Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,582
2 members and 1,580 guests
Cookiez17, flirt5721

Old 08-07-2009, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Why is it so hard to join?

I am really interested in becoming a member of Beta Sigma Phi, but I've had no luck in making that happen (admittedly, I have not put a ton of effort into it, but that's because I just don't know where else to turn!). About a year ago, I started researching community sororities and BSP sounded great. At that time, I was returned to school as an adult to finish my degree and was looking to meet other women of my age. Unfortunately, due to financial issues, that's on hold right now (I need just 2 more classes for my AS degree!!) and I still don't really know any women in my community. Although I'm a busy, working mom I have a strong committment and desire to make friendships with women and maintain a life outside of being a mom (and my husband supports me fully). I contacted BSP last year and was told they would send my contact info along to local chapters; I never heard another word. Again this week I emailed them and was told the same thing, but I have no reason to believe I'll be contacted. Plus, I don't even KNOW of chapters in my area (I live in NH if anyone knows of any!). What do I do? How do I make this happen?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on finishing up school and getting your degree!

I think the reason why it's hard to join BSP for some is because the chapters in that area aren't actively looking for new members. It makes me sad deserving ladies don't have a chance to get to know us because of that.

We do have 12 chapters in NH as of 2008. I suggest calling the division chairman Vivian or emailing her, viviani@betasigmaphi.org. (816) 444-6800 International (888) 238-2221 Membership

Best of luck!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via AIM to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via Yahoo to HeavenslilAngel
I agree with twotimestalia. Also, you may want to follow up with them in a few days if no info is sent. Keep following up about once a week or every couple weeks until you get an answer. If the opportunities are not there or you don't feel that you fit with any of the chapters etc, there's always the friendly venturing (starting a new chapter of BSP) option. You would want to call International though in order to get more info on that process (i.e. if theres a certain number of members needed etc) then you can meet new women and give them the opportunity to join the sisterhood. You can always join an online chapter as well or join as a member at large until you find or create a chapter. I've been in an online chapter, was a member at large and joined a new friendly ventured chapter back in January.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

My sisters have given you good information. Unfortunately, many chapters reach a self-imposed "cap" in their membership due to the size of their meeting location or other reasons. So even if they receive your name, they might not feel capable of taking on a new member. Or sadly, the chapters in your area might not be active at this time.

So you just have to keep trying! An online chapter could be a good option for you, but you will not have the same sorority experience as you would in a "land" chapter. It sounds like you are eager to meet women in your community, so a Friendly Venture might be right for you.

Keep in touch.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 08-11-2009, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the help, ladies! I'm going to wait a bit longer and then inquire about FV. Problem with that is, although I'm open to it, I don't even know enough people here to get a group together to start. But I do have some ideas so we'll see.

I'll keep you posted!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

When I started a Friendly Venture in Massachusetts, I hardly knew a soul. Fortunately, one girl brought in three of her friends! With a necessary number of only seven, we were well on our way It can happen!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient