Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,289
2 members and 1,287 guests
No Members online

Old 04-21-2004, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Question need advice

What kind of advice or suggestion can you give to someone who does have a aphio chapter at their school but is interested in rushing? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: need advice

Quote:
Originally posted by lilbluie
What kind of advice or suggestion can you give to someone who does have a aphio chapter at their school but is interested in rushing? Thanks.

does = doesn't.....

sorry for the error....
Old 04-21-2004, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Get a few friends together who may also be interested and contact the National Office www.apo.org.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GoldnBlue2004 Send a message via Yahoo to GoldnBlue2004
Re: need advice

Quote:

Are you near a school with a chapter?
FL 06

A Phi A...there is no other way.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: need advice

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldnBlue2004
Are you near a school with a chapter?
yes.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GoldnBlue2004 Send a message via Yahoo to GoldnBlue2004
Well I would advise you to get some people who are interested with you, talk to nationals, tell nationals to get that chapter to serve as your big brothers, and then go from there. What school is that you are near and what school are you from again?
FL 06

A Phi A...there is no other way.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Discretion is key.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

good call Senusret I

I'll check things out....if things work out, great ....if not, then at least I tried. Thank ya'll...
Old 04-22-2004, 04:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Contacting Nationals

Although the advice has been to recruit a few friends and then talk to Nationals, both can really be done at the same time. Start by sending email to chapter.services.dir@apo.org saying what school you are at and your US mail address and phone number and any questions you might have. The Chapter Services Director is the Fraternity Professional who works with extension efforts at the National Level. They will put you in contact with the volunteer staff in your area.
(And yes, people here are curious as to what school. They aren't trying to pry, just interested as to where you are)

Randy
Old 04-22-2004, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Contacting Nationals

Quote:
Originally posted by naraht
Although the advice has been to recruit a few friends and then talk to Nationals, both can really be done at the same time. Start by sending email to chapter.services.dir@apo.org saying what school you are at and your US mail address and phone number and any questions you might have. The Chapter Services Director is the Fraternity Professional who works with extension efforts at the National Level. They will put you in contact with the volunteer staff in your area.
(And yes, people here are curious as to what school. They aren't trying to pry, just interested as to where you are)

Randy
I know what you mean Randy.....though I been told on this forum not to give out too much info but I am right next to SJSU. I am interested in how this extension works. I'll email them and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2004, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Contacting Nationals

Quote:
I know what you mean Randy.....though I been told on this forum not to give out too much info but I am right next to SJSU. I am interested in how this extension works. I'll email them and see what happens. Thanks!
In no way am I the expert in this, but my understanding is as follows:

You need to contact APO to get a Chapter going. You'll also need to get approval from the school to bring APO here. No approval, no go. But I recommend you contact the National Office to understand what you need.

Once you do have this approval, you can start recruiting people and do some service projects. You need a minimum number of people and have done a minimum number of projects to be giving status as an Interest Group. You'll also be assigned an alumni as your sponsor who will guide you thru the whole process and will help you understand what you need to do, and what you can/can not do as you work toward being a chapter.

The next step is to become a Petitioning group. You need to increase your numbers and do more projects, and I think other things, and get approval to become a PG. During this time you'll get a big brother chapter who will work with you.

Once you get approval, you become a PG, and you are then Petitioners, which are kind of like pledges. As a PG you need to develop your pledge program, membership program, service program, etc as you increase your membership and get approved for chartering as a chapter.

Its a lot of work. The whole process can take some time. But its worth it as being able to say you're a founder of a chapter says a lot.

Hope this helps
Section 71 Chair
Old 04-22-2004, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

If *Re*activating & other advice.

The procedure is a little bit different if you are at a school that had an active chapter at one time, but not much. If you were at Santa Clara University for example, which was Eta Alpha chapter, the group would be expected to try to contact alumni (with the help of both APO National and SCU alumni office) and investigate what chapter history was like prior to it going inactive. (and any alumni you do find should be invited to rechartering of course) The rechartering chapter would get the letters Eta Alpha when it rechartered. A chartering chapter at a school with no chapter would get brand new chapter letters. (BTW, SCU went inactive in 1956, so that would make things a little more difficult)

While every extension is different, some characteristics do affect the interaction with the administration. Level of Social Greek involvement on campus generally falls into 4 possibilities
1) Strong social greek system
2) Weak social greek system
3) No social greek system, but with National Honorary Societies
4) No national greek letter organizations.

I presume your school is in category 3 or 4 since I can't find any schools with strong social greek systems other than SJSU in the San Jose area.

Religious affliation of lack thereof makes a difference. an administration at a Baptist school might want to know about the successful chapter at Houston Baptist. A Jesuit school might want to know about Georgetown University.

And we have people on this group (not me) who have been through the extension process themselves. (I"ve been on sectional staff through a half-dozen or so)

Randy
Old 04-23-2004, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info. everyone.

any possibility of rushing at another chapter?
Old 04-23-2004, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Nope....we don't do that.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing elsewhere...

Normally an extension group will be assigned a big brother chapter. (If such a school is relatively (<30-40 miles) close). While this is not the same as rushing at another school, a big brother chapter is expected to help recruit at the school, assign individual big brothers to petitioners and generally help run the first pledging cycle. (As the group gets stronger such activities move to the group attempting to charter).

Being that close to SJSU, they would probably be chosen for Big Bro chapter, SJSU's chapter is strong.

Randy