GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,288
3 members and 1,285 guests
3DGator, flirt5721, UW_dawg

Old 03-26-2007, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

transferring

I have a quick question. I was a member of a sorority in 04/05 school year at WVU. I took some time off and am considering transferring to NC State. I am now 22. Is there any way I could still be involved with the sorority or am I too old? I was only in it for a year and most of the members I knew are graduating.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:18 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondelicious13 View Post
I have a quick question. I was a member of a sorority in 04/05 school year at WVU. I took some time off and am considering transferring to NC State. I am now 22. Is there any way I could still be involved with the sorority or am I too old? I was only in it for a year and most of the members I knew are graduating.
It's a quick question, but it's a very complicated answer.

I guess it would all depend on how you left the chapter in 05. Did you notify your EC (or whatever you call it) that you were taking time off with the intent of coming back? Or did they automatically grant you alumna status because you weren't coming back to school? Changes in membership status vary between the different organizations, but most of the time once you become an alum, you can't be a collegian again.

I don't really understand your question. Do you want to become active again in your initiating chapter or are you interested in affiliating with the chapter at NC State? You mention transferring, but you said that the members you know are graduating...so which do you want?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondelicious13 View Post
You're not too old to be involved still, but that depends on a number of factors.

I'm actually kind of confused by your post so I'll address a few different scenarios. If you canceled your membership in an NPC sorority, you have to talk to someone in an official capacity with your former sorority about the possibility for reinstating membership before you can move forward (if they're even willing to consider such a request). If you took alum status after you left school, again talk to someone in an official capacity about the policies on member transfer if there's a chapter of your sorority at NC state. People at your HQs will be far better suited to guide you than people on this message board.

Additionally, you can look for an alum group in your area -- you're never too old to be involved in an alumnae association.

I don't think you were asking this but just in case: you CANNOT join another NPC sorority on your new campus as a matter of NPC policy, you can only be involved with a chapter of your WVU sorority (if your sorority allows you to reinstate/reactivate/transfer your membership). And you can always look for an alumnae association if you're on alumnae status.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity