Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,071
6 members and 1,065 guests
Cookiez17, KDKells, Xidelt

Old 06-23-2007, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

How many people are in your alumnae group?

Hello,

I am in the process of starting a new alumnae chapter and I am wanting to gage the average size that we should aim for.

Also, any suggestions on what would attract you to an alumnae group would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jesidz
Old 06-23-2007, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I think you should aim for as many alums as possible. Why aim for 50 if you could get 100 alums interested and involved?

I like alum chapters that have women around the same age as myself first and foremost. From there, it's nice to see events that look fun as well as some collegiate support.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

We are of course aiming for as many alumnae as possible, but I am looking for an average size to compare to. We already have around 30 women who are helping to get it started so we are off to a good start but I want a goal.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Alum Group

I am a member of a brand new Alum club for my area. We have about ten fabulous ladies. It's not quantity of members, but quality!!
Old 06-23-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesidz View Post
Hello,

I am in the process of starting a new alumnae chapter and I am wanting to gage the average size that we should aim for.

Also, any suggestions on what would attract you to an alumnae group would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jesidz
As far as the absolute MINIMUM size to charter a new alum chapter - either 10 or triple the amount of officers required, whichever is higher. Before you have that number as a firm commitment, don't even think about sending in your paperwork to charter. Some groups set the "minimum" number way too low and then everyone is stuck with an office, when all they wanted was to get re-involved as an alum SLOWLY. They end up quitting in frustration and the alum chapter has achieved the opposite of what it set out to do.

I would look for a mixed group of women - that is, women from all different collegiate chapters. I would also look for a group that's doing a variiety of things. If their "chapter meetings" consist of getting together and trying to hock Arbonne or something on a regular basis, I wouldn't want to get involved.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

While the sky is the limit of course, you need between 15-20. Officer Ships (3-4) of course and those that can attend on different occasions.

It can grow of course from there and the more fun the better it will be attended and the more you can get done.

Admire you for doing a huge task, but like in College, it is also rewarding when it proves out!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-24-2007, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Zeta does not have a minimum number required. Right now we are between 30-35 with our first big meeting so we are hoping for a great turnout!
Old 06-24-2007, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds like 30-35 is fantastic. I don't really think there's an average size for an alumnae chapter. What matters more is 1) people pay their dues and 2) they're actually active in the group. Good Luck!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say that the goal size would depend greatly on how many DZ alumnae are in your area (that is, what your total audience is). . .

good luck, and thanks for your efforts on behalf of alumnae.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I was just going to ask what area you are in... I am in the NYC metro area and we have about 100 women. Cliche, but--shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you could still hit a star. Thirty is an excellent start!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We just started an alumnae group in our area and we have no more than 30 members at this time. It sounds like you are doing great!! We started with six women who wanted to get together more often and have grown a little since. I think the most important part is that you have people who want to be involved and are interested in what activities you have planned.

good luck!

"...to be womanly always; to be discouraged never..."

Last edited by Cutie_Hootie; 09-07-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Depends on the number of alumnae in your area. There are about 3000 in the greater Seattle area but only about 100 in the Anchorage area where I'm working with a young woman.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

We have around 20, but only half of that number go to meetings. However, every member of our chapter does several service events each year, some do several a month.

Our meetings are once a month during the "school year", plus group and individual service events. In addition, after meetings and on our own time, we do projects (make shawls and "comfort" teddy bears for cancer patients. We also collect items for organizations (box tops, yogurt tops, etc.) on an ongoing basis.

What I have realized, as an alum, that Gamma Sig is more part of who we are than what we do.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We are working with about 250 alumnae in the area. There is another alumnae chapter that is mostly older alumnae and we were approached by our AAD about starting a chapter focused on younger alums who aren't involved anywhere else...

Our first meeting was last night and we now have 26 official members. I think we are going to aim for 75 members!
Old 06-29-2007, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to give an idea, we have an Alumni do a yearly thing called "Pierce Stock".

He and his wife do it at their home.

They do the meat and beer, everyone else brings side dishes and as a Single Dude, I bring different flavor chips.!

All food is nummy and a Brother brings buns for dogs and burgers.

It has been going on for 15 years now and so far with 1 1/2 weeks to go, "only" 86 have signed up. But one must remember, when adding wives, girl friends and Family there is @ 250 people so far.

Between all of the lieing, BSing, there is horseshoes, volley ball, fishing for the kids and Fireworks for later when it gets dark!

Many of the wives were not in a GLO, but many were. The thing to remember is they are all part of our LXA Family and are Friends!

So fun is had by all!

Now for the Local KC Alumni, we have a monthly gathering for socializing and have between 15- 20 show up.

They are the movers and shakers of and for the Chapter.

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 06-29-2007 at 04:24 PM.