Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, CalderTide
» Online Users: 1,418
0 members and 1,418 guests
No Members online

Old 09-09-2006, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

new retail store?

anyone have stats on consumer demand for a greek gift shop? wondering inf online is the way to go, or if there is enough support/need for a tactile boutique stocked to the brim!
Old 09-11-2006, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, because you should always trust statstics you get on an internet message board.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Yes, because you should always trust statstics you get on an internet message board.
<yawn>
Old 09-12-2006, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek_chic_inc View Post
anyone have stats on consumer demand for a greek gift shop? wondering inf online is the way to go, or if there is enough support/need for a tactile boutique stocked to the brim!
Online would be the way to go. If you could make quality, REASONABLY priced product, you'd probably be okay. Start up costs probably a pain if you're going to manufacture the products because you'd have to get licensed for each group.

Storefront only probably wouldn't be enough to sustain, unless you're in a college town with a large greek population.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Online would be the way to go. If you could make quality, REASONABLY priced product, you'd probably be okay. Start up costs probably a pain if you're going to manufacture the products because you'd have to get licensed for each group.

Storefront only probably wouldn't be enough to sustain, unless you're in a college town with a large greek population.
Oh wow, I was wondering about the licensed thing, because currently I am working on some prototypes for a product (bracelets) for my friends who are in a few sororities. So if I were to produce products just for a chapter now as testing, should I ask for license?

Thanks a lot!
Old 09-20-2006, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

the licensing thing sucks. and yes, to my understanding you have to get licensed to produce or sell any greek product that is licensed.

www.greeklicensing.com should help and all NPHC organizations are individually licensed.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you have to licensced just to make a product using a sorority's letters, or is it only if you sell it?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
Do you have to licensced just to make a product using a sorority's letters, or is it only if you sell it?
Don't count on me for the answer, I've avoided the whole licensing thing all together by targetting unlicensed organizations. But I'll give it a shot... I met the CEO of Greek Licensing in Philly not too long ago and to my understanding, either you do have to be licensed if you are a manufacturer or retailer.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Does it normally cost a lot for licensing? Like do they go by the product you're making? or just for the greek letters in general. I'm actually surprised to see some NPC are not on that license list O_O
Old 09-23-2006, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_cat_4ever View Post
Does it normally cost a lot for licensing? Like do they go by the product you're making? or just for the greek letters in general. I'm actually surprised to see some NPC are not on that license list O_O
Just because they're not on that list doesn't mean anything. That company just happens to do the licensing for all of those orgs. Someone else does the licensing for the ones that aren't listed.

If you want to start any sort of business that involves something like this, you really need to talk to a lawyer about trademark law.

I have no idea what it costs...