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
I've often wondered what an "open party" - with the GLO paying to entertain non members - actually does to help the GLO?
People get to know the fraternity who might not have ever went through rush otherwise, and it dispells the notion of Greeks as snobs who only socialize with other Greeks.

Although I doubt that these parties were free - any open party I ever went to, you paid to get in.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:53 PM

Re: IFC at Syracuse bans "open" parties

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
I've often wondered what an "open party" - with the GLO paying to entertain non members - actually does to help the GLO?)

Sort of like rush?
Old 09-09-2005, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

My campus had free open parties. The fraternities were the main hosts usually there was a party every friday and saturday night (3 fraternities and 2 sororities) We had two parties a year and followed our guidelines but that was hard to do. I don't reccomend them. They don't work for rush, and they just trash your house. It is hard to hold non-members accountable for the damage.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

well, 11 years ago, i was at a fraternity party at syracuse and you had to pay for a cup. the thing was that no one was paying for cups because they were getting them from people who were leaving. anyway, that was a long time ago. we went to a party at an apartment and i ended up with a broken nose and a long chat with the police. thankfully, i hadn't been drinking.

and my campus had free, open parties. don't know how it works now, tho.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

As others pointed out, open parties can help with community relations between Greeks and independents and serve as an excellent rush tool.

At The University of Kentucky (UK) - back in the day - there use to be three different types of fraternity parties: mixer, house, and campus. Most of these were open to the UK community in some degree, yet rarely anyone else.

Mixers (exchanges) were held during mid week (usually Wednesdays after chapter) and involved a sorority coming over. May or may not have some sort of theme. Some times it would be more of an 'open house' in that all sororities would be invited i.e. Derby Day week. Sometimes mixers would be open to the whole campus which really meant any UK coed. Or the non UK girlfriends of brothers.

House parties were usually on the weekend and had a band or DJ and almost always involved some sort of a guest list. The guest list might include any UK Greek or UK student (open). There might be a small cover charge to get in and usually a doorman (often non fraternity member). Numbers of attendees were kept under control. May or may not have some sort of theme. Alumni and parents weekend type of events fell under this as well.

Campus parties were usually held Friday afternoons or the Saturday afternoon after a home football game. Usually held around or in conjunction with one of the chapter's philanthropy events. Usually a cover charge and most parties were held outside due to space. Pull up a flat bed truck, put a band or DJ on it and party. Often in the street but usually in the house's parking lot. The actual fraternity house was usually off limits except to members and their guests. And for a marked bathroom area mainly for use by the women. Most/all had bouncers at the doors to enforce this.

I should note that at the time it was legal (both UK and Commonwealth of Kentucky policy) for an 18 year old to drink in/on 'private property'. Dorm rooms, and fraternity houses (property) were considered private even though they may be on campus. Yet, in all my years at UK, I never heard of fights breaking out, any serious alcohol related accidents, nor really any damage to the house/property to speak of. Just massive clean up the next day. But then again, that was what pledges were for.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Open Parties at Syracuse are free (well for the past three years that i've been here). The fraternities use open parties to try and recruit.

The first few weekends you see freshman all over greek row (comstock and walnut place) and parties rarely get out of hand.

What our great new Dean doesn't realize is that these freshmen will turn to Marshall street bars, which the only way they'll get in is by getting a fake or apartment parties outside of campus which cannot be controlled by the University.

Its a great way to shift the liability issue from IFC but it doesn't really stop the problem of underage drinking.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nieng17
Open Parties at Syracuse are free (well for the past three years that i've been here). The fraternities use open parties to try and recruit.

The first few weekends you see freshman all over greek row (comstock and walnut place) and parties rarely get out of hand.

What our great new Dean doesn't realize is that these freshmen will turn to Marshall street bars, which the only way they'll get in is by getting a fake or apartment parties outside of campus which cannot be controlled by the University.

Its a great way to shift the liability issue from IFC but it doesn't really stop the problem of underage drinking.

While this may be true or not, with Risk Management ergo The Title of this Thread, it is becoming such a big thing with the 18 Year Old Drinking Law. This is today, not the Mom and Dad Days at College.

The Colleges are cracking down and to whom do they look at first? Dah? The most prolific and out going Groups=Social Greeks.

I think I can fully Estimate that Greeks AND Colleges both have Cranial Head Problems.

Maybe if We dont work together between GLOs and with The Adm. We will go the way of the Mastadons. Only read about in History!

LX Z # 1
Alumni