GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,185
4 members and 1,181 guests
LaneSig, Mooch279, TLLK

Old 01-16-2005, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

Is anyone watching tonight's show?

It features the Anderson family in South Central Los Angeles. Rodney Anderson, college basketball student, shot 4 times by a gang member and it was mistaken identity. He is paralyzed.

Seeing the home they have lived in for the last 4 years is very very sad. There is about 7 or 8 people living in this house with one bathroom that has no sink.

Yes, I have already shed my tears.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Oooh thanks for reminding folks. I'll tune in now...

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 01-16-2005, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm, doesn't seem like they'll complete TWO homes in 6 days, especially with the unexpected problems, but we shall see....
Old 01-16-2005, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Tivo

I've got it recording on Tivo right now. I'm going to watch and I'll get back to you!
Old 01-16-2005, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Proverbs31
Hmmm, doesn't seem like they'll complete TWO homes in 6 days, especially with the unexpected problems, but we shall see....
Thanks to tv.yahoo.com I knew last week they would not meet the 7 days, but they are doing so much for SUCH a deserving family. That original house was to be dayumed.

I love this show so much.

I cannot believe Tracey is in the freaking Bahamas.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay Rodney!

I am loving this episode, and I can't stop crying. That was so awesome that they retired Rodney's jersey. I hope that they give him a wheel-chair accessible vehicle, so that he can get out and attend some of the games in person. I can't wait to see how the 2 houses come out.

Marie
Old 01-16-2005, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Re: Yay Rodney!

Quote:
Originally posted by Marie
I am loving this episode, and I can't stop crying. That was so awesome that they retired Rodney's jersey. I hope that they give him a wheel-chair accessible vehicle, so that he can get out and attend some of the games in person. I can't wait to see how the 2 houses come out.

Marie
Say what you want about Ty Pennington getting on your nerves, but that man has a heart of pure gold when it comes to doing for these familes. All of the design team actually.

It sounds like they are going to make it so Rodney is more self-sufficient. At the beginning of the show, they mentioned how his sister Gloria helps him bathe everyday. I know that has to be bad for her back especially sleeping on a floor everyday with no mattress for about 4 years.

This show makes you really count all of your blessings.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh my goodness, yes, this definitely has me counting my blessings. I lost it when Courtney said "I finally have a bed."
Old 01-16-2005, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Yay Rodney!

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4
This show makes you really count all of your blessings.
It sure does. To see someone so excited just to have a bed. I can't even imagine it.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Proverbs31
Oh my goodness, yes, this definitely has me counting my blessings. I lost it when Courtney said "I finally have a bed."

I lost it once I heard the choir singing.

My brother called so I missed them playing the tape of the 911 call.

Ty really outdid himself tonight with the engagement ring AND the wedding!!
Old 01-16-2005, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Just finished watching

I am so thankful for all that I have! I am also thankful for strong people like Rodney and his family. Everytime I watch this show I cry and my heart aches to do more for the community.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking 8 days to build 2 houses!
I am so thankful...
so very, very thankful
Old 01-16-2005, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry I missed this episode. Normally I watch, but was busy. There's not a time I watch EM:HE and didn't cry.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~Martin Luther King
Old 01-17-2005, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

When Ty gave them the wedding, I was crying even more. I am so happy for Rodney and Monique.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:47 AM
GreekChat Member

A wedding??? I had to leave while they were showing them their new house, so I was able to see the ring that was given. But they actually got married on the SPOT! Oh my goodness....they really did out do themselves! WOW!
#4 - The Professor
Spring 2001 - GenuOne
Xi - University of Louisville
Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Fans of Reality TV.com

I got this from FORT:

In March 2000, Rodney Anderson of South Central Los Angeles was on his way to the NBA and a degree in social work, thanks to a full basketball scholarship from California State University at Fullerton (CSUF). On a rare day off from practice, he came home to have dinner with his family. Afterwards, he went for a walk -- the last time he would do so. Gang members approached Rodney and shot him in the back, thinking he was a rival gang member, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down, with little movement in his arms.

Since the accident, it has been a constant struggle for Rodney and his family. His mother, Martha, had to quit her job and his sister, Glenda, moved into the small, dilapidated house in order to care for Rodney, who is now 22 years old. A year to the day of Rodney's accident, his father, Joe, was involved in a car accident and had to have three toes amputated. During his recovery period, the family was in dire financial need.

With assistance from the state of California and former assemblyman Carl Washington, a contractor was hired to begin work on the Anderson home to make it wheelchair-accessible for Rodney. But the contractor never returned to complete the job and left were gaping holes where there should have been walls, leaving the house exposed to the elements and making it almost completely uninhabitable.

Rodney was restricted to two rooms in the house, which included the dining room that had been converted into his bedroom. The three-bedroom, one-bath house, which was built in 1911 and is 1424 sq. feet, was in such bad shape that the living room ceiling was on the verge of collapsing and the floorboards couldn't bear the weight of Rodney's wheelchair.

Last year, Rodney proposed to Monique Allen, his girlfriend for the past five years. Since Rodney's accident, they haven't been able to be alone much and they miss taking long walks on the beach.

Rodney is an honor student at CSUF and attends classes and basketball games in a wheelchair. While Rodney and his fiancee Monique, along with his parents, sister Glenda and her three children, Mellone, 19, Louis, 16 and 12-year-old Cordney, went on vacation to the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island in the Bahamas, CSUF held a special campus event where Rodney's basketball number was retired.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I will definitely watch How'd They Do That tonight!