Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 872
1 members and 871 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Preference

I'm working on my testimonial for preference night and was wondering if any of you ladies had any memories of KD or quotes about sisterhood to inspire me! I love hearing about other people's experiences in KD...it helps me remember that KD is more than just four years in college!!

My favorite quotes would have to be:
Ta Kala Diokomen (I know it's kind of an obvious choice, but when I heard this for the first time as a PNM it gave me goosebumps. It's such an amazing motto to live by!)

"People ask why I am in a sorority and I try to explain all the things a sorority is that they cannot see. A sorority is more than letters on a sweatshirt, I say. More than traditional songs, a gold pin, rituals, and obligation, or a way of life. A sorority is learning about people, a sorority is giving without expecting a return. A sorority is earning respect from others, as well as for yourself. A sorority will not solve all your problems. But I have made good friends and found confidence there to help me take life one step at a time."

Anyone else wanna share?

Let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest.
The content of this post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of Kappa Delta Sorority.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been thinking about you Xomanadaxo!! I hope recruitment goes SO WELL and that KD kicks it at Witt this year. I have texted my son, but he isn't answering.... drat him.

As a former advisor, I think one of the biggest mistakes women make in crafting a pref testimonial is that they tend to pitch it to their sisters rather than the PNMs. It's tempting, and usually it's unconscious, but inside jokes and insider stories leave the PNMs on the outside, looking in... which is exactly where you DON'T want them. Stories that are too heavyhanded or testimonials that seem manipulative i.e., designed to "get them to cry", can be counter-productive.

Sincere, straight from the heart is best. Find a way to concisely, with some real emotion and some gentle humor, tell the story about what KD sisterhood and the ideals of our sorority has meant to you.

I agree with you, ta kala diokomen is powerful stuff. If we really lived it every day----striving for what is honorable, beautiful and highest---we would live in a better world. As a middle aged woman, I wear one of my vintage pins at least once a week to remind me of that motto. I don't always achieve the honorable, beautiful and highest each day, but if I don't even try, it will never happen!

Everyone has sisterhood stories, but the ones that will resonate the most with the PNMs are the ones that come from your own heart and experience.

Wishing Alpha Nu all the best this month! Be sure and let us know how it goes. I'm dying for news from Miami, too.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks a ton!! Recruitment is going SUPER well...I'm so excited! My sisters have really stepped it up this year and I couldn't be more proud!

Let us strive for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest.
The content of this post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily reflect the views of Kappa Delta Sorority.