Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,191
4 members and 1,187 guests
John, LaneSig, Phrozen Sands, PrettyBoy

Old 03-11-2002, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Sports-Themed Fundraiser?

Has anyone here had any experience with planning a sports-themed fundraiser? I'm especially interested in speaking with graduate or alumni/alumnae members, but if you've had any luck with a tournament as a fundraiser, feel free to PM me or post your responses here.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Our first philanthropy event was a football tournement. The entry fee was $100 per team. It was relatively easy because only a few of us had to ref. You can also write rules that make it fair when women's teams enter against men's teams. 15-yard downs, etc..

LHT
Kevin Taylor
Mu Tau 5
University of Central Oklahoma
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-12-2002, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Both of our philanthropy events are sports-related. In the fall we organize Anchorsplash which is a swimming event. It takes a lot of planning....we need a pool along with lifeguards, security, judges, teams....etc. In the spring we organize Tee-Off which is a golf outing on a local golf course. You obviously need the golf course, tee times, carts, food, teams...etc. Every event is so much fun. We just started to plan for Tee-Off recently and we hoping that it is a bigger thing than what it has been in the past....
Old 03-12-2002, 04:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Kevin & Hannah -

Thanks so much for your replies. Were most of the people who entered your respective tourneys members of GLOs, or did people from the larger community participate as well?
Old 03-12-2002, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Anchorsplash is predominantly all greek participation while Tee-Off is more community because it is an event where we can get the greek system involved and also friends and family of our members.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks so much for your replies. Were most of the people who entered your respective tourneys members of GLOs, or did people from the larger community participate as well?
Actually, yes. We had teams from the BSU (Baptist Student Union) enter and our school's football team entered as well. I was a little upset at that because they put "Kappa Slappa Ho" on their trophy when they won.. I think there were some other GDI teams but I'm not certain.

LHT
Kevin Taylor
MT 5
University of Central Oklahoma
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-12-2002, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Slappa Ho...

Still, it's good to know that you've had success with getting the community involved as well. This gives me hope! Thanks you two!
Old 04-25-2002, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Bear baiting

Here at GSU, we did a "Bear Baiting" theme. It went on for 12 hours under the Rotunda on campus. We'd take turns dressing in a bear costume. A chain would be attached from our necks to a post and people could pay to fight the bear. They'd have two minutes to do their worst. We had this one guy, Spanky, that just wouldn't go down. At a dollar a pop, we made about $500, easily.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chscrew144
road race

Lots of fraternities have golf tournaments i think but what about a Road Race? Get local running clubs as well as HS XC teams and University XC teams involved! City wide publicity as well as some TV coverage of how fraternities help the communities and charge an entry fee of like 10, 15 bucks or something but have a lil prize or something at the end of rthe winners or the medallists. You could have both women and men compete.

Nardin Academy in Buffalo does a fundraiser similar to this which is their annual "erg athon" which pretty much every HS rower at my club has to do and there are several hundred of them. Masters rowers i think compete as well..

Great ways to get in shape too!