GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,148
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, Mr. Doom
» Online Users: 1,399
1 members and 1,398 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Can I Ask This?

I've heard it referenced in threads and I've done searches on GC and Google in general but what makes Arkansas such a "special snowflake", why are organizations so cautious to colonize there and what's the story with Theta?

Forgive me if this whole thread is a giant faux paux, but years of curiosity have gotten the best.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
I've heard it referenced in threads and I've done searches on GC and Google in general but what makes Arkansas such a "special snowflake", why are organizations so cautious to colonize there and what's the story with Theta?

Forgive me if this whole thread is a giant faux paux, but years of curiosity have gotten the best.
The title of this thread makes me chuckle, as you asked the question anyway.. obviously.. otherwise, there wouldn't have been a thread to create.

Anyway, carry on...

@~/~~~~
Old 08-27-2013, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
The title of this thread makes me chuckle, as you asked the question anyway.. obviously.. otherwise, there wouldn't have been a thread to create.

Anyway, carry on...
Yes, I realize that. A bit pointless of a title, but there was no way real way to ask without um asking I guess?
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

It's expensive to colonize. Housing costs over $5 million. You have to recruit nearly 400 women. The tiers are almost set in stone. There is no land to build on. That being said, there is TONS of interest in Greek life as you can tell. If you fail, that's a huge loss.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 08-27-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
It's expensive to colonize. Housing costs over $5 million. You have to recruit nearly 400 women. The tiers are almost set in stone. There is no land to build on. That being said, their is TONS of interest in Greek life as you can tell. If you fail, that's a huge loss.
But don't we always say that with NM classes over 100 tiers can change from year to year, or is that just being idealistic? If colonizing is working at other big schools (Alabama) why is Arkansas so "extra" difficult?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

To quote Tevye, "TRADITION!"

The only thing that has changed at Arkansas since I was there is that 3 groups have folded. They were struggling back in the day and made valiant efforts but a major reason they folded was that girls would drop if they didn't get the biggies. Housing was another one, their houses just didn't compare.

People talk about these massive pledge classes changing the SEC sororities but they really haven't changed perceived tiers.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Please explain: what exactly do you mean by "what's the story with Theta?" I'm not aware of any Arkansas story. You brought it up, so enlighten me and the rest of the readership.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-27-2013, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
But don't we always say that with NM classes over 100 tiers can change from year to year, or is that just being idealistic? If colonizing is working at other big schools (Alabama) why is Arkansas so "extra" difficult?
Colonization works about as well at other big schools. Land is a little easier to come by at Bama. They did have two groups jump at Arkansas last year, so it's not as if NO one will try. LSU is similar. They opened and only ONE group applied to colonize. Why? Poor housing options and same issues as Arkansas. Their "tiers" are a little more fluid but hardly.

AOII

Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Please explain: what exactly do you mean by "what's the story with Theta?" I'm not aware of any Arkansas story. You brought it up, so enlighten me and the rest of the readership.
I miss your name being AzTheta

AOII

Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

At Alabama, the University owns the land, rents it to the HC at a pittance ($1) and provides the bond money to loan to them to build. None of that is available at Arkansas.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
I can't find where I read it, it had to have been back when orgs were presenting for extension, but I read more than one post that hinted that it would be a long time before Theta ever considered going back to Arkansas given when they left and then something about ill feelings (but I'm not saying those were the terms used) in Fayetville. I really wish I could find the thread.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd add that although Bama might be super competitive and every other descriptor that has been used on this site. The community seems to have a "we'd rather be Greek and whatever tier than not Greek at all" attitude and that is awesome. Some other traditional communities mentioned in this thread might not have made the leap mentally yet.

Hopefully in time this will change in some of these traditional communities. It might not. If the Arkansas administration plans to be successful adding three more groups as published, something's got to change even a little. Otherwise what group would want to risk that kind of cash? The Panhellenic seems to be giving it their best so the next few years will be exciting and interesting.

For LSU, in addition to lack of housing options, I heard the culture of high risk behavior was a concern of many who checked things out last year. Plenty of groups went to the exploratory visit to check things out. Hats off to Alpha Phi for throwing their hat in the ring. I'm sure many are watching to see how things unfold. Best of luck to them!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can't find where I read it, it had to have been back when orgs were presenting for extension, but I read more than one post that hinted that it would be a long time before Theta ever considered going back to Arkansas given when they left and then something about ill feelings (but I'm not saying those were the terms used) in Fayetville. I really wish I could find the thread.
It doesn't matter. I remember that comment and its just the adult version of tent talk that is not only damaging, but makes things so much worse for any community. Theta is an awesome org, any campus would be lucky to have them as a guest. The way their leadership makes decisions about expansion is surely part of their larger strategic plan and that's good enough for me.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm...I haven't heard about high risk behavior at LSU, and I'm very familiar with the campus and with our exploratory team's assessment. Interesting. LSU can have a "party school" rap, but no more than many big football schools.

AOII

Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless there's a meth problem going on (which I doubt), it can't be any more high risk than at any other school. Unfortunately, there will be drinking to excess and other undesirable behavior in all but the absolutely most conservative schools. And it couldn't be hazing problems because if it was well enough known to be KNOWN, then all the nationals there would say screw the success of these chapters and start pulling charters. So my vote is for rumor and innuendo.

I think it was more concern for superstition (the Alpha sorority curse) and girls not being willing to pledge because of that kind of silliness that made the sororities take pause. When Alpha Phi does well, which of course they will, then others will be more willing to take the plunge. Much like I'm sure there are several sororities ready to take the plunge once this recent experiment at Arkansas works itself out.