Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 936
1 members and 935 guests
No Members online

Old 11-26-2003, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Pin on Ebay??

Hey ladies!

Checkl out this auction on ebay.....3640872381. I've never seen anything like this and the pin does not have "aoe"....what do ya'll think?
Old 11-26-2003, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I think it's really an antique, and whoever ends up with it is LUCKY!
Old 11-27-2003, 03:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi ladies,

I asked around and we do not think this badge is an A Phi badge. We believe it may be an Alpha Phi Alpha badge. I am going to post in their forum and contact the seller to let him or her know that it is not an A Phi badge.

This is the email I received from another A Phi:

The inscription is all wrong, and the upright Phi is not consistent with the style of what we know to be authentic antique Alpha Phi badges.

I think this might be an antique Alpha Phi Alpha badge. Aspects leading me to this conclusion:

1. The seven jewels along the side of the A. Modern APA badges have seven jewels. Not sure why they have seven jewels, but APA had 7 founders at their Alpha chapter. (Cornell, 1906)

2. The "two dimensional" nature of the A in the badge suggests two As in one. You could look at the blue enamel as one A and the jewels as a second A.

3. According to Baird's manual, "The first World War made its impression upon the fraternity. Leaders in APA began to plan for the leadership of college men in training officers for the army." This may explain the "red, white and blue" appearance of the badge, even though APA's colors are black and gold.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by bruinaphi; 07-19-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmmmm....since the APA's said it isn't theirs my curiosity is up even more! This style of pin has appeared from time to time on eBay which makes me think it had to be an organization of somewhat significant size, but that's just me thinking aloud.

The inscription translates into "harmony friendship" if anyone wants to take that and slueth around for other orgs who have used that for a public motto.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not Alpha Phi Alpha.

The construction of the badge puts it well before 1900. My educated guess is 1870s or 1880s for this piece.

Baird's has listed 8 different local Alpha Phi organizations over the years, but I think the only one who would have a badge this old is the one founded in 1870 at Colgate Academy (now part of Colgate University) in NY.

wptw
Old 12-03-2003, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wptw
Baird's has listed 8 different local Alpha Phi organizations over the years, but I think the only one who would have a badge this old is the one founded in 1870 at Colgate Academy (now part of Colgate University) in NY.

wptw
Are you finding that info in older copies of Baird's? I only have the semi-current copy but admittedly haven't pulled it out in a while.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I found 8 total in all the Baird's editions. But all 8 had disappeared from Baird's by the 14th edition (1940), so you won't find them in later books. The Colgate group is only listed in the 3rd (1883), 4th (1890) and 5th (1898) edition.

wptw
Old 12-03-2003, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Fabulous information--thank you!

(I'm also envious of your bookshelf!)