Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,453
3 members and 1,450 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-02-2000, 05:07 PM
Undeclared

Post Majors

ok, i am stressing out so much!! this year we have to declare our majors, and i still have no idea what i want to do. i don't want to sound selfish, but making a lot of money is important to me(it comes second to doing something that i enjoy!) i would rather be poor and happy than rich and unhappy, but i was hoping someone had an idea of a major that was somewhat easy, and where there is an opportunity to make lots of money(besides doctors or lawyers...thats not for me.) i heard something about pharmacists that make $75,000-$100,000 a year, but science isn't my strong point. any ideas????
Old 08-02-2000, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

!!!!ECONOMICS!!!!!!!BUSINESS!!!!!!FINANCE!!!!

Econ was my fall back major. Learn how to make money & then charge people to do it.

I LOVE AMERICA$$$$$$$

[This message has been edited by SoCalGirl (edited March 04, 2001).]
Old 08-02-2000, 05:37 PM
Birdee

Smile

interesting question. i'm majoring in sociology, but i have no idea how much money you make from that or even what jobs you can get from majoring in it...i am only studying it b/c i find it interesting. if anyone has info on sociology, i would appreciate it. good luck finding a major..it's an important decision and it's one we all stress out about but whatever you pick should work out for the best.
Old 08-02-2000, 05:48 PM
Undeclared

Thumbs up

SoCalGirl...sounds like a great way to make some money. is economics hard? i'm not too familiar with it so what exactly do you learn in that class? thanks for the help!!!
Old 08-02-2000, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AXPAlum
Thumbs up

Nothing wrong with the Liberal Arts majors. It always leaves you open for any type of job. But if you're looking for money, first you want to consider what you enjoy doing. For instance, many people here obviously enjoy using the internet and computers. Why not try computer science. You'll be able to use a computer all the time and programmers are in such high demand that you'll have more money than you'll know what to do with. Figure out what makes you happy, and eventually you'll discover the answer.

AXPAlum
Old 08-02-2000, 09:29 PM
Christin

i know how it feels to not have a major yet. i am in the same boat...and its not a pleasant thing. i think my problem is that i don't know what a lot of majors are(for example, i have no idea what an engineer is). sometimes i feel so lost, but im trying not to dwell on it too much(at least not for now!) does anyone know how u can figure out what a major means(for example..engineering, computer science, etc) sometimes i feel soooo not smart! well, if u can help i would appreciate it.
Old 08-03-2000, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
From what I've seen so far, Computer Science or Engineering. If I'm not mistaken, you can make LOTS of money in Information Technology, depending on what company you go for. Plus, the demand is high. Systems change often, but you can always take continuing education courses to keep yourself current (can you tell I want to learn more about this area myself?)

Any IT people out there that can assist?
Old 08-03-2000, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm with AXPalum and tickledpink. Various computer studies or engineering are the way to go. I majored in anthropology because I liked it and I kinda regret it. Don't worry about your major being too difficult. As long as you can handle it, it will only last about 3 years and you will get many more years of benefit.
Old 08-03-2000, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I personally found Econ easy, interesting & fun. It helps to not be scared of math. You don't have to be a math whiz but if it intimidates you there could be trouble.

You learn how the economy works, how businesses decide what price to charge and quantity to produce. You can specialize in marketing, advertisintg. Anything!

Check out your school's catalog. They should have some sort of intro to business or econ class. You can always declare it and then change later if you hate it.

I agree with everyone else in that you should major in what you enjoy. I (shallowly) enjoy money. So Econ was best for me at my school. If I had known I was going to end up in it though, I would have gone to a different school and picked a more specific major. My school is all about pre-med & engineering.
Old 08-03-2000, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Econ major here too!! Although I did not find it particularly hard, I did not enjoy it. Too much theory for me!

If you are not a techie kind of person (IT/Engineering), then I would suggest a liberal arts degree and focus on a career in sales. Fortune 500 sales reps can make really nice $$ and have extremely lucrative bonus plans. Know that you have to pay your dues 1st though (i.e. not going to come out making the money like IT folks!)

You may, however, find yourself changing your mind about money coming before something that you enjoy. I know several people who had the BOMB jobs, making a LOT of money who quit because of the high stress, boring work, mega travel, etc.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited August 03, 2000).]
Old 08-03-2000, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Anything technical, dealing with science or math heavily, will hold a high earning potential, both immediately out of school and in the long run.

I am worried because I love communications, but I am afraid I won't be able to find a job. I am minoring in business and spanish to fall back on as well. Everything needs business.
Old 08-03-2000, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Aisa2000,
Reading your response made me think of something...almost any major/interest can be translated in to major bucks if you have the talent, drive and determination (and a bit of grace from God). For instance, lots of people major in communications as you mentioned. Most do not make a lot of money, but some become the Bryant Gumbels and Barbara Walters of the world. You may sacrifice in the short term...but the long term pay offs! I am a trainer (corporate--not physical) and while I make a decent living, there are those who make more than $5,000 just for an hour long keynote speech (and they do about 40 - 50 a year--you do the math!)On the flip side, I know unmotivated not too bright PhDs who check out people at the library!

Oprah says do what you love and the money will follow (easy for her to say)!!
Old 08-03-2000, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought about majoring in Sports Med..
Old 08-03-2000, 09:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Wink

I'm working on a BA in History and PoliSci. I love these subjects however I don't intend on becoming a teacher or entering politics (if I did maybe I'd be the leader of the LiberalConservativeProWestProQuebecProTreeHugger party). In this day and age school doesn't end with your BA or BSc. Next year I'll be heading off to do a degree in PR. And believe there's lots of money in that right now
Old 08-04-2000, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah, yes. Graduate school. Planning on applying this year to applied linguistics. My undergrad was anthro, but there's very little money in it. Yes, money can be made from anything, but that's only a very small percentage of society, so I wouldn't count on it. Applied linguistics (linguistics + tesl) will give me many opportunities for travel to other countries and I might even be able to get a job in my own country.