Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,189
1 members and 1,188 guests
Xidelt

Old 12-29-2004, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Question for you wonderful ladies....

Ladies,

Bear with me a moment. It’s a rather long post.

I am a Lambda Chi, and have been actively involved with my fraternity since I was initiated some 12 years ago. I also have other family members that were greek. My sister (whom I am very close to) was into going greek when she went to college. They only had locals as the campus she went to and graduated from. She joined the Beta pledge class of a newly formed local there at her alma mater. Anyway, she graduated, went on to grad school in another town, got married and settled down. She is older than me, (she’s 34) and has always longed for the lifetime greek involvement I have because my org is inter/national. She always wished she had been in an NPC group as she wanted that structure, alumni involvement, inter/national sisterhood, etc. Well, after doing some digging, I came to find out that her old local went NPC and became a chapter of Theta Phi Alpha. She was very excited to see that the group she was a part of (she was initiated into the local and one of the listed founders was her big sister) is now inter/national and NPC affilliated. Talking about it with her at Christmas she was very excited for her old group. She began to wonder what the possibility would be of getting initiated into Theta Phi Alpha now.

As an extremely involved alumni, I know that it is different for each group. Lambda Chi Alpha does honorary initiations/alumni initiations for members of locals that later affiliated with the org if the local group votes to do so. I know she would definitely be interested in exploring the opportunity if it exists. I am asking because I know the questions to ask; her experience with greek life was limited to the local, and she doesn’t really know what to do or where to go to find out the answers. I think it would be AWESOME for her to have this experience, and share your sisterhood, but of course that would be ya’lls decision.

My question I guess is as follows: 1) Is it possible to do an initiation of an alumni who was a member of the local, and 2) How would she go about finding out? I guess get in touch with the local chapter, national chapter?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Andy (aka lifesaver)
Old 12-31-2004, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi Andy,

If your sister was initiated into the local and that local became a chapter of TPA, she is automatically eligible to be initiated into TPA. In fact, she should have been conacted about it when the TPA chapter was installed. In any case, I would suggest that she contacts National Office and explains the situation to them (info@thetaphialpha.org or 1-877-THETA-PHI). Just out of curiosity, what school did she go to?

Good luck and please let me know if you (or she) need any more help with this!

Edited because I put the wrong phone number

Last edited by ThetaPhiAngel; 12-31-2004 at 01:53 AM.