GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,538
0 members and 1,538 guests
No Members online

Old 03-18-2001, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Wazzzup with the XFL???

Did any of y'all check out the WWF guy's interview with Bob Costas' on his HBO show?

WTF!?!?! was that all about!!!!

So, I checked out an XFL game and IMHO, the problem with the XFL is:
  • their uniforms are too flashy for a startup league--too much like the NFL's--so it looks like: wannabe-cut from the practice squad-hasbeens-bite off the NFL...

• Then, although I agree with Mr. WWF, that the boys play their hearts out, but being an NFL fan, folks wanna see the big million $$$$ "plays". Don't they have different rules from the NFL??? --change up on the plays, a little...
  • IMHO, I think that they don't have that je ne sais quoi--"Vince Lombardi", "Win one for the Gipper", "Knute Rockne", "Ready for sum football"--Ole'Skool flava that folks vie for in football--"THE UNDERDOG TEAM"--or the team that has no "state-of-the-art" training facilities and they still win the game!!! Too much glitz--none of that "Boilermaker" football--Y'ALL know what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!

• Lastly, if they wanna save this league and outcompete the NFL (which won't ever happen, 'cuz the NFL owners and players would get an act from Congress or have Bush to step in...) they outta consider doing "IRONMAN FOOTBALL"... But you'd probably kill your players before you start... Folks wanna see "blood and guts"... And the exotic dancers they call cheerleaders---they outta do them like the "hoochie coochie" girls like in Black College Football--shake their groove thang a little more... But I guess they cain't shake too much or it'll wreck their boob jobs they all got to get these wacky positions...

Tell me what your take on the XFL...

[This message has been edited by AKA_Monet (edited March 18, 2001).]
Old 03-19-2001, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I hate that stupid camera angel, its like your playing a video game. You know the one, where its like your looking down the field. That and they try to change the rules. It is the same game, and should therefore be played by the same rules. That is what's called being fair. I think they tried to make it sound like it would be top notch right away, instead of them saying, look we're a start up, we're trying to be good, cut us some slack. I think they're biggest problem is though that ratings keeping by half. But a number that keeps dividing by half can never reach zero, so i guess there will always be some one.
Old 03-19-2001, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

It also looks like guys filming those recent football movies rather than a REAL game!!! Like, "Any Given Sunday". They are too, staged WWF. Okay for WWF or maybe Arena Football. But not skerious, roll in the mud, bruiser football folks are tryin' to feel...
Old 03-19-2001, 12:56 AM

The XFL is garbage. They gotta get rid of those stupid wrestling commentators calling the play by plays. Those guys don't know shit.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil_G:
The XFL is garbage. They gotta get rid of those stupid wrestling commentators calling the play by plays. Those guys don't know shit.
LMAO!!! That was hilarious, and you probably didn't mean for it to be, and that's what makes it even funnier. I guess it's so funny to me, because I can't stand commentators, period. They are SO annoying. If they ONLY commented about the plays, cool, but their opinions get on my nerves. Just talk about the game.

About the XFL, I really don't know what to say about that. Any league that tries to up their popularity with lap dances.... In the words of old school Keith Sweat, "Somethin' somethin', somethin' somethin' just ain't right."
Old 03-19-2001, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
The XFL's rules changes aren't even that 'revolutionary' or whatever - quite a few are used in the Canadian Football League, and you don't see audiences beating down the door to watch that one either (and it's far better football than the XFL . . . ). In my opinion, regardless of the crappy camera angles, assbag announcers, and moronic in-game interview segments, I'd think about watching it anyway if it was better football - give me the sport, not distractions from the game. not that i'm bitter . . .

Rob
Old 03-19-2001, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to pirate00 Send a message via Yahoo to pirate00
XFL Quote of the Week:
"He hate me"
Old 03-19-2001, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Vince McMahon's behavior on HBO was pure garbage. Several times he looked as if he wanted to physically attack Bob Costas. I've seen him conduct himself more professionally in other interviews. But that was pure ****. As for the XFL, the league is a startup, the quality of gameplay is not strong and the announcers suck. The camera angles are annoying and where the hell are these bonecrushing hits??? No fair catch--they didn't mention that players get a 5 yard halo...This can't compete with the CFL or the Arena League.
Old 03-19-2001, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

I dunno 'bout the XFL's financing, but NBC is losing a grip of $$$ airing these shows.

Maybe technology is not upto the level that Vince McMahon wants it to air his league... It seems from the Costas interview, he wanted the "fans" to be in the middle of the game, as if they're playing it themselves--kinda like virtually reality from "The Matrix"...

They outta have the players do those "Jackie Chan" movements they do on those shows... Did anyone see Aaliyah and Jet Li in "Romeo Must Die" and when he played football with the bruhs? Folks seem to like it when he did is Kung Fu action...

Then, I really haven't taken a look at the players themselves, but the halftime locker room filming--okay if you're gonna do that for "showtime" effect, then you outta have the head coach cursin' the players out if they are losing a game, kinda like Jerry Springer Show. Hell, Vince outta have Jerry Springer be a commentator for the game!!! If Monday Nite Football has Dennis Miller, the what's the difference... It be for more interesting watching. Folks like that crazy kinda stuff on TV...

Then, do the sell BEER at these games? Do the stadiums have ABC licenses? If not, then that's why fans aren't coming!!!

Oh well...

[This message has been edited by AKA_Monet (edited March 19, 2001).]
Old 03-19-2001, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

You know who's benefitting the most from the XFL? Stand-up comedians. The XFL has given them a GOLDMINE of material! Observe:

What do you get when you put 32 XFL fans in the same room?
A full set of teeth.
Old 03-19-2001, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alumnus who cares:
You know who's benefitting the most from the XFL? Stand-up comedians. The XFL has given them a GOLDMINE of material! Observe:

What do you get when you put 32 XFL fans in the same room?
A full set of teeth.
hahahahhah, that's so true. It seems Conan O'Brien is always making fun of the XFL. He even had a survivor parody to see which viewer would be the last left watching.

[This message has been edited by Lil_G (edited March 19, 2001).]
Old 03-20-2001, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally posted by AKA_Monet:
Then, do the sell BEER at these games? Do the stadiums have ABC licenses? If not, then that's why fans aren't coming!!!

[This message has been edited by AKA_Monet (edited March 19, 2001).][/B]
actually, i think it's like NASCAR - you're allowed to bring in coolers and junk. So basically it's as much beer as you can carry it - i think the natural ice-to-molson ratio is around 120,000 to 1 . . . not for sure on the numbers though
Old 03-20-2001, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC:
actually, i think it's like NASCAR - you're allowed to bring in coolers and junk. So basically it's as much beer as you can carry it - i think the natural ice-to-molson ratio is around 120,000 to 1 . . . not for sure on the numbers though
LOL

Old 03-21-2001, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC:
LOL, too!
Old 05-11-2001, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Bringing this one back to the top.
A few thoughts on the XFL's demise: I watched the first game, lost a heckuva lot of interest afterward.
I know everyone talks about poor-quality football, lowlife announcers and declasse cheerleaders. That didn't kill it. I think it had to do with the fact that stockholders were involved. And in this market there's no tolerance for losing $$$$.