GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,499
2 members and 1,497 guests
Xidelt

Old 03-11-2003, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mooch279
lavaliering

I was wondering how other chapters handle this, does the chapter vote on who can be lavaliered? So questionable girls don't get to wear our letters.
University of Maryland, Baltimore County '02
FD 279
Old 03-11-2003, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Billy, that is up to the individual Brother who he is going to lavalier not the Zeta!

I am sure most Brothers are not going to Lavalier a Bowser are they?

It is none of the Brothers business if you have fallen for a girl. She may not be a "Miss" anything, but one hell of a girl!

As I remember, I dont know to many LXA's that look like the late Brother Robert Urich do you. I sure as heck am not one of them!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-12-2003, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Mooch279
you make a good point, and i agree its none of our business who a brother falls for. but dont you think it is our business who wears our letters and represents the fraternity? i have heard of chapters voting a weather or not someone can be lavaliered. right now my chapter doesn't do this but looking back now their have been case where we all (my chapter) smack ourselves in the head because one of the brothers lavaliered a girl that most of the brothers couldn't stand and didnt want representing the fraternity on campus. not b/c of how she looked but how she acted.
University of Maryland, Baltimore County '02
FD 279
Old 03-12-2003, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pman233
When I was a NIB, the older brothers highly encouraged me to lavalier my then girlfriend. Whether this was a reflection on my status or my girlfriend remains to be seen, but the elder consensus seemed to be either "what are you waiting for" or "it's the proper thing to do."

The chapter would, however, voice opinion if a brother had been lavaliered, broke up with the girl, and then got lavaliered AGAIN to a different girl. The phrase "giving our letters away" would come up pretty quickly in that scenario. Personally, I've been broken up with the girl I lavaliered for 11 years, married for 8, and finally gave my wife a lavalier for Christmas - but that's just me.

I've also seen brothers who have broken up with a lavaliered girlfriend request to be the one to present to a newly elected sweetheart, thus giving back to the Zeta instead of giving the letters away randomly. Giving the previously worn lavalier to your mother was also very popular.

Funny - until I saw this thread, I had almost forgotten what a big deal this was in my younger days.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MattJackson5 Send a message via Yahoo to MattJackson5
lavaliering

I've heard mixed opinions on this issue. I've seen this done twice in my chapter that I know of. In one instance, a brother lavaliered a girl he had been dating for a long time--they since broke up and he took it back, but she was someone who none of the brothers minded wearing anything identifying her with the Fraternity. This other situation was a girl who thought just because she was dating a brother that she deserved it. Personally, I feel it's a judgement call, ya know? If she's someone really special, and you're really head over heels in love then why not? I think it was Jack Mason who wrote that it was the highest compliment to pay to a lady.

In ZAX,
Matt
Old 03-19-2003, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1843
The way I feel about it is if I'm giving my letters to a girl then she means as much to me as the fraternity does. It would be an equally hard choice for me to choose between something brotherhood related and her. I've seen brothers give lavaliers away after less than a month just so they could do it before they graduate and others who have dated for years and still refuse to lavalier a girl...it all depends...