GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,176
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,398
2 members and 1,396 guests
John, naraht

Old 01-16-2008, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Spring 2008 Recruitment Story!

So I've been browsing the recruitment stories on here and I thought it would be fun to post my own! I'm at a small school and we have four chapters. I'm going to call them after the seasons: Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter.

Our first round was yesterday, and it was fun but exhausting. We spent about 45 minutes at each sorority and also had the opportunity to speak with the Panhellenic board about any questions we had. We only have three rounds here; you visit all four the first night, two or three the next night, and one or two on pref night. Round two is tomorrow night.

I visited Winter first yesterday, and it was a little intimidating at first. The girl who grabbed me didn't really say anything to me, and it felt like we were waiting for something- meanwhile, everyone else was talking. They made a presentation a few minutes later and she talked more after that. She seemed a little uncomfortable, and the other girls I spoke with were friendlier and easier to talk to, but they all had to move on. Overall I thought they were nice, but I feel like I didn't make the most fantastic impression since conversation was awkward and a little forced.

The next one I visited was Summer. I felt really comfortable with them and everyone I spoke with was friendly and engaging. There is something about this chapter that really appeals to me, and everyone I spoke with seemed really genuine and interested. It was a lot less awkward there, and the conversations didn't seem forced. The only thing I didn't really like was that they seemed a little more subdued, but it could have just been the day.

I visited Spring after that, and I really liked the atmosphere there. Again the girl who first grabbed me didn't really talk that much- conversation was a little awkward- but the other girls I spoke with were really friendly and engaging and the entire atmosphere there was really upbeat and fun. Their skit was cute and they were more forthcoming with things about their sorority and sisterhood than the previous two as topics for conversation. I really enjoyed the feel, but again, I'm worried that I didn't make the best impression because the girl I spoke with for the most part seemed a little disinterested.

Autumn was last and I loved the girls I spoke with here. Even though we'd been going for four hours they were really energetic and engaging and so easy to talk to. They also seemed to be great friends and were all about showing me around, looking at the scrapbooks, telling stories etc. For some reason though, I didn't really like the atmosphere there. I don't know why I shouldn't, because they all seemed great and really happy there, but something just didn't seem right. This was also the chapter I liked least in the fall informal events.

Round two is tomorrow night, and I should hear back sometime tomorrow about where I will be going. We were asked to rank the sorority we liked least, and I'm feeling like I might have made a poor choice... but I suppose I'll see. I have some insecurity issues and I'm kind of worried about being dropped by all the chapters.. but I am doing my best to be outgoing and be myself! I'm looking forward to tomorrow night and hopefully all goes well =)
Old 01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm cheering for Winter and Autumn!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm going with Autumn and Summer!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck!

Also, a note about conversation: Keep in mind that sorority members get nervous too, especially if it's their first time doing formal recruittment as a sister! So if someone is a tad shy or awkward, it may be because they are new to this.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-16-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I just got the invitations to tonight's parties and I was a little surprised. I'm going back to Summer and Autumn, and Autumn is the one I ranked lowest on my card (you just rank one that you'd prefer not to return to). Maybe this is a good second chance, though; I've been doubting my decision since then and I'm glad I have another opportunity. I was a little disappointed to be dropped by Spring but I know I probably wouldn't have been the best fit there. I'm excited for tonight!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned

good luck!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

good luck tonight!!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for all the well wishes!

I think tonight went fairly well. Most girls went to 3 parties, but there were some of us that only went back to one or two. I went back to Summer and Autumn.

Summer: Again, I felt really comfortable with these girls. I had a lot in common with most of the people I spoke with and they were really friendly and easy to talk to. I also fell in love with their philanthropy, and I can tell that they are all enthusiastic about it. This chapter doesn't have as good of a reputation on campus as some of the others, but I didn't really see that, and I was really comfortable with the girls there.

Autumn: I like this group more every time I see them. The first time I saw them, at a fall informal event, I wasn't very impressed, but I really liked the girls I spoke with at the last night and although I ranked them as the group I did not want to return to, it was a decision I regretted for the next two days. I was relieved to see that I still got invited back. I feel like I had better conversations last time- I think I was too quiet tonight and although I learned a lot about their sorority, I'm not sure that I came across as animated and interested- which is a shame as I really like them. I really hope I made a good enough impression.

Pref night is tomorrow night, so I should hear back sometime before then. I really like both of these groups, so I've got my fingers crossed that things go well. It's so hard to wait to hear!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Glad to see that things are going well, that you like both of your remaining chapters! Good luck tomorrow!
Old 01-19-2008, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I never imagined recruitment would turn out this way. I entered recruitment with a very casual attitude, but so much has changed since just four days ago. Tonight was very emotional and many tears were shed; I'm still in shock at what I'm feeling.

Tonight was pref, and we could be invited to a max of 2 chapters. One of my friends was cut by all of them, as were a number of other people. This was surprising to me since our school isn't necessarily very competitive in terms of recruitment. I retuned to Summer and Autumn, both of the chapters I visited last night, and I was relieved to be asked back by both of them.

I went to Summer first. The lights were really dim there and as we came in, we were each given a flower and paired off with a sister (just like the previous nights). I didn't know this girl, but we chatted for a few minutes until girls started coming out with little desserts (so amazing by the way) and drinks. They were clearly all looking for specific people and the girl who came to me is one I've known through the past semester through extracurriculars. It was nice to get to speak with her- we hadn't really spoken at all during recruitment since we already knew each other. We were talking with a group of people, and at some point the rest of them left and went off to another side of the room. She started to tell me how much she had enjoyed getting to know me and how she wished we had gotten to spend more time together, how I'd kept her connected to things.. it's hard to explain what she was saying but it touched me so much. She started to cry and they were starting their ceremony, and I just didn't know how to react. The ceremony was beautiful, with singing and the sisters speaking about what the sorority meant to them. I spoke with her a little more after the ceremony ended, before it was time to leave. I really didn't know what to say and I realized it was going to be a very difficult decision.

At Autumn, we were immediately matched up with the sister who was preffing us. I was glad to see that the girl I was with was the one I had clicked so well with two nights ago. We were welcomed and chatted for a while before the ceremony began. We were lined up with the sister we were with behind us, and they went around the circle and spoke about what each of us would bring to Autumn and then lit a candle. After that was finished, they addressed us as a group and then the sisters blew out our candles. Their ceremony was so sweet and very individual. I was so torn after this.

I must have sat for about a half an hour trying to decide what to put on my bid card. There were so many things factoring into my decision, and I NEVER dreamed it would be this difficult. I went in tonight expecting to pref Autumn and maybe even suicide- but I just couldn't make a decision. Any decision I made seemed to carry so much weight, and I just couldn't bear to put either of the chapters second. I contemplated putting nothing on my bid card, but I couldn't bring myself to do that either. In the end, I put Summer first and Autumn second, then handed in my bid card before I could change my mind and got out of there. I spent a long time talking to my friends afterward- I was really emotional. I don't know if I made the right choice... I suppose I'll find out tomorrow. I really thought tonight would be visiting two chapters and signing my bid card without much deliberation... instead it was very confusing, very emotional and sprinkled with tears. I really hope I made the right choice.

Tomorrow I'll get a call around 9am if I didn't get a bid; otherwise, one of the chapters will come to my room around 10-11am. I'm both excited and really nervous for tomorrow... I've never doubted myself this much on a decision before!
Old 01-19-2008, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Ah! Yeah, recruitment can be SO emotional! Our president gave a small speech at our last night (yesterday), and I totally made the "cry face" as we call it. No tears were shed on my part, but almost!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Usually "I never imagined recruitment would turn out this way" is followed with "I got cut from all my houses" so I am so glad this is not how you continued your story!!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Today was bid day... I woke up still wondering about my choice and what was going to happen, and waiting in my room this morning was so nerve-wracking (my recruitment counselor was supposed to call, but no one on my floor got calls). I was in my friend's room across the hall when I heard singing and chanting and I bolted back to my room.. only to have my door nearly broken down by the lovely ladies of SUMMER! Otherwise known as...

ALPHA DELTA PI!
Old 01-19-2008, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you and Alpha Delta Pi! Enjoy your Alpha period! ~*~