Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,263
0 members and 1,263 guests
No Members online

Old 04-17-2005, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

My journey of AI

Hi all! I can't believe there are so many girls going through AI. I stumbled across this board, I can't believe it! Anyway, I am pursuing it as well. I have read all you're stories and I feel much of the same anxiety. I would like to give you my story if you all are up for it.
Years ago in college the sorority I pledged lost the charter (about 3 weeks before initiation) so I did not cross over. I decided not to join another because I really liked whom I will refer to as the jades. About a year ago a woman I met told me how her local turned into a national so she went through AI. Feeling nostalgic I contacted headquarters of the jades and they set me up with an alumni group. One of the sisters, who is now my sponsor, emailed me for a few months and invited me to an event. I went, hit it off with all of the women, and they invited me to another event which will be in a few weeks. My sponsor said it may take months but there is really nothing to it and she sees no reason why I should not be accepted by headquarters. I feel as though it is too good to be true and way too easy of a process. It's long, but it seems as though it going alright.
I would like some advice, though, if you all can give me any. I am so anxious to become a sister. I want to make a good impression but not go too overboard with the thank yous and end up acting pathetic. I don't know if the alumni group voted on me or not, but they invited me back so that is good, right? Any voices out there to be heard, I am listening.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
If they invited you back, that could be a good sign. A bad sign is if they blow you off and dodge your calls!

So IMO being invited back is a good sign! Good luck
Old 04-17-2005, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

It's great that you were invited back. They must see your interest. Good luck and welcome to GC and the AI train.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

how exciting for you!!! welcome to gc and be sure to keep us posted on your ai search.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: My journey of AI

Quote:
Originally posted by newsororgal
One of the sisters, who is now my sponsor, emailed me for a few months and invited me to an event.
Having a sponsor will definitely HELP. Nothing is guaranteed, but if you have someone who can vouch for you, it will definitely help. Think of it, as though you are applying for a "job" and she is your "reference". With no reference, it is darned difficult to get a job!

Also, in a no-go scenario, at least your friend is on the "inside", and can let you know if the alumnae chapter has decided that the matter will not be pursued to "completion" (i.e. you getting an invitation extended to membership). I am not trying to poohpooh the matter, but I just want you to be aware of either potential outcome.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Banned

Strap in, you're about to go on the roller coaster ride of your life! Anybody who tells you AI is easy doesn't know what they're talking about. It is an emotionally draining process with many ups and downs.

Like you, I had pledged in college. I was not initiated because I transferred schools where there was no chapter. I never depledged.

Three years ago, I contacted a local alumnae chapter and national to see if I could help out. I didn't even know it was possible to be initiated once you were out of college. I had only called because I wanted to see if I could help mentor some of the collegiates in my profession, and also, to help out the philanthropy But an officer called me and told me it was possible to become a "special initiate" (the term this group uses for AI). As you can imagine, I was thrilled!

But, it took three years since that first phone call. There were many times I thought it would never happen.

Because AI is only now becoming more common, the system is filled with speed bumps. The ball often gets dropped along the way by accident because someone trying to help you may not know the proper forms to fill out, or that something needs a vote.

My best advice to you is to find yourself a mentor in the sorority you're seeking to become initiated with. And most of all... BE PROACTIVE!

If things have stalled, don't take it as a "no".... take it as a "whoops, someone must have forgotten a step, I better inquire what's going on!"

It's so easy to think, "Oh, they don't want me afterall. They just aren't coming out and telling me" when the real reason is that someone is waiting for paperwork, approval, or a vote.

For me, the hardest part of this was not knowing if I was crossing the line of being a "pain" or being "pro-active." I would say, err on the side of being pro-active.

And.. don't forget to use GC as a resource. Some wonderful women helped get the ball rolling again for me when things stalled and looked hopeless. It turned out that one very important step had not been followed by the people trying to get approval for me. They didn't realize it, but my mentor found out and was able to get things moving again.

Was it difficult? You betcha! Was it worth it? You betcha!

Good luck!

Last edited by blueangel; 04-18-2005 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:06 AM

Getting invited to another event is definitely a good sign. Good luck, and keep us posted!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! I'm glad you've made the decision to AI. I'm an AI myself. Keep us posted about your journey!
Old 04-18-2005, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all of your replies. I feel pretty confident about this, however it just feels as though it is running too smoothly. My sponsor is extremely familiar with the AI process and says there really is nothing to it. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I haven't read anything about anyone being initiated in the jades as an alumni, so it is not all too common I guess, however maybe their process is different than the rest. I can relate to not wanting to be a pain and wanting to be viewed as pro active. I just hope they see me that way. The next event is coming up soon and the sisters are going to help me fill out my paperwork. I will keep you posted.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by blueangel
Strap in, you're about to go on the roller coaster ride of your life! Anybody who tells you AI is easy doesn't know what they're talking about. It is an emotionally draining process with many ups and downs.

Like you, I had pledged in college. I was not initiated because I transferred schools where there was no chapter. I never depledged.

Three years ago, I contacted a local alumnae chapter and national to see if I could help out. I didn't even know it was possible to be initiated once you were out of college. I had only called because I wanted to see if I could help mentor some of the collegiates in my profession, and also, to help out the philanthropy But an officer called me and told me it was possible to become a "special initiate" (the term this group uses for AI). As you can imagine, I was thrilled!

But, it took three years since that first phone call. There were many times I thought it would never happen.

Because AI is only now becoming more common, the system is filled with speed bumps. The ball often gets dropped along the way by accident because someone trying to help you may not know the proper forms to fill out, or that something needs a vote.

My best advice to you is to find yourself a mentor in the sorority you're seeking to become initiated with. And most of all... BE PROACTIVE!

If things have stalled, don't take it as a "no".... take it as a "whoops, someone must have forgotten a step, I better inquire what's going on!"

It's so easy to think, "Oh, they don't want me afterall. They just aren't coming out and telling me" when the real reason is that someone is waiting for paperwork, approval, or a vote.

For me, the hardest part of this was not knowing if I was crossing the line of being a "pain" or being "pro-active." I would say, err on the side of being pro-active.

And.. don't forget to use GC as a resource. Some wonderful women helped get the ball rolling again for me when things stalled and looked hopeless. It turned out that one very important step had not been followed by the people trying to get approval for me. They didn't realize it, but my mentor found out and was able to get things moving again.

Was it difficult? You betcha! Was it worth it? You betcha!

Good luck!

Sage advice from someone who has been there!

Remember, nothing that is easy to get is worth attaining.

I am sure with the help of many of The Ladys on GC, you will be guided well in your travels.

As was mentioned, AI is New to many, and is a source of People who are willing to work with an Oganization for the betterment.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-04-2005, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

on my way to becomming a member of....?

Well, everything is done that I could have done. My paperwork is sent, dues paid, recs sent. It is all a matter of time now. I can't wait to find out what happens!
Old 05-04-2005, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

wow!!!!!!!!1 this is great news! now, we will all just have to wait to find out who the jades are!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to trojangal
Great!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

Membership in a sorority brings pride and responsibility. Let your actions reflect the same.
CAB, Delta Eta, University of South Florida
Old 05-10-2005, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
that's so exciting! congrats. i went through AI a few years ago and my journey was actually pretty easy b/c my good friend was my sponsor and pres of the alum chapter and she was my co-worker, so we talked every day. made things easy.

best of luck!
Old 05-12-2005, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Still waiting to hear back. They took my money, though. My check was cashed and cleared so I know they received my application. They wouldn't take my money and tell me too bad would they? If they have my money it's lookin good to me.