Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,059
0 members and 1,059 guests
No Members online

Old 08-13-2006, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh the drama

Just reading the drama in the AI forum right now... thought we might add our constructive two cents here. Honey, I'm not trying to start any inflammatory posts, but it does seem this is a hot button issue, and I am curious to see what the ADPi's think of this.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I've definitely been keeping up with the drama over there! I can't decide which is more exciting, the rush threads or the AI conumdrum.

Well, from what I can tell:

a. having the AI forum on GC seems to be opening up a can of worms for many NPC headquarters with questions, forms, bickering, etc, from both "hopeful PNAIs" AS WELL as their own members;

b. having the AI forum on GC seems to be informing women of something that they otherwise would never have known about, but that in itself is a moot point because it really, seldom, hardly ever, in 90% of the cases and sororities in question happens anyway, so it doesn't matter if they ever get informed about it;

c. having the AI forum on GC seems to be giving women, both the reasonable, active and intelligent ones as well as the "no way will you ever be a member of my organization" ones the hope/idea that they can be a member of a sorority;

d. having the AI forum on GC is right now giving mostly incorrect and incomplete information without regard for any of the NPC sororities AND without their being able to do anything about it other than following through with a correctly worded PM to a MAN and hoping that the Earp God ("No correction for YOU!" Seinfeld-style) will accept their offer/sacrifice/cowtowing and will post something halfway reasonable pertaining to their sorority that they DON'T want up anyway.

Hmm...I think that about covers it from what I can see/read. Other than that, could all this drama be at a worse possible time of the year for sororities?
Old 08-13-2006, 07:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! I never realized how much was going on. I knew that there was a thread to get a new moderator. Some women wanted a female moderator who would attempt to give correct information (their arguement). I just kind of read the thread.

I see the good points and the bad points of the forum. But then again the same almost goes for the Rush forum. It's kind of the same thing, PNM's coming in thinking "OMG I'm totally going to get a bid" and then get severly disappointed with A) the process or B) that they didn't get a bid to the chapter they wanted.

The good is that now PNAM's know about AI. The bad is that some people are using it as a way becauase they got cut every single time they rushed in college. Unfortunately with GC we can't weed out the bad seeds. But I say that that should be up to the individual sororities the people are attempting to join. It's not up to us on GC (the internet) to start saying "no you will be a bad sister because you rushed 3 times in college and got cut all 3 times". Again, that is up to the chapter(s) they are looking at.

AI is just a very "touchy" subject. I think a bit more discretion is required with it. Some of the PNAM's have done a wonderful job, but some you shake your head thinking "WTF?".

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, I'm somewhat glad that this came up. I'm interested in knowing what everyone thinks, both when you read the AI thread/Forum and what you think would be a good answer. I also appreciate the tenor of the thread, a LOT!!

I was toying with asking someone who is involved with AI for a statement, for our Forum. Please consider that a possibility, too.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Honeychile, coming from someone who used to be part of the AI approvals process: I would not go so far as to make any statement about AI and ADPi on GC. If someone is going to be invited to AI for ADPi, we'll ask her. There's info on our web site for members. That's it. Anyone who calls our HQ wanting AI info will be told as much. It really isn't our place to advertise it on GC, but rather to meet women in our communities, ADPi moms, RMH volunteers, etc., that we could see as involved and active members of our AA's and chapters.

Let's remember that GC is just a public message board. We can't make any "official" statements. I think there is tendancy to not remember this at times-- what happens on GC is not the real world. We can't qualify anything anyone says. And for that matter, with the number of trolls that have been outed in the past, we truly shouldn't trust that the people we are speaking with are always who they say they are. Let's continue to use GC as a goodwill idea sharing/friendship forum and leave the statements to the official websites and organizations.

Regarding the drama: I wish Tom would just delete the whole thread.

Last edited by adpiucf; 08-13-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Man I tried reading through that thread and it was just too exhausting and hateful!
Old 08-14-2006, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

FYI, I was thinking more of a statement on OUR Forum, not for the AI Forum, stating that an ADPi will invite someone who qualifies for AI to an Alumnae Association meeting, and not to bother EO.

But you are right, adpiucf - we really shouldn't be used for policy.

And WLFEO, you're right, too - that's an unholy mess! I really don't want to be dragged into it!

Anyone else feel that the thread should be deleted? How about the Forum?
Old 08-14-2006, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that particular thread is a large mess. I'm not sure about the forum itself. I think it has some benefit to some people and some organizations, but is a detriment to other people/ organizations. In ADPi's case, obviously no one who "found out about AI on the internet" will get very far.
I do like what is listed by ADPi at the begining of that particular thread though. ADPi- AI by invitation only.
If you wanted to put a sticky thread here in our ADPi GC forum it could be something along that line of thought. Something like this??
"While Greek Chat is not an official source of ADPi policy, we do want to let women who are considering the Alumna Initiation process know that while ADPi does have a program, it is by invitation only. Please do not contact our International Headquarters, nor any ADPi Greek Chat members about our process. Thank you."
What do you all think?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

ADPi Violet- I think what you wrote is perfect. Short, sweet, and gets the point across nicely, without any of the drama that AI seems to stir up around here (here being GC, not our forum).

I do think that thread should be deleted. I guess the forum in general is ok, but I think there need to be some more rules or guidelines for it. I used to go over there all the time, but now I avoid it like the plague.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel that AI is not an open membership drive like collegiate recruitment-- it's not like we need new member classes of alumnae initiate members to sustain the organization. That isn't the intent of the AI programs, and that does seem to be an NPC-wide way to approach AI.

The sub forum, however encouraging or discouraging, is really encouraging a lot more women to seek out AI on their own, and while I can't speak for other sororities-- we aren't actively persuing new alumnae members. Our programming is focused on retention from bidding to initiation to graduation to alumnae membership. Right now-- that isn't to say things might change. Nor am I slamming the program or any AI's in ADPi or any other sorority.

HOWEVER-- Those who are invited to AI are valued members and sisters, and I know in some cases some of these AI's are chosen because of their time and proximity to a collegiate chapter who lacks any onsite alumnae support (IE: Upsilon's chapter adviser, for example, is AMAZING and an AI). That is by and large not true for many of the AI's on GC, but there are enough who have flitted through to make you wonder about who's on the internet these days and why they didn't get that sorority bid the first time around.

I don't know what's so bad about moving those AI threads back into the Alum Involvement forum-- the forum is largely silent while the subforum is very active. I will go out and say that I don't think Tom is the right moderator for that particular forum at this time, and that he may need additional support for the forum.

And I know GC attracts its fair share of nutjobs here and there, but it seems the AI subforum has turned into a butterfly net for women who "find" AI for all the wrong reasons: still nursing a grudge that they got dropped from sorority recruitment 3-20 years ago and are hell bent to join.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf

I don't know what's so bad about moving those AI threads back into the Alum Involvement forum-- the forum is largely silent while the subforum is very active. I will go out and say that I don't think Tom is the right moderator for that particular forum at this time, and that he may need additional support for the forum.

And I know GC attracts its fair share of nutjobs here and there, but it seems the AI subforum has turned into a butterfly net for women who "find" AI for all the wrong reasons: still nursing a grudge that they got dropped from sorority recruitment 3-20 years ago and are hell bent to join.
I wholeheartedly agree. And delete the thread, by all means.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll say one thing about the AI thread...
Reading that thread would CERTAINLY turn me off to the thought of AI, since 95% of the NPC women posting are rude B*TCHES!

On another note, I don't care what they post about ADPi and AI. I disagree with AI, I wish ADPi did not allow it. However, people can say what they want about our sorority. Only we know what *really* goes on.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

BTW
Best. Post. Ever.

adpiucf
Right, you'll actually get a lot more opportunities for service and social interaction than you will in a sorority alumnae assocation. Thank you, Blueangel, for clarifying that. We are truly indebted for your amazing wisdom and knowledge in all areas of life, especially Greek Life.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelphean

On another note, I don't care what they post about ADPi and AI. I disagree with AI, I wish ADPi did not allow it. However, people can say what they want about our sorority. Only we know what *really* goes on.

I'm curious as to why you don't think we should allow AI? Like, I really want to know your opinion. I see the positive in it and I wanna hear from someone who doesn't see the positive in it.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Question: the thread y'all are talking about, is it the one that Tom Earp (I think it was him) that started reposting all the NPC information. It's like 24 pages long. After reading like a page and a half I got tired of reading it and stopped.

I think the problem with the AI forum is that because GC is so public that sometimes it gives off the wrong information. Women come on and see these PNAM's posting and pretty much all the women who have posted their story have had success, so they just "assume" that the same will happen to them.

I think AI is wonderful. I got to witness two AI's initiated at convention last year, it was incredibly touching. I have a friend who I think would make a wonderful sister, but her being in a different state makes it somewhat difficult to broach the subject. But that is also my opinion. Just because I think she's wonderful doesn't mean everyone else will .

But on the other hand I want women to be informed. Just because there are "successes" on GC, doesn't mean there are successes for everyone. (Does that make sense). Plus, I don't like that some PNAM's think the process is quick. It isn't. Some PNAM's have been doing the process for 2+ years before they get initiated (or decide not to pursue membership anymore).

I feel kind of conflicted with AI, as I'm sure I've somehow gotten across. LOL.