GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Cool Sites
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cool Sites Know of a unique, cool & useful website? Please tell us about it here.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,142
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, CalderTide
» Online Users: 1,264
0 members and 1,264 guests
No Members online

Old 02-27-2008, 04:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
Possible Ebay Scam?

I was searching through cars for sale on Craigslist and I found a seemingly too-good-to-be-true deal on a used Camry. Without going into too many of the details, I e-mailed the contact info for the ad asking for more information and a possible test drive and tonight received a response. The man said he wants to seal the deal through ebay, and that he is in Croatia on a US military base and would have the car shipped to me via the US military air cargo after I sent the payment. He said ebay would only remit the payment to him after I received the car and inspected it. So...what do you think? Scam?
Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minDyG View Post
I was searching through cars for sale on Craigslist and I found a seemingly too-good-to-be-true deal on a used Camry. Without going into too many of the details, I e-mailed the contact info for the ad asking for more information and a possible test drive and tonight received a response. The man said he wants to seal the deal through ebay, and that he is in Croatia on a US military base and would have the car shipped to me via the US military air cargo after I sent the payment. He said ebay would only remit the payment to him after I received the car and inspected it. So...what do you think? Scam?
They usually are too good to be true. I smell a scam.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 AM
Unregistered-

I stay far away from Craigslist for obvious reasons.

If dude wants to seal the deal through eBay, why even post the listing on Craigslist in the first place?

If I may be honest, I hope you're not actually considering buying a car this way. Let's assume the guy's legit. It seems like a pain in the ass to pay for it and to even get it there to you.

Sometimes it's worth it to spend a little extra on peace of mind.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I stay far away from Craigslist for obvious reasons.

If dude wants to seal the deal through eBay, why even post the listing on Craigslist in the first place?

If I may be honest, I hope you're not actually considering buying a car this way. Let's assume the guy's legit. It seems like a pain in the ass to pay for it and to even get it there to you.

Sometimes it's worth it to spend a little extra on peace of mind.
Once I saw the word Croatia in the e-mail I and thought, oh well...but there is still a miniscule part of me that wishes it could have worked out.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
Mindy, go to Saturn of Augusta on Gordon Hwy, talk to Eddie Overby, he's a sales manager and totally awesome (short guy who talks really fast but I promise he'll do right by you, I've bought two cars from him). Tell him Melissa sent you and not only will you get a good deal on your car, I might get a referral fee
Old 03-06-2008, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
Mindy, go to Saturn of Augusta on Gordon Hwy, talk to Eddie Overby, he's a sales manager and totally awesome (short guy who talks really fast but I promise he'll do right by you, I've bought two cars from him). Tell him Melissa sent you and not only will you get a good deal on your car, I might get a referral fee
Aww, I wish I'd seen this before we bought our car! Ha...maybe next time.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Craigslist-eBay Scam

That is definitely a scam. The scammer uses Craigslist, but wants payment through eBay. Then he sends fake emails from eBay for payment. This con-man is active today--but now instead of Croatia he's supposedly in Scotland with the US military, working US/UK relations. Right.

The price for selling his car is so low I thought it was a typo. He provides a real VIN from Carfax. But it certainly isn't his car. He claims that he has to sell his US spec car and ship it back to the US by Military Air Cargo, taking 3-4 days. Just remember that shipping service-member vehicles takes up to 60 days, via ship--never air, and only to limited ports. He said eBay would hold the funds until I received the car. EBay does not contact people for direct payment; they do not hold funds. For payment, they recommend escrow.com, who does not ever contact you. Advice if using escrow.com, or any other secure site: type the address in manually, then recheck the address. The address should start https:// the s means the site is secure.; if there is no s, it is a fake site, not escrow.com. There is now software that can be sent to your computer that redirects secure sites to unsecure. I want to get the word out.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down Definite scam...here's how

There are two scams I've identified today. Luckily, I've got a good Bulls**t detector and don't fall for them. They are on Craigslist and doing the Ebay "escrow" shuffle. Ebay doesn't perform this type of escrow...only unsuspecting people will fall for it. Here's the two links to date (7-12-2009)
1. Acura RL
2. Kubota tractor (removed from site as of this posting...literally within the last hour)

Here's the Acura "owner's" response to inquiry:
Hi,

I want to thank you for your interest for my 2007 Acura RL. The car is still available and it has a clear and clean title and I'm the only owner. The condition is incredible. The paint is in perfect shape. There are no dings, scratches, damage on the body or rust. This vehicle has been very well maintained and kept both smoke and accident free. Also I want you to know that the car is fully paid off, it's not under leasing or bank liabilities.
Right now I'm out of the town with my job and I can't meet you to show you the car,this is the main reason why I chose to sell my car over the internet, but I can send you more pictures and details.I hope that is fine for you.
I'm selling it for $18,600 because I just finished the divorce with my husband.When the divorce has finished I own the car, now I don't need it and I chose to sell it because I'm in need of money.
From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using a safe payment program provided by eBay.
I can ship the car on my expense to your location. If you want to buy the car, send me your full name and delivery address and eBay company will contact you with all the details regarding this transaction ( shipping and payment details ).
If you agree with my price and my terms I am ready to reserve the car for you.
I am waiting for your email.
Thank you,
Maria

Here's the Kubota "owner's response to inquiry:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my tractor. The tractor is in perfect condition - like new! If you decide to buy it, you'll receive all the papers, owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me and the clear title. For this transaction I want to use ebay because I want to provide you a fast and very secure way. They will handle the transaction for me. You will make the payment to ebay and they will hold the money until you receive and inspect the tractor. ONLY AFTER you receive the tractor and you inspect it (you have 5 days for inspection) ebay will release the payment to me. The inspection time period will begin as soon as you receive the tractor at your address. Meanwhile eBay will hold the money into a trust account. So, this is not a blind transaction, you can see the tractor before you decide to buy it. This way we are both protected : i will know that i have a serious buyer who has the money to pay me and you will be able to see and inspect the tractor before buying it .
The final price is $ 4,000 with shipping costs and insurance included. The price is low because I want to sell the tractor very quickly. My husband died in Iraq 3 months ago and I along with my daughter decided to sell the house and we move to my sister in Nevada . I can't afford to take days off my work for this sale so i'm trying to sell it online.
If you are really interested in purchasing the tractor please send me your full name, shipping address and your phone number. Ebay will give you all the details regarding the shipping and payment.
I will appreciate an answer as soon as possible.

Regards!

Katie

See a theme developing?!?!?!?

Caveat Emptor!

Last edited by kingofbytes; 07-12-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Easier reading of copied email text
Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Um, ebay doesn't get involved with money or transactions....they've always had the lister use paypal whenever I've bought anything. Also, why would US air cargo or the military be involved in shipping this?

Sounds a little strange to me.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbytes View Post
My husband died in Iraq 3 months ago
This really pisses me off that they would say something like that to get your sympathy.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I am going through the same situation right now. The guy wants to sell it to me through ebay motors and only takes western union. I asked for a VIN# and gave it to me. It matches up. He is supposedly in iraq and can't show it to me in person. What do you think?
Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

good rule of thumb: if you have the slightest feeling that it might be a scam, it is.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Scam?

Hello there,
Thanks for your interest! The 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie Quad Cab Cummins Diesel is in excellent condition inside and out , 4X4, Automatic Transmission, Engine: 6 Cylinder 5.9L,never involved in accidents ,has 89011 ,miles, Air Conditioning. The truck has no electrical or mechanical problems.
IT IS HARD TO DESCRIBE HOW NICE THIS TRUCK IS..IT LOOKS,RUNS & DRIVES LIKE NEW!!!

I am selling this truck because I'm an US Army Sgt. currently stationed in Afghanistan and I have no use for it anymore. The price is $2,650 and there are no other costs regarding this transaction. The deal will go strictly according to eBay rules and policy. In order to start the official transaction, I need to know your details:

-FULL NAME AND SHIPPING ADDRESS ;
As soon as I have them, I'll start the official procedure and eBay service will notify you about this. You'll also receive important guidelines and payment instructions from them . I'll handle the shipping, so this will be free of charge for you. We will use eBay to manage the payment because it is the safest way for both of us and also you will have 10 days to inspect the truck before I receive the money.
Also, a refund policy will be included.
Thank you!

Scam?????????
Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think sirland is legit.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Scam???

That was the email I recieved after reviewing a truck on craigslist. Crazy huh?