GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 966
4 members and 962 guests
KDKells, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 08-16-2011, 07:53 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Kentucky Rush--Fall 2011

UK has 13 NPC sororities. Phi Mu is brand new and recruitment for that starts in September so we only rank 12 during the first round even though we did go to a presentation for the group. I'm an out-of-state student with only one rec--but no one I've talked to has had recs here?

Mint Chocolate Chip – This was my first house and everyone in my Gamma Chi group was freaking out, it felt like we were going on a date with a total stranger! The girls didn’t do any chants before we went in but they were so polite, bubbly, and friendly as they greeted us. Each of the PNM’s talked to four girls (or at least the 15 girls in my group did) at this chapter. There were absolutely no awkward pauses and they kept complimenting me on not being nervous…I guess I was hiding it well! I was very excited about this group.

Milk&Cookies – I was taking downstairs by the active recruiting me and we were literally screaming at each other because it was so loud. I talked to two girls at this house but other than having the same major, the conversation was stilted. I was so pumped from the first house that I felt horrible leaving this one because we hadn’t carried a good conversation. I was keeping an open mind though because I assumed I just didn’t have any common interests with the two girls. I answered all of the questions in detail but it just didn’t flow.

Peach Cobbler – Looking back, I had written “Yes, please!” next to it in my book. It was my favorite so far (I realize that isn’t saying much about anything as it was the third house). Before we entered the house a girl (she was a sophomore) tried to trash talk the chapter but the girls I met were so genuine and laid back. This is one of the few houses that did not just focus on where you were from or what your major was. The actives were so passionate about their sisters and that fact had me super pumped.

Dublin Mudslide – I don’t want to say anything negative about any chapter but this was the most awkward house of the day. I talked to my active but she looked away while I was speaking so I felt like she didn’t want to be there which made me not want to be there. I was so upset after I left because so far everyone had been nice and polite and this chapter just gave me bad vibes. A few girls in my group loved it though! It just goes to show you how first impressions can be so different.

Maple Blondie – This is the only house that I had a rec from because I knew an active in the chapter. This group was extremely laid back and bubbly! In other groups we weren’t supposed to shake hands or touch but I was greeted by handshakes from everyone. Is it strange to say that I fell in love with the house mom? She was incredibly sweet and made me feel so welcome as soon as I came through the door. I talked to 3 girls and they all shared an interest in running—my favorite thing to do! I was very excited to come back.

Triple Caramel Chunk - This is the only house where every girl looked alike…it was very intimidating but I kept an open mind…and I loved it! The first active I talked to forgot to ask me the basic questions and instead we went on a tangent about getting wisdom teeth removed. I know, that sounds like such an awkward topic but we each had funny stories to share. The second active I spoke to jumped in on the conversation and when they rang the bell to signal our time was up, she realized she didn’t know any of my basic details. It was funny though and I enjoyed the relaxed conversation.

Stawberry Cheesecake – This chapter actually gave a mini house tour when we arrived and I spoke to an active in another sister’s room. Everything was gorgeous and there were no awkward moments. I didn’t write many details about this one for some reason but I know that I liked it.

S'mores – This house was incredibly impressive on the first day! Once again we were taken to bedrooms and such. I talked to one active the entire time but as soon as we realized we lived near each other, we didn’t stop talking. It was so fun and we shared a lot of common interests. She was so into her philanthropy—bear in mind that they don’t have to talk about that at this point but she felt that it was such an important part of her chapter that she brought it up anyway. That really touched me because the philanthropy was something that I would never have thought of needing to be supported.

Half Baked – This is the only house that I went into thinking that I would love it! By the end of the day I had heard so many good things about this group that I was anxious to go there. I spoke to two actives who didn’t seem to like to talk much whereas I can talk for days. I didn’t over speak, to let you know. But I’d answer her question (not just yes or no) and she’d move to the next topic like a robot. It may have been like this because it was the 12th group of the day (I didn’t include Phi Mu but we’d already gone to the presentation at this point). I did not want to go back to this house.

Cherry Garcia –This is another of the places that we didn’t just talked about the basics. The first active lives in the city near me (I’m a small town girl so we have to drive there to do anything). We were talking like crazy after we realized we had this in common. We also talked about some quirky subjects that really made this chapter stand out to me. I loved it.

Peanut Brittle – At this point, I just remember hating this house. I felt so uncomfortable there.

Chunky Monkey – The last house and to be honest, I was so tired that I can’t remember a thing about it. We had been at it for hours and everyone was just ready to go to their dorms and take a nap. My active looked so dazed. I didn’t really judge them because I knew we all wanted to leave already.

Ranking at the end of the day:
S'mores
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Maple Blondie[/COLOR
Mint Chocolate Chip
Peach Cobbler
Stawberry Cheesecake
Triple Caramel Chunk
Cherry Garcia
Half Baked
Milk&Cookies
Peanut Brittle
Chunky Monkey
Dublin Mudslide
Old 08-16-2011, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Yea!! A UK story.
Wildcass do you rank all the houses at UK at selection time, or just the bottom ones you don't want to return to? I know some of the other SEC schools just have you rank your least favorites.
Wishing you good luck for the rest of the week.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh gosh, I should have put the numbers. We ranked eight #1's and then ranked our bottoms ones as 2, 3, and 4. And thanks so much, I'm waiting to go to my next one right now. (:
Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 AM

Best of luck to you wildcass ~and~

GO BIG BLUE!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcass View Post
Peanut Brittle – At this point, I just remember hating this house. I felt so uncomfortable there.
This is going to drive me crazy. (But do not tell me/us who it is.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
Best of luck to you wildcass ~and~

GO BIG BLUE!
Ditto. And just cause...

GO CATS!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck! Hope to hear more. Let's go Peach Cobbler hahaha
Old 08-16-2011, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I definitely won't be doing that! Every sorority is great but it's not great for every girl. (:
Old 08-16-2011, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Second Round – We could attend 9 chapters at the maximum. I actually got 9 at this point and was pretty shocked. I didn’t have time to write as many details for these so I’m sorry if it’s lacking. I’m trying to remember everything. Today was philanthropy/skit day.

Stawberry Cheesecake – On the first day I had felt like this house was very chill…they were definitely more pumped up today! The skit was adorable and my conversations with the two actives I spoke to weren’t awkward or anything. We talked about more conversational topics than what we had yesterday. I didn’t feel like I was at an interview anymore. I left this house feeling good.
Triple Caramel Chunk – The girls in this group barely talked about their philanthropy and when they did, it was very brief. The active I spoke to blanched when I asked her if they ever went and worked personally with the charity. I had liked the house before so I felt discouraged.

Mint Chocolate Chip – I was double rushed in this house and it completely ruined the chapter for me. It had been my first house the day before and it had gotten me excited for recruitment. The girls were much less peppy today and I felt like they should have been more excited for their skit. I didn’t really care if I got asked back here. I wrote it down as being “alright.”

S'mores – I was in love with the philanthropy for this house and the skit was so adorable! The girl I spoke to the day before had so much passion for the chapter but I spoke to a different girl this day and she was very bland. I asked her if the new pledge class hung out at the house with the girls often and she acted like I was crazy for thinking that you could do that. Once again, I was upset that I didn’t like it as much as the day before.

Peach Cobbler – I was in love with this house! I talked to four more girls (this house was big on bumping, so I wasn’t the only who talked to three or four) and felt so “at home” with them. I’m more of a “guy’s girl” than anything and they were all so much like me. I was laugh-crying by the end of their skit and I was praying that I’d get asked back by these girls!

Milk&Cookies – I hadn’t really wanted to go back here but it was much better than the day before. We were taken through the house and we had a skit—it wasn’t very good in comparison to the others I had seen but you could tell the girls were having fun. At the most I was lukewarm about this chapter.

Chunky Monkey – Everyone I talked to had been invited back to this house and the rumor was that it was low in numbers. Mind you, I say rumor! The conversation I had with the girl was much better than the day before but she didn’t talk about their philanthropy so I was confused because that’s what today was supposed to be about…

Maple Blondie – This was the house I had a rec from and I was excited to go back. The conversations were alright and so was the skit. I had really wanted to fall in love with this house because my friend was in it but I just didn’t feel great leaving it. I had a feeling I wouldn’t be back which was fine with me at that point.

Cherry Garcia – These girls were extremely loud and energetic but I had a gut feeling that I wasn’t their type. I don’t want to say anything rude about any chapter so I’ll just leave it at that.

I can’t find my ranking for this house anywhere! But I knew I only loved two of the houses which were:
Peach Cobbler and Stawberry Cheesecake

I know that it’s crazy and slightly close minded to only like 2 out of 9 but the second round for me was just horrible. Girls were upset about only getting 3 or 4 back whereas I ended up being miserable going to all of these houses and being disappointed. I tried to stay upbeat and open minded but it was a very stressful day for a lot of us.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

It's ok to feel that way. You're tired, overwhelmed and you're still adjusting to college life. Get some rest, eat a good meal and hang in there. :-)
Old 08-17-2011, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaSigKap View Post
It's ok to feel that way. You're tired, overwhelmed and you're still adjusting to college life. Get some rest, eat a good meal and hang in there. :-)
I was so chill on the first day and it's just progressively become more stressful as the week has went on. I'm posting this story a day after each has happened so the third round is over and I'll get my Pref list in a few hours...if I get one. I'm just terrified of not finding a match. :/

But thank you for the advice, I've had to have my mom give me pep talks on all of her breaks at work. Where did my confidence go?! This week is insane.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 3—we could be invited back to 6 houses today. I was invited back to four and cried in my dorm because I felt so rejected…I didn’t realize that everyone in my group had received four and we were all in our rooms! We laughed about that later. (: After a pep talk from my mom and my Gamma Chi, I was ready to get going! I had actually been invited back to my 2 favorites and the “lukewarm” house!!! I should not have been upset about getting four and I felt ridiculous as the day went on and I met PNMs who hadn’t been as lucky as I had been. I was going to join one house, not six after all.

Chunky Monkey – I know that I’ve already talked about feeling uncomfortable here but I started round 3 with a fresh mindset, I just wanted a home! The first girl I talked to had the best personality and she was so passionate about her sisters! I was beginning to feel confident until the next girl came in. I’m going to call her the Horror Rusher. Everyone knows the four B’s – boys, booze, bank accounts, and bitches. Guess who talked about all four with no shame? That’s right, Horror Rusher! Now, I’m sure that later on, booze and boys will play a role in college life, if not sorority life…but you would think that you would pretend it didn’t! I felt SO uncomfortable especially because if I drink, I don’t spread it around. I definitely didn’t want to come back to this house anymore and the other girl (I was being double rushed) had the same look of shock on her face so I didn’t feel like I was the only one!

Milk&Cookies – This house had been a “maybe” on my love/hate list all week. So many girls were in love with it and as I said to a fellow PNM in my Gamma Chi group, I “wanted to be in love with it.” The conversations were fine and the skit was cute but I wasn’t sure how they felt about me or if I even had a chance at going back. The girls were very nice and I left still willing to give it a chance if I were to receive an invitation back.

Stawberry Cheesecake – The skit put on by this chapter was SO funny, all of the PNMs were laughing. My conversations with the two actives I spoke to were alright. Part of me felt like I wasn’t their “type” but they never made me feel awkward and unwanted. There had been a few sororities were there were lulls in the conversation but these ladies knew how to rush…I wish every house had been so talkative! I left this house knowing I would be happy if I got invited back but I would not cry if I did not.

Peach Cobbler - I felt so incredibly at home in this house. I was “rushed” by two people, one of whom I had met on the previous day. I had really funny, interesting conversations with these women. This may sound silly but I actually teared up during their skit. We talked about their non-official philanthropy, it’s just a charity the girls enjoy doing on their own time and I was so touched. Everyone was very sweet and I was happy to be back. I left this house knowing I would be heartbroken if I didn’t get an invite back for Pref. I’m actually writing this as I’m waiting for my Gamma Chi to bring me my list and I’m terrified.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for sharing your story! I hope you find your home!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

wildcass, I am glad you are not writing in real time for anonymity's sake but I have to tell you, It's killing me that this story is 2 days behind! Crossed fingers that you preffed yesterday at somewhere you loved and that you will be wearing a beautiful white dress at bid day today to be with girls you are crazy about!

Go Cats!

Last edited by Pass the Pinot; 08-18-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the well wishes!

Pass the Pinot, I'm trying to update faster but because my username has my name and college in it, I'm trying to be slightly anonymous! And oh yes....Go Big Blue!