Welcome to our newest member, Christos-Cyp
» Online Users: 1,205
1 members and 1,204 guests
Cookiez17

Old 04-21-2015, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Sexism or Lack of Professionalism?

Quote:

Bentivegna, a computer science major from New Jersey, thought her interview about two weeks ago at OnShift, makers of scheduling software for nursing homes, went well. She'd been contacted out of the blue by a recruiter for the position and though she agreed to the 4 p.m. interview time, she did note she'd likely be a few minutes late.

She got to the Euclid Avenue office of OnShift, she said, at about 4:20 and all seemed well
. She interviewed with several people, then went back to her dorm where she expected to hear good news in the days ahead.

"I got a good vibe from them," she said.

Wednesday, she got a call from the recruiter, Julie Maurer of Silverline Consulting in Akron. It was not good news.

"She said they'd love to hire me based on my technical ability and my personality, but were not going to because A: I looked like I was about to go clubbing and not be on an interview, B: I had a huge run in my tights and C: I was late. And I told them I was going to be late," Bentivegna said.

They also said she just wasn't "put together."

"I am a full-time college student with three, no make that four jobs. I am put together," she said reeling off her gigs as a grader in an algorithm class, a lab assistant for intro to programming, a resident assistant and webmaster for the theater and dance department.

Her fb post

http://www.cleveland.com/tipoff/inde....html#comments

I just there are so many things wrong with this. She sounds like an entitled brat who has no clue about professionalism, interviewing or general guidelines for acceptable outfits in certain situations.

You shine yourself up for an interview just like you do a resume. Competition is fierce in this job market and if there are multiple acceptable candidates it's going to come down to other specifics.

Last edited by Nanners52674; 04-21-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It matters how you dress to an interview regardless if you are a man or a woman. Some places have a more relaxed dress code, but for an interview, you dress the most professional you can possibly look. I used to work in software and my old company had a very relaxed dress code. However, for my interview, I wore a navy pantsuit, heels and my long hair back in a chignon. She's being a brat. Show you care about getting the job. What you wear can say a lot about that. Someone may have a sparkling resume, but look like you gave a crap. What she's wearing in that picture does look like she's about to go clubbing rather than interview for a job.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I'm not clear on how much notice they gave her for the interview. It says, "out of the blue." Does that mean they called her at 3 and asked her to come in at 4?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't hire her based on her sucky attitude. Just because something doesn't go your way doesn't allow you to put it on blast via Facebook. She just shot herself in the foot for any future job opportunities. And it looks like the company dodged a bullet by not offering her the job. What happens when she has a disagreement with her boss or another coworker? Another Facebook rant with swearing?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I work for a software company that provides services to the healthcare industry as well. I was referred to the company by a current employee, knew that the staff was 85% male and that the dress code was incredibly lax. I walked past men in board shorts and hoodies into that interview with someone wearing a polo and khakis while I was wearing a black dress, black blazer and modest pumps. Because that's what you do.

I now recruit for my company. If you don't bother trying to impress me before you have the job, I can only assume that you'd present yourself the same way to clients. And you'd better believe that I check your social media, too.

Last edited by luv n tpa; 04-21-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Agreed.

Baby Girl, save the sexy clothes & makeup for clubbing. This is NOT a "woman issue", this is a presentation issue - and you are not presenting yourself appropriately for the corporate world. A man wearing the male equivalent would not be hired, either. Get over yourself!
Old 04-21-2015, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmmmm. I somewhat disagree with other commenters here. I think that in some ways, students coming out of college should be given some slack. They're new to the professional world, especially those who don't have money to take unpaid internships (I'm guessing this about her based on the four jobs). Internships are where you learn a lot about professional dress & behavior, and interns are often mentored on this.

I had a semi-professional wardrobe coming out of college mostly because of the sorority. If not--an interview outfit might have looked something like this. I also have trouble with shirts showing too much cleavage (With sweaters, I often wear camisoles backwards, with the tags clipped out, because they're higher cut that way).

Plus, it has to hurt to hear why she was rejected. I think the company was trying to help, but it might have been better just to go with "we went in another direction." Hearing all the reasons makes you want to protest.

(On the other hand, 20 minutes isn't "a few minutes late")
Old 04-21-2015, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I call bullshit on her "allegation" (on Facbook, roll eyes) that she was told by a recruiter that she had the skills and personality but wasn't dressed "professionally enough". Nope, that didn't happen. She didn't get the job she wanted ( too bad, so sad) and so she's resorting to playing a lame sexist card to make herself feel better.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:15 AM

Those "four jobs" are not four jobs that prevent you from having time to pick up a book about what's proper interview attire. Students don't get a "pass." We all knew what to wear BEFORE senior year. Her dismissive attitude toward the current employees' attire (they dress like bums, how dare they tell me what's appropriate) just makes things worse.

She will never get anywhere with such a huge chip on her shoulder, regardless of her technical skills.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I knew what to wear when I interviewed for a retail job my senior year of high school (wore a skirt suit and heels for that). Unless she's had her head stuck in a hole somewhere, she knows how to dress for an interview. If she didn't have an outfit, couldn't she borrow from a friend? I've loaned friends 'interview' clothes back in the day. It doesn't have to be expensive--just professional. With her sucky attitude, that company dodged a bullet in hiring her. I doubt the HR person called her out on her clothes and she's merely using that as an excuse.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd probably cut her a bit of slack on the outfit (but the large run would indicate sloppiness/lack of attention to detail), due to her age. Honestly, some actives' chapter meeting outfits look like get ups we would have worn to a certain theme party back in the day, and they don't see it. This skirt was better than the tight tube skirts and stacked pumps you see. This is why our Sorority gives explicit guidelines for dress at Convention.

Her attitude is indicative of the Millenials...they have a lot of confidence that they will change the world, they dislike the authority held by older generations, they expect instant success, etc. So she hits FB with a profanity-laced tirade instead of waiting a day, cooling down, and thinking about the advice they gave her...brutal, but honest. She's shot herself in the foot, because now anytime a prospective employer Googles her name, this will pop up and any company is going to be very nervous about her lack of discretion, her attitude, and her reaction to constructive criticism.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I'd probably cut her a bit of slack on the outfit (but the large run would indicate sloppiness/lack of attention to detail), due to her age. Honestly, some actives' chapter meeting outfits look like get ups we would have worn to a certain theme party back in the day, and they don't see it. This skirt was better than the tight tube skirts and stacked pumps you see. This is why our Sorority gives explicit guidelines for dress at Convention.
There's also a class element to this. I don't know about this specific situation, but in general, students who are first-generation college attendees don't have the level of guidance some of us did. Of course, career centers and the like have resources, but it's not the same as coming from a white-collar family.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I think that recruiter did her a tremendous favor. How many jobs have you not gotten and received ZERO indication as to why or how you might improve on the next interview?

This girl needs to cool off somewhere and woman up. She doesn't know how to dress for interviews, and she learned that lesson in a high-stakes, somewhat embarrassing way. Most career centers will offer guidance on what to wear, but I've heard many a career counselor say that many undergraduate women tend to disbelieve the guidance on how conservatively they should be dressing.

I've said this before - I think career attire for women is much more difficult than it is for men. Men wear suits starting at a young age for all kinds of formal social and academic functions. Young women basically never have an occasion to wear interview-appropriate attire, and on top of that, they see a much wider range of acceptable work wear, depending on the profession. I understand why it can be so confusing.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't see the sexism.

Before my first professional job interview after college, I spent hours googling acceptable interview clothing for my industry. I went shopping specifically for a new blazer. I wore a pencil skirt, nylons (despite that probably being unnecessary in Florida) and heels. My current position is incredibly casual despite being in corporate finance, and I still wore a suit to the interview. You don't need a counselor or an advisor to do research on your own.

And if you're offered a last minute interview you can't make it to, offer to meet at a different time to ensure you're not late. If it's a new area, leave early - way early. Better to sit in your car waiting for 20 minutes than be late.

Unless you grew up under a rock, do not have web access, learned everything you know via osmosis, and have literally never been outside around other humans ever, there is no excuse for blaming legitimately poor presentation on anyone but yourself.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
There's also a class element to this. I don't know about this specific situation, but in general, students who are first-generation college attendees don't have the level of guidance some of us did. Of course, career centers and the like have resources, but it's not the same as coming from a white-collar family.
Agreed. My university and my daughter's offer Etiquette Dinners, and mine even offers "Surviving a Golf Outing." Some of the difficulty is that students have to be open to this information, which many are. Someone who carries an attitude of "I look good already, I'm not conforming to the expectations of Big Business! They can conform to me!" is probably not going to be the first one to line up for these kinds of seminars.