Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,160
1 members and 1,159 guests
John

Old 07-30-2004, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Being an advisor--how soon is too soon?

I am considering becoming an advisor for the chapter at my graduate school. It's a two-year commitment. I'm only a little more than a year out of school, but I don't know any of the women in the chapter now, so it's not as if I was ever partying with them. Also, I'm worried about the time commitment involved in being an advisor. It's a smallish chapter without a house, so it's not as bad as other chapters.

Could anyone tell me what sorts of things they experienced as an advisor, and if they'd juggle it with graduate school (I'm in a Masters program), or at such a young age. I'd like to become more involved...and this seems to be a good way.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it depends on your chapter. DG requires their advisors to be out of school for 3 years before taking on an advisory role.

I don't think that anytime is too soon to start helping a chapter (yours or another). I am helping my chapter (kind of as a "co-advisor" but obviously I can't be called one yet) with recruitment and I've only been out for a semester. But since I was the last member to have VP Membership before our current one, they thought that it would be nice to have me around.

If it ends up that you can't fully become an advisor, at least help out as much as you can or even find someone to "co-advise" with so at least you'll basically have training to do it on your own in the future.

Good Luck!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

the time commitment will

depend on the advisor position. i am general advisor and it takes up a lot of my time. i was ritual advisor to another chapter when i lived in oklahoma and it onlyrequired a little of my time, and only at certain times of the year. positions advising an executive council office will be more time consuming than those advising what we call program council positions(those appointed positions such as sisterhood, fundraising, social, standards,etc.) all are important positions and benefit from having an advisor. i love being an advisor and wouldn't trade it for anything-i am in my 40's, married, have two teenagers, a job, volunteer at both my childrens schools and am active in my alumnae chapter. i am not a super woman, lots of other women do what i do. i am just a pretty good time manager. good luck with grad school and with your chapter.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Unregistered-

Ditto on what FSUZeta said. It depends on what office you'll be advising. If you're Recruitment or Member Development (or whatever you guys call them) advisor, then you'll probably have to put in the extra time to attend chapter/committee meetings.

I became an advisor only 2 years after going alum, even though AGD asks us to wait 4-5 years just so there isn't any conflict of interest you might have with girls who were in chapter at the time you were in it. Since you're at a different school now, it won't be a problem for you.

I was Campus Relations advisor, held two part time jobs and went to graduate school part time, and it wasn't that big of a problem for me because all I was required to do was attend monthly EC and random meetings here and there.

Congrats for wanting to be more involved with your org!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll echo Sister Sandy

Your duties will depend on your officer's. I don't know about other orgs but AGD has several teams which can be 3-4 officers, including the EC officer.

Finance is definitely time-dependant!!

My chapter prefers to have advisors who have been out of school 3 years. It can be less depending on the urgency and whether the advisor attended school there.

It depends on what the overall advisors v officers/members relationships are. Some collegiates don't like "outsiders" while other say "come on!!!"

Don't forget to consider how demanding your own course work will be....and your "private" life, lol.

Maybe you could offer to help out an official advisor to see how things work ot.

It's a very good way to feel old and young at the same time!!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZTAMich
A sister who graduated in 2001 was back in the fall of 2002 to be an advisor. She hadn't been that vocal as a collegiate, from what I remember at least, and only about 12 sisters were in the chapter at the same time as she was so it was ok, no real conflict of intrest. She was our ritual advisor I think. Now there are more younger alumnae coming out for the alumnae chapter near our school so she's getting more recent grads involved which is really good. I think it all depends on the position as others have said and how much you can give, time wise and what not. I think you'd be a great advisor!
Old 07-30-2004, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shima-Mizu
One of my sisters who just graduated this past May will be starting as an advisor this fall at some other school.... where I think she may be doing graduate work as well, though I can't remember.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa prefers that a member be out of school a minimum of two years before she takes on an advisory role but that can be waived by a PDC if the need at a chapter is strong enough.

I became an adviser to the Education chair right out of college to a different chapter than my own. That position didn't require much time--monthly meetings and the occasional attendance at chapter meetings. Two years ago I added Marshal to my adviser list and last year I became the Advisory Board Chair in addition to the two offices I continue to advise. That position obviously takes up more of my time as I am the one in charge of the entire AB and I'm the one who has to plan the meetings, send out an agenda and meeting minutes, keep in contact with our Headquarters and make sure everyone is informed on what's going on with the chapter and the fraternity.

I live 30 minutes away from the chapter I advise, so that also takes more of my time than if I were actually living in the city, but it hasn't been much of a problem for me. And there are times when I know ladies won't be able to make it to every meeting. As long as the head of the Advisory Board keeps everyone informed and up-to-date about what's going on, you should be fine. We have a number of advisors who are currently in school either obtaining their Master's or Doctorate and they haven't had many issues with their time management and role as an adviser.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Re: Being an advisor--how soon is too soon?

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I am considering becoming an advisor for the chapter at my graduate school. It's a two-year commitment. I'm only a little more than a year out of school, but I don't know any of the women in the chapter now, so it's not as if I was ever partying with them. Also, I'm worried about the time commitment involved in being an advisor. It's a smallish chapter without a house, so it's not as bad as other chapters.

Could anyone tell me what sorts of things they experienced as an advisor, and if they'd juggle it with graduate school (I'm in a Masters program), or at such a young age. I'd like to become more involved...and this seems to be a good way.
Refresh my memory are you a Phi Mu?

Appointment as a chapter adviser or advisory council member requires National Council approval.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
I just became a chapter advisor with only two weeks left in my graduate program. If the opportunity had presented itself any earlier, I would have turned it down. Graduate school is a tremendous time suck. I don't know what your program/specialty is, but if you're a full-time graduate student, you can probably expect to put in something like 30-40 hours a week on reading and assignments alone.

There will be other opportunities for you to take on a more involved role as an alumna, but for now, concentrate on your studies.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
I waited just under two years before I became an adviser at the chapter where I was a member. While I don't know if the two year period is required, I think it's definetely a good idea if you're going to be advising at the same campus. It gave me time to gain some perspective. I was active the fall of my fifth year, but I was very busy so I never got to know the incoming freshmen that well. So, this past school year I only really knew the senior class (which was very small) and a few of the juniors.

Since you're on a different campus and as long as the proper channels of your organization are fine with it, I don't think there should be a problem. One of the advisers on our board, she's been a member for at least five years is now going back to school to get her PhD and she's still able to work advising into her schedule. Another one of the former advisers was in Vet School and advised for two years. So I think that it's entirely possible to balance things out.

Do you know which position you would be advising? I think that's definetely something to take into consideration.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm an AXO--I don't know if we have a statute of limitations on when we can begin advising. All I know is that the chapter is without an advisor and usually is--it's hard to get people to commit to being so active. I know what that's like, because my chapter only had an advisor for my freshman and part of my sophomore year.

I'm in my second year of a Master's program, so I'm pretty familiar with the strains on my time. This year will be a lot more laid back than last, which is the only reason I'm considering it. (It was not unheard of for first-years to put in 60-70 hours a week towards schoolwork!) This chapter is a lot like mine in terms of circumstances and demographics. Also, I figure that I'm close--no commuting involved except a walk across campus.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm going to contact someone regarding what positions are needed.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Whistlin Dixie
I am currently the membership advisor while in my second year of grad school. I have to warn it is a difficult position. I do know some women who are currently active in the chapter, which is sometimes great and sometimes hard. I would suggest taking a position on the advisory board before becoming the main chapter advisor. With the demands of grad school, you may not be able to give all you would like at times. All in all being an advisor is a great learning experience! Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2004, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi usually requires you to be out of school for a certain number of years as well to keep the distinct lines between the advisor and hte chapter members.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to aoiikristi
In AOII, you have to have been out of school for at least a year before you can advise.
I became an adviser about 1 1/2 yrs. after graduation, but it was not for my own chapter--that helped, I think I would have been a lot more biased had it been my own chapter.
I did, however, recruit some advisers that had only been out for a year from that chapter, and I did it because the chapter desperately needed advisers and they were willing. I tried to put them in positions where the officer they were advising was not someone who had been in the chapter when they were there.
Every now and then there were issues that came up, but I don't think having them out of school for any longer would have made a big difference.