GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,163
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, TSigmaSlay
» Online Users: 1,037
1 members and 1,036 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 12-29-2004, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Chapter Anniversaries

Sorors,

What activities, special events, party favors, etc. have you done for your chapter's anniversaries? My initiating chapter will be celebrating 25 years in 2006 and we are planning now. I would like to make it SPECIAL in a big way.

Please share.

P.S. This is a collegiate chapter but we want to bridge the gap between then and now.

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 12-29-2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Hope this helps....

Soror-
My chapter celebrated its 25th year anniversary on December 1st. Here are a few things that the chapter did:

1. I added a flash to the website with the logo that we made:
http://www.epcpdst.org

2. They had lapel pins made with the logo and gave to each chapter soror. We wear it to all events this year or any Delta functions.

3. They made a quilt. It is gorgeous and will go in our house when its purchased. I can send you a pic of it. I haven't had time to post it to the website.

4. Since our chapter was founded in 1979, we had a "Red Lights in the Basement" party. We all dressed like we were in the 70s and had dance contests, stroll contests, "The Littlest Soror" contest (a baby picture contest), etc. I have pictures on our website of the event.

5. Worship Celebration on the second Sunday in November. We also honored our deceased sorors during the service. In particular, a soror from the first line in our chapter died and it was her church we went to, so they dediated a room to her there and we donated money to the church's scholarship fund in her name.

6. On December 1 (our anniversary), we had a reception. Mayors and other government officials attended and presented us with procolmations. Also, about 20 out of 31 charter members were present. We presented them with the quilt I mentioned above.

7. We are planning a cruise for the summer.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Hope this helps....

Quote:
Originally posted by lostnfound117

5. Worship Celebration on the second Sunday in November. We also honored our deceased sorors during the service. In particular, a soror from the first line in our chapter died and it was her church we went to, so they dediated a room to her there and we donated money to the church's scholarship fund in her name.

THIS IS GOOD ISHT!! One of our charter members died and we have a scholarship in her honor but I would love for us to do more. ThANK YOU. I will be sure to compile all of these ideas. Keep them coming.

Oh and I know I addressed this to sorors but I would like to know what other Greeks have done as well.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My initiating chapter celebrated 50 years in '01. That same year was my 10th year reunion. So, my memory is kind of hazy, but I do remember:

We also, like Lostnfound's celebration, presented our charter members (1 is deceased) with AKA quilts with their names (charter members')embroidered on each quilt.

We also recognized deceased sorors initiated in the chapter.

There was a display of pictures, sweaters, momentos from each decade 50's to 01.

There were commodations from other orgs and political figures as well. The other highlight was that the President of Grambling, also a chapter intiate was on hand for the weekend.

Also, sorors from each decade entertained the sorors with something they could remember from their era. It could have been a stroll, song they serenaded on campus, poem, or step.

We had a talent show among sorors.

Our favors included: shirt, magnet, canvas bag, and poster. They all incuded the same logo.

As I reflect, I kind of get all misty-eyed. It was such an honor to be in the presence of our charter members. They gave their "testimony" if you will. They were so cute. They did not think that what they had done all those years ago was a "major" event.
I was surprised to learn that one of our charter members and my father were colleagues at one time.

I'm sure you all are going to have a great time. Congratulations on your 25th (in advance). This thread will be a resource to me as the current chapter I am in will be celebrating 25 years in '09. We're planning NOW, well, we are saving money NOW for the event!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to treblk
My chapter is celebrating our 25th year in 2005, and we are having it around graduation, to celebrate the great achievements of Sorors.
Friday is registration and a light reception. We all will go to Black Graduation together and bond like we use to.
Saturday: Formal banquet in the evening.
Sunday: Ecumenical Service adn rededication

This is what I was told so far, but I also heard that there would be a community service perhaps Saturday morning with the Alumnae chapter, and some other sororly events.

I'm looking so forward to this because I get to meet Sorors that were made through my chatpter in the 80's!
Old 12-30-2004, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you AKA2D and Soror Treblk for your input. This weekend I will put together some ideas, a lot thanks to you all, and present them to the chapter members. I want folks to look forward to coming back.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeliteful Send a message via Yahoo to skeeliteful
Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91

Also, sorors from each decade entertained the sorors with something they could remember from their era. It could have been a stroll, song they serenaded on campus, poem, or step.

My undergrad chapter did this at our luncheon during our 30th anniversary celebration.

Our 30th was planned around our chapter's AKA week, so the alumnae events were from Friday-Sunday. Friday evening was a light wine & cheese social right before the annual stepshow. Saturday was our anniversary luncheon where our charter members were honored as well as past chapter presidents. Sunday we all went to church together and had lunch afterwords.