Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,040
0 members and 1,040 guests
No Members online

Old 04-22-2002, 06:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chscrew144
Foreign Service

Just found out that my Dad's friend that moved to Guatemala with him from Buffalo (both are in the Canadian Foreign service and both are immigration officers) and is doing his post there, was a Sigma Chi at UBC!

It's helping to ease my parents into accepting that fraternaties aren' like they are at MIT (that death a few years ago at a Fiji chapter, one reason they went dry. Also the guy went to HS in our area so it was well publicized in Western New york) or UMd (where a student died earlier this year) or in Animal house but a bunch of guys that really are like as if they were actual brothers or at least best friends.

Are there any other members in the foreign service in either the US or Canada?
Old 03-15-2003, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to WindsorSig
I'm a Canadian Sig In going to the University of Windsor.
I'm in the Canadian Navy.
Part time work during the school year and a nice job every summer. I didn't tell my parents I had joined a fraternity until my 2nd year of school...partly fear and partly cause I just didn't call all that much... poor mom.

Currenlty I live with another sigma chi brother, whom my parents have met and they approved completely.

Best method of promoting acceptance is get your parents to meet the chapter. Instead of having these dreamed up images of dunk keg-fests, give your parents some real world experience and actual scenes of the fraternity in action!

That will go a great lenght to put their fears to rest.
If your parents should ever come visit you, make sure to stop by the fraternity house, or give them a tour and introduce them to some other brothers. It's easy to approve of faces and names instead of some "mean ol' frat".