GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,150
2 members and 1,148 guests
Xidelt

Old 07-11-2000, 11:09 AM
TrueGreekLove

Post Ghetto acting interests

A friend and I were talking last night about a certain college in our area that we feel is truely the epitome of "ghetto". There are Greeks on that campus as well and we were discussing about what their informationals might be like considering the school. Greeks have you ever had people show up to your informationals who you knew there was just no way they would ever wear your letters by the way they carried themselves? What are some absolute no no's that you have seen or know you would not allow to pledge your beloved orgs. ?
Old 07-11-2000, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with DeltaBrat that we need a little more clarification as to what's meant by "ghetto". But on the whole, in my opinion, all that matters to me is that you know that there is a time and place for everything. Greek org's don't seek to change people, we only seek to bring in people that have our aims and goals in mind and who are ready to do what is neccesary to achieve those aims. If a person is a certain way that we see as negative, the only thing we can do is make it known to them, and then act as positive role models for them. Hopefully, they will take our lead and be fully ready for all that our org's call for. As far as definate "no-no's", my only one would be disrespect for oneself. Because when it comes down to it, if you don't respect yourself, I don't see how you could ever FULLY respect my Sigma Gamma Rho.
Yeeep Out!
SoloRHO
***PEACE: Proper Education Always Corrects Error***
Old 07-11-2000, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

when i think of ghetto, i think of loud rowdy behavior(very unbecoming for a young lady) or a certain mind set - ex you don't take care of your responsibilities(bills & children) but you hang out at the club etc. personally, i really don't see those type of people wanting to do community service anyway
Old 07-11-2000, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

I'm with Deltabrat on this one. Why do you refer to the behavior you described as being "ghetto"? I know unrefined, uncouth women who grew up in the suburbs. I also know sophisticated, well-versed women who grew up in the so-called ghetto. I understand that the term "ghetto" has come to be synonymous with any behavior that is distasteful, but I still cringe when I here it. To me, it's as worse as using the "n" word to refer to one of your friends. Maybe you should rephrase your question and rethink the implications of what you're asking. I think you just discovered one of the "no-no's" on your own.

[This message has been edited by SkeeBunny (edited July 11, 2000).]
Old 07-11-2000, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Ditto skeebunny,
Having lived in the "ghetto" all of my life, it hurts sometimes to hear the word used when reffering to unladylike behavior or behavior not becoming of a gentleman. I know many poeple in my neighborhood (ie myself)who are nothing of the kind. But anyway, that being said, my feelings on the question are already posted, so I'll just hear what others have to say.
SoloRHO
PEACE: Proper Education Always Corrects Error
Old 07-11-2000, 05:06 PM
TrueGreekLove

I apologize if I have offended anyone with my choice of slang. I was raised in the inner city myself. And I am not offended by the use of the term ghetto...cause you know what? there are all types of ethnicities that reside in the inner city, it isn't just person's of color, so i don't take someone using the word to describe someone's behavior to be synonymous with the "n" word. But being that my experience and beliefs aren't going to apply to everyone else I apologize to those who took offense.

Now what I am asking is, since not everyone who is interested in being greek, becomes a greek, have you ever met someone that based on the way they have carried themselves you knew just was not going to be in your org if you had anything to say about it. For example a girl/guy that was known for being loose or was always seen drinking or smoking marijuana? Or the girl/guy that couldn't put a sentence together if it didn't consist of curses? The girl/guy who whenever a fight kicks off is bound to be in the center of it....People plege orgs for a variety of reasons and community service isn't always the first that comes to mind...this person may just want some letters and be caught up in the social aspect of it...have you ever come across people like that and if so what happened?
Old 07-11-2000, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

oh is that what ghetto means? The behavior you described comes off as immature or just ignorance maybe? I do not know about that "ghetto" description though. That term was originally used to describe the way people of color act. So regardless of what it means to you, it still is one of the many degrading terms used to describe my people. I have heard it used describing other races, but only in a mocking matter............. I am sure that personality does play a part in ones chance in being chosen into a sorority or fraternity. Greeks always tell us that just because you have the grades, service, and college credits, that does not mean you will get in. So one would have to assume that your personality would def. play a big part in your acceptance.
Old 07-12-2000, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Can you please explain what you mean by "ghetto"?
Old 07-12-2000, 12:50 AM
alphaphigrl

In my sorority it isn't about how a person dresses, except for some exceptions. If we asked for dressy attire and that woman kept on showing up in sloppy workout clothing, then we would definately have a problem. However, we do judge the character of the woman. If she appears to be uninterested or not motivated whatsoever, then that is someone who wuold not be asked to join. Of course, generally someone who dresses completely different from the women in my sorority might be looked at with much more scrutiny to see if her ideals and likes are the same as the women in the sorority. our rush lasts for a month so it gives us a while to actually get to know these women and know who will be a sister and who will not!!
AEPhi Forever!!!
beta gamma pledge class, we were rockin from start to finish!!

Old 07-12-2000, 10:00 AM
dpherlove

Cool

actually the term ghetto refers to back when the jewish people were being persecuted in europe and they were forced to live in restricted areas, aka "ghettos." I don't believe anyone is trying to place a correlation between people of color and the term b/c ghetto areas are not in the best condition so they are trying to call the person as cheap as the area. I am totally not offended seeing as though i am a person of color and i did grow up in the south bronx projects! It's ridiculous the way people quarrel over such miscommunications.
DPhiE
NYU
Old 07-12-2000, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Regardless of the origins of the term "ghetto", we all know that over time words may and do take on "new" meanings. What is offensive to someone may not be offensive to another. Unfortunately, the term ghetto has become mostly associated with people of color and has been known to describe attitude, behavior, or mentallity. Although I understood the question put forth, I too, was put off at first by the choice of slang used.
Old 07-12-2000, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

When I hear ghetto, I just think cheap or crappy.. I don't think of any people of color. My roommate was one of the first people I heard use it and he's asian. I think he used it referring to a video game that he bought that sucked.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Zeta Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 07-12-2000, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for putting that so eloquently, Soror. I wasn't even going to bother responding to that one ...

Steve Corbin,

No matter what you believe the term "ghetto" to mean, it is offensive. I've also heard whites, Asians or other ethnic groups use the "n" word when talking to their friends. Just because the word has been accepted as a slang term by the general public, doesn't make it any less offensive. Regardless of the origins of the word, the fact remains that the "ghetto" is made up of primarily people of color. Using that word to describe uncivilized behavior insinuates an air of superiority and suggests that people who are raised in the "ghetto" don't have good home training. It is just not true.

I'm big on analogies, so maybe this will help you understand. Since you are Greek, I'll put it in Greek terms. What if everytime someone got pissy drunk, others would say, "that is so Greek of you". Isn't that unfair? Or if someone had a really low GPA and others said, "that is so Greek". Would that bother you? I think it would because it is a sweeping generalization of how all Greeks are.

[This message has been edited by SkeeBunny (edited July 12, 2000).]
Old 07-12-2000, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Like I said earlier, words take on different meanings to different people. As a member of the black community and where I live, that is what the term "ghetto" signifies. Everyone's definition may vary. Therefore, what is not offensive to you is offensive to me.
Old 07-12-2000, 03:56 PM
TrueGreekLove

Ok I think we pretty much figured out that some people take offense to the word ghetto while others do not. I am the one that originally used the word in my question , I already stated that although I don't find it offensive I understand that there are those who do and I apologize for offending anyone...The reason why I used it was not intended to be offensive...it's a slang word I hear in everyday language by all types of people...and have never met anyone that took offense to it until now. I definitely don't feel like reading about the word ghetto for the next 30 post, so let's end this conversation right here and now, as a matter of fact forget the whole question I don't care for an answer right about now. Thanks anyways.