Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,490
2 members and 1,488 guests
chitownxo, John

Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Involving Greek and Non-Greek Organizations

My goal for this upcoming semester is to be elected for Philanthropy chair of my sorority. As Philanthropy chair, I want to encourage non-greeks to get involved with our philanthropy events. Like I want them to form teams for our Jello tug of war or our dodgeball event.

Basically I really want to build a bridge between Greeks and Non-Greeks and even if I don't get Philanthropy chair, I still want to encourage everyone to participate. Do you guys have any ideas of how to do that?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

- Longer lead time so that you can have more promotion

- Teaming up with a non-Greek organization and promoting the event as such (ex. "Student Council and XYZ Sorority bring you _______.)

These are just off the top of my head. I believe there are a few other threads about this, so I'd browse the community service forum. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudGreek View Post
Do you all have any ideas of how to do that?
Start from scratch and understand why the non-Greeks on your campus do not want to be involved. How that works depends on the campus.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Start from scratch and understand why the non-Greeks on your campus do not want to be involved. How that works depends on the campus.
Totally agreed.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that's a great idea! As for some non-greeks not being involved, it's totally up to them--but keep in mind that not everyone can afford to belong to a Greek organization or they might have numerous other obligations (student council, religious fellowship programs, etc.).
Old 08-16-2011, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
My chapter did a broomball tournament that attracted a good number of non-Greek teams. Here are some ideas:

1) Other orgs don't have the funds that many Greek chapters do, so you have to make it affordable for them. That may mean tiered pricing, it may mean a longer leadtime, or it may mean that you somehow pair up Greek/non-Greek teams (e.g. Team Chi Omega/Lacrosse Club). Or is there something they can do in kind? Like, if a group of people at the student paper want to form a team, can they swing some free ads in return?

2) It has to be an event they really want to do, because it is so much fun and/or unique. Softball tournament? Meh. Jello tug-of-war? That might get some bites. Remember, non-Greek teams have nothing to gain by signing up the way the Greeks do, so the tournament itself is the thing for them.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

How about a flag football or slow pitch softball tournament? It's fun and it'd raise some good money.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

It's easy to think of events. What isn't easy is to figure out why most of the non-Greeks haven't been attending the events. Co-hosting an event with a non-Greek organization doesn't always work.

That's why it depends on the campus and why there is a disconnect between Greek and non-Greek events.