GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,513
2 members and 1,511 guests
amIblue?, JayhawkAOII

Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Website

My chapters president and I were talking today and I mentioned our lack of a website. Our Nationals gives us access to a great template to build a site but we are unable to get ours to go live for some reason. We are trying to get the issues worked out, but she has been trying for like two years at this point. So, since I have an interest in web design I offered to make a sample chapter site for her to decide if we want to open one on hosting elsewhere. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for free webhosts that I could demonstrate with.
Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Does Chi O use GIN for its chapter websites? They do have hang ups, but if you reach out to them about the problems you are experiencing they will answer and fix the problems. Sometimes it does take a follow up email or phone call to get final resolutions. In the end, if you use GIN, you already have a resource that doesn't cost you money (directly). Use it rather than recreating the wheel.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Although Chi O's Nationals is dealing with some other issues at the moment, and it is the holidays, that shouldn't stop anyone from offering you support and assistance in getting your web site up and running. It's very hard to believe that two years of requesting help has not gotten any results!!!

Send a politely worded email to your headquarters; follow up with a phone call. It is so amazing what results come from a phone call.

In the meantime, does your chapter have a Facebook page, Twitter and Tumblr (any of those)? What other social media are you using?

One thing you need to investigate: does Chi O permit chapters to host independent web sites? Some GLOs do not; you must use what is provided by the fraternity/sorority. It would be wise to check on that first. You don't need any negatives coming your way.

Good luck!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 12-10-2012, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOcarnation View Post
Chi O offers each chapter a fairly limited chapter site through nationals. It is fairly easy to edit/ operate tho uploading pictures is a PAIN on it. Chi O does allow chapters to operate/make its own website. My chapter went through a similar process a while back. Feel free to PM me if you have questions about editing your chapter site.
Thank you so much!! I thought we were allowed to have our own because I have seen so many chapters hosting their own. I wanted to show her the site on a free hosting server before the chapter decides if we wish to spend money for hosting and stuff. Thanks everyone though.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority was using yolasite (not sure if they still do), and for the professional site I'm in the process of rebuilding (for me, not the chapter), I'm using Wix. To me Wix looks a bit prettier, but I don't have experience with Yolasite myself.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I am working on one at Wix right now. Thanks so much for the advice everyone!!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

If your Nationals gives you a template, why not work on it on your computer and show it to your president that way? If it's basic HTML it will load just fine. Or, if you need a web host to run on your computer, then I highly recommend using XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html). It comes with everything you need to run a site locally. Just type: http://localhost/ and you have a website specific to your computer.

Another alternative would be: http://www.000webhost.com/
Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Only our president and designated webmaster have access to the website provided by nationals and she has let me play with it and we cannot get it to go online. I had success with Wix. It's almost done!! thanks though!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey everyone, I finished my chapters website. I ended up using Wix, and the only page not done is about recruitment. Now i have to blur the Rho Gamma's faces on all the pictures >.<
but here it is if you want to see it!
http://chiomegabetadelta.wix.com/thi...!contact/c1d94
Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateee View Post
Hey everyone, I finished my chapters website. I ended up using Wix, and the only page not done is about recruitment. Now i have to blur the Rho Gamma's faces on all the pictures >.<
but here it is if you want to see it!
http://chiomegabetadelta.wix.com/thi...!contact/c1d94
What template did you use? I am thinking of using this to create a website for our chapter

Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Good job! You need a title on your scrapbook page, too. It looks really nice, though.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

TKE, I can't remember how I found the template and I looked again and couldn't find it at all. Sorry. :/

And AOII_Angel thanks! Didn't notice that. And thank you, it took forever to finish! haha