Members: 326,166
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,513
3 members and 1,510 guests
IndianaSigKap, John, Xidelt

Old 09-03-2009, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Drunk nun, drunk nun, whatcha gonna do ...

She's a habitual drinker! I'm here all week, try the veal, etc....

http://www.examiner.com/x-19666-Long...d-in-DWI-crash

Nassau County (NY) nun arrested in DWI crash

September 3, 10:54 AM - Long Island Legal News Examiner - Michael Nardolillo

A Nassau County nun will have a few more penance prayers to say after police arrested her for suspected drunken driving in Wantagh early Tuesday evening.

Sister Lauren M. Hanley, 68, Spiritual Development Director of St. Frances de Chantal Church in Wantagh, was arrested at around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday on charges of driving while intoxicated (DWI) and aggravated driving while intoxicated, both misdemeanors.

Nassau County prosecutors say that Sister Hanley drank a half a bottle of gin at the church that afternoon before getting behind the wheel. According to witnesses, she zigzagged down Hawthorne Avenue, sideswiped several cars, and narrowly missed hitting a group of children playing in front of the church, before crashing into a tree. Sister Hanley reportedly had a blood-alcohol content (BAC) of 0.18%, more than twice the legal limit in New York. Police also found a bottle of liquor in her car.

In addition to the DWI charges, which could land her up to one year in jail, Hanley was also faces a violation for driving an uninspected vehicle. She was released on her own recognizance Wednesday, and is due back in court Friday.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I died laughing at the title of this thread. Really.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm curious to see how this plays out. This will be interesting if she goes to trial. While she admitted she was guilty, I wonder if they are going to be able to find 12 people willing to send a nun to jail. Also, what is aggravated DWI? Any of the GC willing ot help me out?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Nope...guilty is guilty...hehehe!

Acually I bet if they do find her guilty, she won't do a day in jail.

She may lose her habit for not kicking the habit.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 09-04-2009, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I'm curious to see how this plays out. This will be interesting if she goes to trial. While she admitted she was guilty, I wonder if they are going to be able to find 12 people willing to send a nun to jail. Also, what is aggravated DWI? Any of the GC willing ot help me out?
As I understand NY law, there are three levels to driving while intoxicated. Aggravated DWI is the highest of the three levels. I think it's purely based on your blood-alcohol level.

ETA: Here's a link to the State of NY site that briefly explains the distinction: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/DMVfaqs.htm
Old 09-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
While she admitted she was guilty, I wonder if they are going to be able to find 12 people willing to send a nun to jail.
I would if I could.

An irresponsible and potentially deadly nun is the same kind of moron as any other irresponsible and potentially deadly person.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I am sure that the Church attorneys will have her take a plea and attend AA or counseling. We have a BIG drunk driving problem on LI with some high profile accidents. The police blotter in our town paper has more DUI / suspended license cases than anything else. The legislature has passed tougher laws and the DA is taking a hardline. Hopefully the nun will get some help.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 09-04-2009, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I don't think being a nun helps any in this day and age. The church scandals have made it pretty clear that those in religious orders can harm others and that we may not be able to rely on the Church to protect us.

And I agree that the title of the thread is awesome. But now, I've got the Cops theme in my head.