» Online Users: 1,280
2 members and 1,278 guests
No Members online

Old 11-02-2009, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader Facing Costume Controversy

News story link here

Quote:
ARLINGTON (CBS 11 / TXA 21) ―A Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader has brought some controversy to herself following the discovery of some Halloween photos on her facebook page that some say are inappropriate.

The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders are the sweethearts of America's Team, yet the actions of one of the cheerleaders off the field have drawn scrutiny and criticism.

Second-year cheerleader Whitney Isleib reportedly attended a friend's Halloween party dressed as rapper Lil' Wayne, who is black.

Pictures of Isleib, who is white, were posted on her Facebook page. The photos were leaked to a sports blog, and that's where the controversy started.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
it's sad that a lot of people still don't know/understand the history surrounding painting your face and/or body to appear to be black. my sisters and i have actually been discussing this because even tyra did this on antm where she had the models be these random mix of ethnicities. some people are trying to do it to represent art...but its not very well received.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Max!

Anyway back on topic, but I fail to see the big deal. It's freaking Halloween for goodness sake. At least she wasn't stereotyping black people like the old blackface minstrels did.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand why it could be perceived as disrespectful, especially 20-30-40 years ago- but I would hope we've moved past that by now. It's that tricky area where being PC is sometimes the opposite of respect, sometimes we overcorrect.

On another DCC note, I was pleasantly surprised to hear (in a recent DCC episode) that most of the DCCs are size 4 or size 6. It's refreshing not to hear size 0 or size 2... Sizes 4-6 are much more likely to be a healthy weight for a wider variety of people.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
. Sizes 4-6 are much more likely to be a healthy weight for a wider variety of people.
Yea, right!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
At least she wasn't stereotyping black people like the old blackface minstrels did.
How do you know she wasn't?

These stories don't move me either way. I have come to expect them around Halloween time. Yay.

I saw some really great costumes this past weekend. One white guy was dressed as Flava Flav. He skipped the black face and let folks figure it out based on the actual costume (big clock and "horn hat"). If nonBlacks think their costume can't be figured out without the black face then they need another costume.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
If nonBlacks think their costume can't be figured out without the black face then they need another costume.
Yep, this sums it up. I mean if someone's walking around with a bald cap on her forehead and yelling "kiss my fat ass! Smile with your eyes!" even if she's borderline albino, I know she's supposed to be Tyra.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadfly View Post
Yea, right!
lol I wasn't saying everyone should be that, and I'm certainly not anywhere close... but it's more realistic than model sizes 0-2.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yep, this sums it up. I mean if someone's walking around with a bald cap on her forehead and yelling "kiss my fat ass! Smile with your eyes!" even if she's borderline albino, I know she's supposed to be Tyra.
ya dig?

Tyra was Whoopi Goldberg on her show. She said she was going to try the voice but couldn't get it right. The costume was awesome enough without it. Plus, imitation and mockery are close relatives.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
If nonBlacks think their costume can't be figured out without the black face then they need another costume.
yup. this thought flashed through my mind while responding earlier but i forgot to actually type it.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Welp, being a JerrysWorld Stripper/Dancer, er I mean Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader who dresses in heinous color brown make up as a funky high paid rapper whose shelf life will be spent soon, does NOT rank high on my relevancy radar.

I mean, who cares about a homegirl on Halloween? That doesn't mean blackface is a copacetic goal one needs to be happy to reach for any costumed event. Personally, I think it is in poor taste and low self-esteem. But hey, it is something to discuss with a professionally licensed mental health provider!

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 11-03-2009, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Agreed.

Quite interesting, too, how some have decided to "blow off" the topic of this thread and focus on dress sizes of cheerleaders.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WinniBug
I really hope this comes across the right way...
If someone's a vampire for Halloween, they'd paint their face white, and if they're going as Elphaba, they'd paint themselves green. Why not?
wherever there is fun, there's ALWAYS ALPHA SIGMA!

Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

^Well, first, those are fictional characters you are talking about. Two, painting oneself as a vampire or green character simply does not have the historical connotation that painting one's face to look African American does.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Yes, but blackface was not a realistic portrayal of African Americans, even of the time. It was without exception, even when used by Black minstrels, used to potray negative stereotypes. What she was doing was applying makeup to appear to be somebody else. What about all the actors who used makeup to make themselves look Black or Arab in order to portray Othello? Same concept I think.