GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,559
1 members and 1,558 guests
KDKells

Old 10-28-2010, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

ITT we talk/brag/complain about our commute.

I have a 30 minute commute right now but TXDOT is starting a HUGE 2 year project on the freeway soon and I'm NOT looking forward to the mess/hassle of construction.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Try driving in DFW during rush hour lol

I live somewhat close to one major office/entertainment area in DFW, drive on 3 tollways, and work in another major business district (where a large chunk of HQs are located). Bleh.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I work and live in the same city.... and love it!!
All I have to do is drive streets to and from work which can be up to 30 min, but an easy drive. I even ride my bike to work sometimes.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I get on the highway at the 42nd worst bottleneck inthe country, according to the people who keep up with this stuff.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Try driving in DFW during rush hour lol

I live somewhat close to one major office/entertainment area in DFW, drive on 3 tollways, and work in another major business district (where a large chunk of HQs are located). Bleh.
I used to live and commute in the DC area so take that! UGH, El Paso has 800,000 people driving on a road system designed for maybe 300,000.....
Old 10-28-2010, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

My best commute ever was when we lived in Nashville. My husband and I both worked at the Vanderbilt Medical Center and we lived only 1/2 mile away. Walked to work for three straight years. Good times. It was a nice change from commuting in Dallas, including one of the toll roads referenced by K_S above.

Now my commute is just down the hall to the kids' rooms.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
I used to live and commute in the DC area so take that! UGH, El Paso has 800,000 people driving on a road system designed for maybe 300,000.....
Yeah, DFW's highway system is very good, but is not designed to hold the ~6.5 million residents + visitors. It's not as bad as Austin, but it's still a hassle driving through all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
My best commute ever was when we lived in Nashville. My husband and I both worked at the Vanderbilt Medical Center and we lived only 1/2 mile away. Walked to work for three straight years. Good times. It was a nice change from commuting in Dallas, including one of the toll roads referenced by K_S above.
I used to work across from Northpark, but even then, I rarely got caught in "bad" traffic. It usually took me ~20-25 minutes to get from Irving/Las Colinas to that area.

Now I have to take 161 to 190 to the Tollway (). I know the tollroads have less congestion than the freeways, so I can't imagine making that drive on the freeways (Someone suggested that I take Loop 12 to 35 to 635 to Preston or 75. I almost spit on that person).

Quote:
Now my commute is just down the hall to the kids' rooms.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

2.9 miles. under 10 minutes.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Now I have to take 161 to 190 to the Tollway (). I know the tollroads have less congestion than the freeways, so I can't imagine making that drive on the freeways (Someone suggested that I take Loop 12 to 35 to 635 to Preston or 75. I almost spit on that person).

That person was smokin' some serious crack.

My commute was Beltline/Tollway initially to Methodist and later to Parkland. Not too much traffic compared to other freeways, however, if there was ever a serious accident on the Tollway there wasn't really another option to get to work. I was too far from Central or 35 so I just chose to pay to sit in traffic.

Halloween night was always the worst. All those Plano/Allen peeps going home early (I got off work at 4:30) to Trick or Treat. Could take up to 2 hours some years.

/hijack- you following the World Series? I literally had tears after game 6 and again last night as the line-ups were read. Can take this to "What do you feel like saying right now" thread so as not to derail this one...
Old 10-28-2010, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Two minutes!

But I used to live in Northern Virginia, so I sympathize.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I turn left twice and arrive in under 5 minutes. Love it.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
That person was smokin' some serious crack.

My commute was Beltline/Tollway initially to Methodist and later to Parkland. Not too much traffic compared to other freeways, however, if there was ever a serious accident on the Tollway there wasn't really another option to get to work. I was too far from Central or 35 so I just chose to pay to sit in traffic.

Halloween night was always the worst. All those Plano/Allen peeps going home early (I got off work at 4:30) to Trick or Treat. Could take up to 2 hours some years.

/hijack- you following the World Series? I literally had tears after game 6 and again last night as the line-ups were read. Can take this to "What do you feel like saying right now" thread so as not to derail this one...
Yea, as soon as my lease is up, I'll be moving to Addison or Far North Dallas. I can't deal with all the "extra" on 190 and the Tollway.

I chuckled when you said "if" there's an accident lol

/hijack - It's funny that you bring that up. A couple of close frat brothers and friends live in Mansfield and suggested that we meet at BWW for the game.

I left work (Tollway and Legacy) early to "beat traffic" -- ha! It literally took me 2 hours to get to Mansfield. I couldn't believe how backed up Irving and Grand Prairie were going south. I knew it would be crazy going toward the Ballpark, but it was madness all around West Dallas/East Tarrant Counties.

BWW in Mansfield was PACKED and the energy was incredible.

ETA: This thread also reminded me of something a friend told me. Before living in DFW, when you see and accident, you think "Oh, my goodness. I hope everyone's OK!" After living here for a while, that changes to "Dammit, this person is screwing up traffic!" Lol

Last edited by knight_shadow; 10-28-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone have a commute that is over an hour? How does it work for you and do you get used to it? If I get the transfer I'm hoping for I will end up with a 50 minute drive (w/ no traffic) to/from work.

I used to work with a guy who had a 2 1/2 hour commute ( He lives in Grand Rapids but works in metro Detroit). He ended up renting a room in town and would just go home on the weekends.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Used to have a 5 minute commute. Lived downtown, worked about 10 blocks away. Now, since I've moved to the 'burbs, its' only about 20 minutes.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-28-2010, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

My commute is 5 minutes or less.