Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,407
1 members and 1,406 guests
FSUZeta

Old 01-12-2004, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Exclamation SWGP Announcements

This thread will contain general announcements made by our SWGP.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
January 12, 2004

Dear Brothers,

I have just returned over the weekend in Scottsdale Arizona from a North American conference meeting of NIC , NPC Fraternity and Sorority Presidents, Executive Directors, and representatives of the AFA and FEA Associations in which to review the past year and ascertain consensus and various views and emerging trends within the North American Greek Movement for the future. I was joined by Executive Director Shawn Collinsworth and Executive Director Emeritus Dud Daniel who attended his 52nd consecutive annual meeting.

I was very proud to represent our organization along with Shawn and Dud in which the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity is held in very high regard in Interfraternity circles for the strong progress achieved in our growing member census, undergraduate leadership training curriculum now in its ninth year of development, and for our emerging proactive expansion initiatives which are being taken noticed by various groups. Our Shield magazine publication is considered to be among the very best in the Interfraternitry World in which some organizations of larger size and chapter base only have one to two issues a year of a lesser quality. Our recent inaugural Project 2025 National Housing Conference in Las Vegas was among the many compliments mentioned of our organization.

I am also excited to share that Phi Kappa Psi has a very ambitious agenda planned in the next six months leading up to the 72nd Grand Arch Council in San Diego as we will be completing the work of our 2002-2004 Biennial Plan of Action and our related Appointed Officer portfolio areas in the following...

January- Presidents Leadership Academy - Guest Speakers Harry Henderson and Gordon R. Letterman - Dud Daniel- Perry Copper Boys and Girls Club of America

February Project 2025 Steering Committee Meeting - National Fire Sprinkler Initiative Chaired by John Zigelmeyer - Director of House Corporations Shannon Price

2004 First collective nationwide undertaking of Phi Kappa Psi Alumni Associations Founders Day Tribute to ''America's Greatest Generation '' Chairman Tryon Hubbard

March
Exceutive Council Meeting....Project 2025 Fire Sprinkler Initiative and new Phi Kappa Psi ''Life Loyal '' Alumni Initiative -Chairman Immediate Past President Steven E Nieslawski and Coordinator of Alumni Relations Tryon Hubbard

New Volunteer Orientation - Chairman Steven O'Rourke

Strategic 2004-2014 Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity Inc Plan of Action - Chairman Shawn Collinsworth

April - Phi Kappa Psi National Day of Service and new Boys and Girls Club of America service intiatives....Chairman Jerry Dunlap and Ast Chairman Jim Boyle

NIC ''Go To Vote in 2004'' National Presidential Campaign Initiative - Chairman Bob Marchesani

May -June

Phi Kappa Psi Grand Catalogue- Chairman Shawn Collinsworth

Phi Kappa Psi 3rd Volume of Sesquicentennial History- Senior Editor Kent Owen, Project Chairman John Ciccarelli, Shawn Collinsworth and Rev David McDonald

June Executive Council Meeting

In addition we are anticipating this Spring the prospects of up to three charterings of new chapters and the announcements of planned new colonies to support our goal of 125 chapter roster within ten years and a goal by the end of the decade. The Phi Psi Headquarters Staff will also be presenting a revised plan to augment our new Hyparchos Area Advisor Program.

I wish to take this opportunity to thank many of our dedicated members of our Elected and Appointed Officer and Professional Headquarters team who are working hard to advance the mission and stated goals of the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity.

I look forward to the weeks and months ahead in Phi Kappa Psi with great anticipation and a very strong sense of purpose.

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...
58th President of Phi Kappa Psi

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 03-23-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

January 24, 2004

Dear Brothers,

On Thursday January 22 2004, the Brothers of Indiana Zeta at Butler University hosted a special evening chapter reception on the eve of the Phi Kappa Psi Presidents Leadership Academy

I was very pleased to be joined by Brother Gordon Letterman (West Virginia Alpha '72) and Executive Director Emeritus Ralph D. Daniel (Arizona Alpha '47) as we enjoyed the opportunity to meet and speak to the chapter Brotherhood. The Indiana Zeta chapter roster has just recently topped 105 members, with the addition of 30 new outstanding pledges.

I wished to recognize Chapter G.P. Jared Persinger and alumni advisors Bob Marchesani, Ray Volpe, Mickey Rodgers, and John Esteb who helped organize the evening program, in which the entire Butler University campus administration was represented.

I especially wish to thank University President Dr.Bobby Fong, Vice President of Student Affairs Levester Johnson, Dean of Student Life Irene Stevens and Director of Greek Life Becky Druetler who each took the time to visit Indiana Zeta earlier in the evening in an incredible display of university administration support of quality Butler University Greek Community programming.

Indiana Zeta has been recognized by its host institution and the City of Indianapolis for their philantopic support of Hope Lodge and in the nationally recognized effort to assist the Butler Hillel Council in the Fall of 2002.

I wish to express my appreciation to Phi Psi Brothers Stu Rhodes, Eric Sampson , Hyparchos Area Advisor Mac Mclaughlin and Phi Psi Director of Chapter Services Chad Stegemiller who also attended in the chapter tribute.

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 03-02-2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

2004 Phi Kappa Psi Presidents Leadership Academy

January 28, 2004

Dear Brothers,

I am happy to share that the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity hosted its ninth annual Presidents Leadership Academy on this past weekend in which over eighty Phi Psi Chapter and Colony Presidents participated in this outstanding leadership training learning forum at the IUPUI conference center in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our special thanks to Phi Psi Director of Leadership Development Shane Yates who did an outstanding job in organizing and facilitating this resource learning conference

The program began with a special preconference on Friday Jan 23 and was followed with the opening session in which Executive Director Shawn Collinsworth addressed the conference delegates.The program kicked off with a special address by Brother Harry Henderson Indiana Epsilon '51(Honorary National Chairman 2004 Founders Day Observances and theme tribute to ''America's Greatest Generation)'' who gave an inspirational speech that highlighted the need to exemplify the virtues of Honesty and Integrity in all leadership applications and our daily lives. Later in the afternoon, Fraternity Mystagogue Brother Kent Owen, Indiana Beta '57 addressed the undergraduate audience on the need , importance and commitment to emulate the true founding principles of our Fraternity and of the role of the Chapter GP to lead by his example. At the conclusion of Kent's address it was my pleasure to present to Kent and Suzi Owen Sesquicentennial Commemorative Medallions in appreciation to their loyal support of our beloved Fraternity

On Saturday, January 25, Brother Gordon R. Letterman , West Virginia Alpha '72 delievered an inspirational key note address in which he spoke of the life experiences of his great grandfather, Founder William Henry Letterman Pennsylvania Alpha 1852 and of the importance in today's interpretation of achieved success by living up to the ideals and virtues expressed in our Creed. I especially wish to thank Gordon who traveled from Northern California to personally participate in the PLA and to speak to our cadre of chapter GP's.

The 2004 Presidents Leadership Academy featured a series of workshop leadership learning sessions and were led by conference facilitators Brothers John Mead, Shannon Price, Rico Hernandez,Rev. David McDonald, Tryon Hubbard, RJ Proie and Nathan Anderson .

On Saturday evening , the conference delegates traveled to the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity Heritage Hall Headquarters in Lockerbie Square to officially dedicate in perpetuity the ''Ralph D. Daniel Executive Directors Office'' to honor Dud's half century legacy of devotion and service to the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity. It was an exceptionally joyus occassion as Dud reflected on his life long passion in Phi Kappa Psi.

On the next day, it was my pleasure to announce the new strategic partnership between the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity and the three million plus members of the Boys and Girls Clubs of America in the goal to help further enhance our Phi Kappa Psi April National Day of Service and Phi Psi 500 Service Initiatives. I wish to thank our Director of Philanthropy Jerry Dunlap and BGCA liaison Jim Boyle who compiled BGCA resource materials and especially NIC delegate Brother Bob Marchesani who presented the one hour introduction of this exciting new service initiative and included a video presentation with featured speakers Secretary of State Colin Powell, Senator Orin Hatch, and accomplished celebrity role models.

The 2004 PLA Conference was an extraordinary weekend as I was truly honored to be joined by Gordon, , Dud, Kent , Harry and Shawn along with our conference participants and members of our professional staff in this wonderful learning exchange.

We Live and We Flourish!

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...

Old 01-29-2004, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Indiana Eta Visit - Indiana State University

January 29, 2004

Dear Brothers,

Following the immediate Sunday afternoon close of the Phi Kappa Psi Presidents Leadership Academy....... Brothers Ralph D. Daniel , Gordon R. Letterman and I joined Executive Director Shawn Collinsworth on a trip to Indiana State University to visit our Indiana Eta Chapter in Terre Haute, Indiana which included a very slow drive up and back in a winter snow storm.

We met with the Chapter Brothers for an arranged Sunday evening dinner which was followed by a Ritual Chapter Meeting at the Indiana State University Student Union. The Chapter G.P. and officers and committee chairs conducted an excellent chapter business meeting. Later in the evening I presented the Brothers with a gift of a Phi Psi flag...and together with Gordon Dud and Shawn addressed the assembled chapter.

The highlight of the evening involved Brother Letterman's remarks in which he paused in his comments to stop and pull from his pocket the badges of his great grandfather William Henry Letterman 1852, grandfather William Gordon Letterman 1902 and his father Dr. Gordon Sparks Letterman 1938. The Brothers of Indiana Eta then heard from ''Mr Phi Psi'' Ralph D Daniel followed by an incredible display of Phi Psi shared emotion and individual reflection in the words for the Good of the Order.

The memorable chapter meeting was followed by a visit to the Indiana Eta Chapter House and the great opportunity to see the 13 year old composite picture of Chapter Brother Executive Director Shawn Collinsworth !

The Brothers of Indiana Eta truly are ''Men of Excellence'' and I wish to express our appreciation for their warm hospitality and tremendous reservoir of Phi Psi kindred spirit.

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...
S.W.G.P.

Old 02-04-2004, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Winter Meeting- Phi Kappa Psi Project 2025 National Housing Steering Committee

February 4, 2004

Dear Brothers,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the members of the Phi Kappa Psi Project 2025 National Housing Committee - Chairman John Zigelmeyer Kansas Alpha '70, Wynn Wiegand Missouri Alpha '74, John Henebry California Delta '85, Matthew Shaw California Kappa '93, Richard Bower Oklahoma Alpha '56 and newly appointed Director of Chapter House Corporations Shannon Price -Alabama Alpha '83 who met at Heritage Hall Indianapolis for the Annual Winter meeting of the Project 2025 Steering Committee along with Executive Director Shawn Collinsworth and Director of Alumni Services Mark Solomon.

As for organization reference, the Project 2025 initiative was created in 2002 and approved by Executive Council action to serve as an immediate and long range planning resource committee to address the comprehensive housing sphere of the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity. I had asked Brother John Zigelmeyer in the winter of 2002 to help organize this new initiative whose project name and mission reflect our ultimate goal in Phi Kappa Psi to create the highest standard of undergraduate chapter housing in the InterFraterity World by this first benchmark in the 21st Century.

In less than one year...the branding mantra of Project 2025 is already well established in Phi Kappa Psi and among our NIC contemporaries. This National Housing Resource Committee is comprised of some of the most experienced and talented Phi Psi volunteers whose individual housing expertise is already helping our Fraternity to identify and prioritize our immediate and long term fraternity housing needs in terms of capital campaign fundraising, housing safety issues, and chapter physical plant management.

In September 2003 the largest attended Housing Education Conference in the history of the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity assembled in Las Vegas , Nevada in what has been described as the best organized and most resource program driven curriculum ever conducted on fraternity housing issues ranging across entire housing spectrum.

I wish to take this opportunity to thank Project 2025 Chairman John Zigelmeyer, members of the steering committee and our Staff Director of Alumni Services Mark Solomon for their outstanding efforts in the past year. The recent Winter Meeting saw the passage of a recommendation to the Executive Council of a Fire Sprinkler Initiative in which to provide special cost savings to our nationwide House Corporations in the installation of Fire Sprinkler systems which will be presented at the upcoming March Executive Council Meeting. Mark your calendars as the weekend following Labor Day of September 10-12 , 2004 has been set for the 2nd Annual Project 2025 National Housing Education Conference in Las Vegas, Nevada.

I wish to also thank our new Director of House Corporations Shannon Price who has assumed his duties with great dispatch and as an official member of the Project 2025 Steering Committee. I am also very pleased to announce that Brother Jim Trigilio who had served on the Phi Psi Headquarters Staff for four years has accepted my and Zig's invitation to join as a member of our Project 2025 Steering Committee. Jim brings a wealth of experience and great zeal and will prove to be an immeasurable asset to the Project 2025 Committee.

Please join me in special congratulations for this outstanding group of Phi Psi volunteers whose hard work and dedicated efforts has been tremendous.

We Live and We Flourish!

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...

Old 02-11-2004, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation 2004 Founders Day Letter from President Ciccarelli

Dear Brothers,

In 2002, the year of our Sesquicentennial Celebration, past National Fraternity President Tom James Texas Alpha '48 remarked in a special commemorative publication that ''No great institution will long endure, certainly not for 150 years , unless it is committed at its very foundation to ethical and moral principles of the highest order. Phi Kappa Psi core principles find eloquent expression in the Creed.''

On the eve of our 152nd Anniversary of the founding of our Fraternity, I am again reminded of this true reflection, as men of various ages, different races, nationalities and religious backgrounds are joined together under the universal banner of Phi Kappa Psi to help become achieved students, good citizens and important role models in which to make positive contributions within our host institutions, local communities and in the world in which we share.

In honored recognition of the preceding generations of many living and departed Phi Psi Brothers who epitomize the Phi Psi fraternal virtues of Loyalty, Honesty, Integrity, Commitment, Consideration, Service, and Brotherly Love ... the Executive Council of Phi Kappa Psi has dedicated the February 19, 2004 , Founders Day Observance and our inaugural nationwide Founders Day theme celebrations in special honor and in a ''Tribute to America's Greatest Generation''.

In 1998, NBC nightly news anchor Tom Brokaw wrote the best selling book '''The Greatest Generation'' and is a study and a series of reflective essays of ordinary men and women , military heroes, famous people of great achievement and community leaders in extraordinary times. ''They came of age during the Great Depression and the Second World War and went on to build modern America......men and women whose everyday lives of duty , honor and achievement and courage gave us the world we have today. ''

Our examples of America's Greatest Generation within the Brotherhood of Phi Kappa Psi are countless as I am reminded of lives of many individuals who represent this special era. Among these remarkable human stories is reflected in the military services service record of past Fraternity President Robert E. Lazzell West Virginia Alpha '42 who served in the World War 2 Italian peninsula campaign in the (First Special Service Force and forerunner of today's Special Forces) and in Southern France, and who became the youngest second lieutenant and was awarded the Purple Heart. Bob went on to serve in the Korean and Vietnam conflicts. His military awards also include the Legion of Merit and Meritorious Service Medal. He has served Phi Kappa Psi as the District 3 Archon and the 52nd SWGP.

There is the remarkable account of Gordon Sparks Letterman Missouri Alpha '38 the grandson of Fraternity Founder William Henry Letterman who served in the Okinawa and Iwo Jima Pacific Theater campaigns on LST 931, a flat bottom boat with bow doors that delivered tanks and troops to the landing beach and evacuated wounded soldiers and was torpedoed in action and did not sink.

The future wife of Brother Letterman who he met after the war was a twenty-two year old navy flight nurse named Elma who was stationed in Guam and whose service unit (to be recognized by President Truman) would be immediately deployed in areas where an island airfield was captured to evacuate severely wounded. Gordon and Elma Letterman were then to receive the American Theater, Asiatic Pacific Theater and the Philippines Liberation Ribbons. After the war, Brother Letterman went on to serve in a distinguished career in medicine in which he later became the Professor Emeritus at George Washington University in Washington, DC.

There is the example of Brother Clyde M Reedy who attended the University of Minnesota and was initiated in 1940 at Minnesota Beta and who then served on active duty as a Navy Aviator from 1942 until 1946. He flew PBY Catalinas (Black Cats) at Saipan and Iwo Jima where he participated in patrol, air sea rescue, and bombing and strafing runs. His crew lost six men on a patrol in the Philippine Sea and those who survived joined another crew to finish out the tour of duty in the Central Pacific.

Brother Reedy's crew was the air rescue plane for the Enola Gay's atomic bomb flight in 1945. Today fifty nine years later and after a long accomplished business career.....Brother Reedy continues to serve his beloved fraternity and the Minnesota Beta chapter in which he recently spoke to the new chapter pledge class and is currently being interviewed by many Minnesota schoolchildren in recognition of his life long accomplishments.

The opening address of the recent 2004 Phi Kappa Psi Chapter Presidents Leadership Academy in Indianapolis was recently delivered by Brother Harry Henderson Indiana Epsilon '51 Valparaiso University, who as our nationwide Honorary Chairman of the 2004 Founders Day Celebration joined the Navy December 7, 1943 , in bitter South Pacific action and was the second American ashore at Sasebo, Japan , immediately after the surrender, and in the ensuing fifty years of global business enterprise and self less volunteer service with many organizations and youth groups that has earned him a special distinction in Phi Kappa Psi.

These reflections are among the many examples of individuals within the vibrant and proud 152 year old history of our Brotherhood and whose personal accounts further remind us to strive and help build the next ''Greatest Generation'' of young men to wear the lifelong badge of Phi Kappa Psi

In recognition of the supreme sacrifice of many Phi Psi Brothers who represent this important generation in the history of our nation , I consider a great privilege to accept the invitation of the Phi Kappa Psi Washington DC Alumni Association to participate in a special Phi Kappa Psi Founders Day Memorial Observance at Arlington National Cemetery on Sunday February 15, 2004.

I wish to also take this special opportunity on the eve of our Founders Day to thank each of you for your deep abiding interest and loyal devotion. Our Fraternity continues to achieve very marked progress in our Scholarship, Leadership, and Community Service initiatives and is laying a very strong foundation in the 21st Century. Together we are building a very bright future in Phi Kappa Psi.

I invite our Phi Psi Brothers, Phi Psi Ladies , family members and special Phi Psi guests to start making summer plans to attend and participate in the 72nd Grand Arch Council in San Diego, California on July 7-11, 2004.

Happy Founders Day!

Fraternally,

John V. Ciccarelli, California Theta '72.

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 02-11-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Report of the S.W.G.P.

March 1, 2004

Dear Brothers,

I would like to take this opportunity to express my heartfelt thanks to each of you on the Executive Council, Appointed Officers, Professional Headquarters, Trustees and Advisory Networks_ that comprise the Phi Psi official_ family that have been working hard in the effort to have Phi Kappa Psi_ succeed and achieve marked accomplishments. It has been extremely gratifying to see the incredible display of selfless Phi Psi volunteer service that is literally changing the perception of an American college fraternity and Phi Psi ambitious plans and our mission for the future.

Overview
Our Fraternity is growing at an unprecedented rate as we are anticipating multiple chartering this spring and have created new colonies at outstanding institutions. The Biennium of 2002-2004 will be remembered as the period in which our Phi Kappa Psi_ Alumni Associations programs have been greatly enhanced as our 2004 ''Tribute to America's Greatest Generation''_ has resulted in a record nationwide attendance and of which received_ alumni audience comments at many gatherings have been jointly enthusiastic'' We are excited of the direction of our Fraternity''.......''What has happened. ?.''....''As an alumnus I am very happy to read in The Shield where Phi Kappa Psi is heading........''_ I am pleased to see that values and virtues are being emphasized in our organization''.

Similar to our success in recent years on chapter accreditation programs geared to undergraduate programming.....Phi Psi Alumni Associations are being held ''accountable '' and to a much higher standard in which are alumni groups have responded very favorably and are reinventing the past ''traditional role'' of Phi Psi Alumni Associations of once a year gatherings into active engaged ''alumni chapters'' that are helping to foster the '' Phi Psi Family Community '' Initiative. I wish to especially thank Director of Alumni Association Tryon Hubbard for his hard work and program oversight.

In addition our Director of Alumni Services Mark Solomon will also be reviewing at our upcoming meeting the continued progress and new developments within the Phi Psi Hyparchos Network - Alumni Affairs Area Coordinators that have played an important part in the liaison Alumni Association program progress.

The recent 2004 Indianapolis_ Presidents Leadership Academy and chapter visitations with Dud and Gordon Letterman have been inspirational as Phi Kappa Psi_ has without a doubt become a very relevant force for good in the lives of many young men. Our rising census and improved retention is a great indication that we are succeeding in our mission. The announcement of our strategic relationship with the Boys and Girls Club of America has been enthusiastically received in which we will now begin a concentrated effort to incorporate the BGCA plank in our umbrella April Phi Kappa Psi National Day of Service and Phi Psi 500 community service initiatives.

It is indeed gratifying that the many steps taken within the Executive Council in the preceding years and in our current 2002-2004 Biennium are helping to transform our organization. In addition ....I am pleased to announce that for the first time in the history of the Fraternity that we will be heading into a Grand Arch Council in what will be an approximate zero receivable due to the last year's adoption of the May 31 2003 Executive Council Aged Receivable Resolution. My thanks to SWP Steven O'Rourke and Director of Administration Claude Warren for an outstanding job.

March 5 2004 - Executive Council Meeting
Our upcoming_ Friday, March 5, Executive Council Meeting will include many agenda business items that reflect the outstanding work of our Appointed Officer team family.

They include the Project 2025 Fire Sprinkler Initiative by John Zigelemeyer , Hyparchos Network Program enhancements, and the expanded Phi Psi Loyalty Fund and new Phi Psi ''Life Loyal'' AlumnI Support Program recommendations report by immediate past president Steven E. Nieslawski._ Also...we will be updated on refinements on our ''Men of Excellence'' values based learning curriculum in which we plan to recognize chapter_ enrolled participation and accomplishment at the July 7-11 San Diego Grand Arch Council

In addition, we will be receiving an update on the upcoming Phi Kappa Psi Sesquicentennial Grand Catalogue publication as well as the Fall distribution of our 3rd edition of the Sesquicentennial History of Phi Kappa Psi and planned Grand Arch Council presale announcement.

March 6-7 Phi Kappa Psi 2004-2014_ Strategic Plan Session
We are pleased that Mary Peterson of the University of Iowa will be facilitating our strategic planning session that includes representatives of Phi Psi organs including the Permanent Fund and our Endowment Educational and Charitable Education. Over the past four months Mary has been compiling solicited and canvassed information from within Phi Psi publics to help us formulate short and long term identified organization objectives to guide Phi Kappa Psi in the next ten years and beyond. It is our plan to present the Phi Psi Strategic Plan to the upcoming 72nd San Diego Grand Arch Council.

Summary
I am very excited of the progress and prospects within our organization. The Phi Kappa Psi Leadership Programming under the direction of Shane Yates continues to garner outstanding results. The recent announcement in the December 2003 Envision magazine of the separate entity American Leadership Academy in Cabo San Lucas_ not affiliated with the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity and supported by generous Phi Psi alumni support is providing a strong forum for Phi Psi House Corporation_ capital campaign retreat exchanges and niche undergraduate student learning.

This is an exciting period in Phi Kappa Psi and I wish to take this opportunity to especially recognize and thank Executive Director Shawn Collinsworth and his staff for doing an exemplary job in meeting our goals of the 2002-2004 Biennium in what will be an extremely busy period leading up to the summer Grand Arch Council .

I wish to thank each of you again for your loyal devotion and for what we will accomplish together in the coming weeks and in the future of our beloved Fraternity.

We Live and We Flourish!

Fraternally,
John V.Ciccarelli...
Old 03-14-2004, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Band of Brothers- Alabama Alpha 40th Anniversary Celebration

March 13, 2004

Dear Brothers,

I would like to take this opportunity to express my deep appreciation to the undergraduate and alumni Brothers of Alabama Alpha_ hosted a spectacular 40th Chapter Anniversary Celebration and Founders Day Observance in Tuscaloosa, Alabama on the weekend of February 27-29.

I was very pleased to accept the invitation to attend and was joined by Executive Director Emeritus''Mr Phi Psi''_ Dud Daniel Arizona Alpha '47 and Deputy Attorney General Lee Reid Louisiana Gamma '93 for a special three day chapter anniversary reunion in which almost every living founding chapter charter member was in attendance. The weekend events at the Alabama Alpha Chapter House and the University of Alabama included a Friday evening chapter house reception that was highlighted by a visit and gracious remarks by the University President Dr. Robert Witt who complimented the reorganization of the chapter and our Phi Psi student members who have distinguished themselves in strong scholastic achievement and host institution relations.

On Saturday, February 28, 2004, the chapter hosted a Ritual Chapter Meeting in the beautiful newly renovated Alabama Alpha Chapter House in which Phi Psi alumni brothers of the original charter group shared some very inspirational and_ personal reflections of life long Phi Psi experiences in the presence of it's young members. A special Chapter House Corporation report led by longtime Alabama Alpha stalwarts Brothers Fred Clay Alabama Alpha '67, Shannon Price Alabama Alpha '83, Tryon Hubbard Alabama Alpha '64 and Chapter Advisor Jay Massingill Alabama Alpha '68. included a discussion on future physical plant plans and chapter educational foundation goals. (Twelve years ago the Alabama Alpha Chapter House Corporation that also included members Mark Moore , Freddie Stakes was faced with the daunting and successful task of moving its three story red brick chapter house across campus to its present day location)

At the conclusion of the Chapter Meeting......we all joined together outside the spacious front lawn and dramatic setback of the Alabama Chapter House and dedicated a tree in memory of the Dr. John Ramsey , California Gamma '28 who served as \ the original colony advisor - chapter mentor and served on the University of Alabama faculty. Each spring the Dr. John F. Ramsey Award is presented by the campus administration in recognition of outstanding university students.

Later that evening ....over 125 Phi Psi Brothers, spouses and guests joined and enjoyed a wonderful banquet in which it was my distinct honor to present Executive Council proclamations in honor of the 40th Chapter Anniversary_ to Chapter G.P.Thomas ''Buz'' Miller Alabama Alpha 2003 (who that evening donated his received $500.00 Alabama Alpha Foundation check back to the Chapter Capital Campaign) and to Brothers Fred Clay and Jay Massingill for their_ tremendous volunteer service and immense loyal devotion rendered over several decades to the Alabama Alpha Chapter and to Phi Kappa Psi. It was indeed a very enjoyable and happy occasion and the banquet culminated into a dance reception that went into the early hours.

The next day.....The Brothers of Alabama Alpha then traveled and gathered together for
an early morning breakfast trip to the historic family farm cabin home of Brother Farley M. Snow Alabama Alpha '64 in which they sang songs, posed for pictures and shared good-byes.

It was a truly inspirational weekend and one that I will never forget as the Band of Brothers within our Alabama Alpha chapter truly reflect the life long friendships and Brotherhood that we are proud to share in Phi Kappa Psi.

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...
Old 03-15-2004, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

2004 Founders Day "Tribute to America's Greatest Generation"

March 14, 2004

Dear Phi Kappa Psi Alumni Association Presidents,

I would like to take this opportunity to express the appreciation of the Executive Council and Professional Headquarters Staff on the tremendous response to our 2004 inaugural theme Founders Day Celebrations and in the collective tribute to our Phi Psi Brothers of America's Greatest Generation. The individual program undertaking by many of our metropolitan Phi Psi Alumni Associations has been tremendous in which many groups have reported a large increase in alumni attendance We are very pleased in the received positive comments and email correspondence.

A little more than a month ago, we began our special Founders Day tribute with a solemn blessing at Arlington National Cemetery sponsored by the Phi Kappa Psi Washington D.C. Alumni Association. I am happy to share with each of you of the renewed spirit and strong enthusiasm of the past four weeks in which Phi Psi undergraduate and alumni members have joined together to celebrate the founding ideals of our Brotherhood and to help build the next Greatest Generation of young men to wear the life long badge of Phi Kappa Psi.

Our Fraternity has made a major commitment to redefine the role of our Phi Psi Alumni Associations in today's fast paced modern world as we look to help assist in the mission of a true ''Life Loyal'' Phi Psi alumni experience and one which will provide and derive benefits to our undergraduate, alumni, host institution and local community publics. The addition of a new Headquarters Staff position of our new Phi Psi Director of Alumni Member Services Mark Solomon Missouri Alpha '98 is designed to provide assistance to each of you. In addition our Fraternity will also be hosting the second annual Indianapolis New Volunteer Orientation scheduled on the weekend of March 26-28, 2004 in which to provide a resource support training track for identified Alumni Associations.

In the coming weeks...we will be looking to many of our Phi Kappa Psi Alumni Associations to help support the April 17, 2004 Phi Kappa Psi National Day of Service in which Phi Psi Chapters, Colonies and Alumni Associations will be working together in various local hands on philanthropic endeavors that also include our new strategic partnership with the Boys and Girls Clubs of America. In addition, we plan to entertain discussion and the submission of ideals for a theme undertaking for our 2005 Founders Day Celebrations to be announced at the 72nd Grand Arch Council in San Diego, California.

On behalf of Executive Director Shawn Collinsworth, Honorary Founders Day Chairman Harry Henderson Indiana Epsilon '51, Director of Alumni Services Mark Solomon, Director of Alumni Associations Tryon Hubbard, we wish to sincerely thank you and the members of each Alumni Association in Phi Kappa Psi and extend best wishes for continued success in the long term future.

We Live and We Flourish!

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...
California Theta '72

Last edited by PhiPsiRuss; 03-15-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome Pennsylvania Phi - Lycoming College!

March 23, 2004

Dear Brothers,

On Saturday, March 20, 2004, the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity installed its newest chapter with the charter presentation of Pennsylvania Phi at Lycoming College located in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. The entire Executive Council and members of our Professional Staff participated in the weekend activities which was highlighted by a church ceremony and great banquet celebration that included many parents, faculty administration and the President of Lycoming College. The keynote speaker included Excessive Director Emeritus Dud Daniel Arizona Alpha '47 and a presentation of Phi Psi congratulatory gifts from across the country.

A special highlight of the charter installation included the visit of a large contingent of New York Kappa colony members of State Oneanta who traveled three hours to attend the Pennsylvania Phi banquet celebration.

The birth of Pennsylvania Phi represents our 15th active chapter in the state of Pennsylvania and in which the Fraternity is enjoying renewed activity within many local Alumni Association groups.

Our special thanks to Pennsylvania Phi Chapter Advisor Jose Rodriquez Pennsylvania Beta '87 and Faculty Advisor Timothy S. Carter Pennsylvania Phi 2004 of the Lycoming Faculty Administration who he himself was initiated as a founding father of Pennsylvania Phi and who together with Brother Rodriquez have been a strong guiding resource in the growth and success of Pennsylvania Phi.

Our congratulations for a very bright future to the Brothers of Pennsylvania Phi!

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...
S.W.G.P.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Pennsylvania Rho York College - Pennsylvania Epsilon Gettysburg

March 27, 2004

Dear Brothers,

On the occasion of last weekend's chartering of Pennsylvania Phi at Lycoming College , I rented a car for a few days and visited Phi Psi chapters in the vicinity of Harrisburg Pennsylvania enroute to Philadelphia and Trenton - Rowan New Jersey.

Pennsylvania Rho - York College

On Sunday evening March 21, I enjoyed the opportunity to attend the Pennsylvania Rho Chapter Meeting at York College in which the new pledge class also participated. I was joined by newly appointed Chapter Advisor Damien Lynch who is following in the great footsteps of retired advisor Ernie Thompson of who I had the pleasure of speaking by phone prior to the meeting. Pennsylvania Rho continues to be a very good chapter. Brother Jared Caracappa is an alumnus of the chapter and served recently as a member of the Hyparchos Network and is active on the York Pennsylvania Alumni Association which enjoyed a very good recent Founders Day event. I wish to thank Brother Damien Lynch and the Brothers of Pennsylvania Rho for their wonderful hospitality.

Pennsylvania Epsilon - Gettysburg College

The following morning I traveled to our Pennsylvania Epsilon Chapter at Gettysburg College for a visit to talk to chapter members and see Miller Hall the first chapter house built and owned by the Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity in 1882. The opportunity to set foot in Miller Hall was a wonderful and memorable experience in which the chapter members explained the various historical facts surrounding its 120 year history. The Winter 2004 Issue of The Shield includes a wonderful article by past District One Archon Steve McDermott New Jersey Epsilon '00 in which Steve and Pennsylvania Epsilon House Corporation President Nick Modha and Fraternity Historian Mike McCoy Indiana Beta '57 undertook a restoration of fraternity archives stored at Miller Hall. The year 2005 will mark the Sesquicentennial Celebration of the Pennsylvania Epsilon Chapter with plans now underway for a great reunion observance. After a quick visit to the Gettysburg Battlefield National Park I was again reminded of the great historical connection of our Fraternity and passages in our nation's history. On the outskirts of Gettysburg is a fairly new highway sign named Camp Letterman Road which is named in honor of Jonathan Letterman the older brother of Founder William Henry Letterman who both served as Surgeons in the Army of the Potomac. Jonathan Letterman and the Camp Letterman Gettysburg site is where the practice of battlefield medical treatment for the wounded was introduced and became the forerunner of Army M.A.S.H. medical units that has continued to evolve today.

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...
S.W.G.P.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Pennsylvania Iota Chapter Meeting

March 28, 2004

Dear Brothers,

On Monday evening March 22, 2004, I attended the Pennsylvania Iota Chapter Meeting at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia in which members of the Pennsylvania Sigma Chapter also participated. I was joined by Pennsylvania Iota Chapter Advisor Bill Staples who has served faithfully in this capacity for sixteen years and Philadelphia Hyparchos Alumni Affairs Area Coordinator Paul Sanborne of Pennsylvania Sigma. I enjoyed the opportunity along with Bill and Paul to speak to the undergraduate members in attendance and hear of future plans to incorporate and encompass Philadelphia Phi Psi area undergraduate and alumni association activities including our newest Phi Psi Philly Chapter - Pennsylvania Upsilon at Drexell University installed two years ago.

After the chapter meeting, Brothers Staples, Sanborne and I walked on the University of Pennsylvania campus in which we stop to see the statue of Brother Edgar Fahs Smith Pennsylvania Epsilon 1873 who served as the University of Pennsylvania Provost from 1910 - 1920 . Brother Smith along with Brother Otis Kendall , Pennsylvania Iota 1878 together conceived the idea of our national Phi Kappa Psi fraternity magazine The Shield which is currently celebrating its 125th Anniversary. The current spring 2004 125th Commemorative Anniversary Issue of The Shield includes an interesting feature article of the contributions of Brothers Smith and Kendall authored by Phi Psi Director of Alumni Services Mark Solomon.

I wish to express my deep appreciation to the members of Pennsylvania Iota and Pennsylvania Sigma for allowing me the privilege to join together. I especially would like to extend a note of special thanks to Bill Staples and Paul Sanborne for their continued loyalty and support of Phi Kappa Psi in the long tradition of local area Phi Psis including Brothers Walter Lee Sheppard, Jr., Bayh Graff and many dedicated individuals in the Phi Psi ''City of Brotherly Love''.

We Live and We Flourish!

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...
S.W.G.P.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

New Jersey Delta - New Jersey Epsilon Meeting Exchanges

March 28, 2004

Dear Brothers,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Brothers of New Jersey Delta and New Jersey Epsilon for their tremendous Phi Psi spirit and warm reception upon a final travel leg that started in Williamsport, Pennsylvania and ended in Rowan, New Jersey and a flight home to Los Angeles from Philadelphia. I wish to thank Brothers Chris Hammer who along with Paul Sanborne, Mark Modha, Bill Staples, Steve McDermott greatly assisted in making arrangements with our local groups.

New Jersey Delta - College of New Jersey

On Tuesday morning March 23, 2004 I traveled to the College of New Jersey in Trenton and joined the immediate past GP David Dziengowski and chapter GP Matthew Dox for a campus meeting at the Brower Student Center (named in honor of past president of the former Trenton State College, Brother Clayton Brower New York Beta '42) with the Greek Affairs Advisor Tim Wilkenson to discuss the state of campus Greek affairs and the overall standing of our New Jersey Delta Chapter which is again leading in academic honors among a Greek system of over 25 campus organizations. It was great pleasure to hear of the high regard that Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity is held and of the great cooperation between the chapter leadership and university administration. Following the chapter meeting, I enjoyed the opportunity to meet the many chapter Brothers who joined for a special lunch reception in the 1855 room in Eickhoff Hall hosted by New Jersey Garden State Alumni Association President Chris Hammer.

Our New Jersey Delta chapter was chartered 14 years ago during the tenure of past SWGP Bob Meserve and has earned an outstanding record in campus and fraternity awards. Our congratulations to the Brothers of New Jersey Delta under the guidance of Chapter GP Matthew Dox and Chapter Advisor Mark Kadetsky for doing an outstanding job.

New Jersey Epsilon - Rowan University

Later that evening I jumped on the New Jersey Turnpike to head back to Philadelphia and to revisit our four year old New Jersey chapter at Rowan University. I was greeted by Brothers Russ Pocaro and Chapter GP Rick Peletier for a campus tour and the site of the famous 1967 Glasboro Summit between Lyndon Johnson and Andrei Kosygin. The Brothers had held their Ritual Meeting the evening prior but arranged a restaurant dinner reception with the entire chapter including many of the charter members and Phi Psi guests.I was joined by Educational Leadership Consultant Robert Nagle and truly enjoyed the wonderful opportunity to reminisce about the New Jersey Epsilon chartering as an installation team member under SWGP John Watt in 2000 with charter members Steve McDermott and Richard Rozycki.

New Jersey Epsilon is working hard in many areas and has an outstanding reputation in Phi Psi regional, District, and National related activities. I wish to thank Chapter G.P. Rick Peletier and Chapter Advisor Charlie Zimmerman for their strong efforts in helping New Jersey Epsilon grow and succeed.

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...
S.W.G.P.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations 125th Anniversary Commemorative Issue of The Shield

March 29, 2004

Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity
510 Lockerbie Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46202

Director of Publications
Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity
Ted C. Jones

Dear Ted,

I just received my 125th Anniversary Commemorative Issue of The Shield and I wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate you, Shawn and Trish Acton on the beautiful magazine. Each issue of The Shield seems to reach a new elevated plateau in terms of true readership interest and information quality which has been shared in many positive and complimentary comments in this Biennium within our undergraduate, alumni, parent, N.I.C. and Host Institution publics.

The Spring 2004 Issue highlighted articles of Shield cofounder Edgar Fahs Smith authored by Director of Alumni Services Mark Solomon and "Living to be 125" by our newly appointed Phi Kappa Psi Surgeon General Dr. William Blanke were outstanding.

I find the fact in terms of the reported generous contributions of our members as reflected in the annual support of the Endowment Fund Educational Foundation and a record Loyalty Fund solicitation year to be a tremendous testimony to the value and relevance of our overarching organization and in the vital role that The Shield is playing to help reach our audience.

I wish to thank you for the tremendous effort, hard work and marked success that has without a doubt given our Fraternity the right to claim that it has the best organization magazine in the entire Intefraternity World on this the 125th Anniversary Year of The Shield.

Fraternally,
John V. Ciccarelli...