GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,152
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, horsearcher
» Online Users: 1,389
3 members and 1,386 guests
John, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 04-03-2006, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

27 Weeks Until Boston, Whatcha Know 'Bout Beantown?

Since I'm finally graduating in May, I've decided to save until the end of Summer and move across the country to Boston. I'm planning on selling my land rover so I'll have a couple thousand to help me land on my feet. Since all my family is in Southern Cali (primarily San Diego), I decided that I want to get out of my safety net and leave the plastic town I've called home for 23 years. I've heard Boston's pretty preppy, but I believe it's more working class than SD, and I need a more blue-collar setting.

So, I know I've started this thread before (can't find it), but what, from your observations, is Boston like?

I really don't care about weather, because I've been spoiled by sun and beach my whole life and I don't mind puting up with nature. What I really want to know is how easy it will be to find a job (I'm going into philanthropy if that helps), how easy it is to find a place, how the bar scene is, and how easy it is to navigate the city without a car.

I'm going to be a young college grad in Beantown, so I figured I'll have a blast. Any info will help.

Last edited by TristanDSP; 04-03-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Boston's a fun city filled with lots of college students and people in their 20's. There are tons of bars that are packed every night, not that I would know since I go to the same bar all the time.

Areas I'd suggest to live in are Allston, Brighton, the Fenway and Brookline. Rent prices can either be not too expensive or very expensive. If you want a 1-bedroom by yourself expect to pay at least $1000. to give you an idea, I paid $1200 for a big 1-bedroom on a main road in Allston. If you have roommates, it will definitely be a lot cheaper.

I don't think a car is necessary in the city, I haven't had one for the 3 and a half years that I've lived here and it's never been a problem. The T is very simple to navigate, although the B Line can be my greatest enemy at times. I tend to walk most places when it's warm out too. Menino likes to call Boston the walking city.

I just saw your question about how easy it is to navigate the city with a car. If you know where you are going, it can be fairly easy. If you don't, then it is the biggest pain in the ass. Streets change names half way through, there are tons of one ways, and I think some streets have the same name. Parking can also be a bitch if you don't have a spot with your place.

Do you have any specific questions? and KSigKid is usually better at answering these questions than me!

Last edited by mu_agd; 04-03-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I forgot about KSigKid...I definitely got to hit him up.

One thing I just thought about is how safe the city is. San Diego is one of the safest cities in America, and I don't know what the general vibe is like....for instace, it's fairly safe to walk Downtown and have nothing happen to you. What that like in Boston?
Old 04-03-2006, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

mu_agd definitely gave some good pointers. Like she said, Brookline, Allston/Brighton and Fenway will probably be the best places to live for you, with Brookline being the most expensive. That is even more true if you're living alone. If you expect to pay at least $1000, you won't be too surprised by the rental prices. I would suggest starting to look at around May, as property dwindles pretty quickly as you get towards September.

Again, you definitely don't need a car, unless your job calls for you to hit the suburbs. Parking is very expensive, so I wouldn't suggest bringing a car unless you absolutely need one. The T can bring you most places you need to go, including all around Boston, to Cambridge, Braintree, Quincy, and Newton. Even after that, the buses and commuter rail can take you out to most of the burbs.

There really isn't one "style" in the city. Some people are preppy, some are more working-class, and some are all over the map. The bar scene is pretty laid back in most places, you can get away with a t-shirt and jeans. Some spots, though, you'll definitely have to kick it up a notch (dress pants, black shoes). The vibe depends on where you go; some places are laid back, while some are a little too self-important.

The job market has gotten better around here, but it's not easy to find a job. The best thing to do is start looking as early as possible, and work any connections you can find. This is especially true if you're looking for a specific job or a specific pay (to pay for living here). For philanthropy, there are a bunch of different places in town, but for many the pay is low, while for others they have small staffs. If you get more specific about which type of philanthropy you're looking at, I can probably give more detailed advice. (I've worked for two non-profits with sizeable charitable arms).

Definitely PM me if you'd like, or post any questions here. I love living in the Boston area and am always happy to help.

ETA: The city, overall is pretty safe, as long as you have common sense. There are some areas (Roxbury, Downtown Crossing) where you wouldn't want to do anything stupid, but overall as long as you pay attention you'll be fine. You probably shouldn't be waving your wallet around or threatening anyone, but you don't seem like the type to do anything like that.

Honestly, as a guy you'll be fine, but I know there are women who are more careful about things (carry pepper spray, don't go into certain areas, etc.) It's like anyplace else; don't make the wrong person angry, and you'll be fine.

Last edited by KSigkid; 04-03-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TristanDSP
I forgot about KSigKid...I definitely got to hit him up.

One thing I just thought about is how safe the city is. San Diego is one of the safest cities in America, and I don't know what the general vibe is like....for instace, it's fairly safe to walk Downtown and have nothing happen to you. What that like in Boston?
I've always felt safe here. Obviously I wouldn't go walking alone at 3am because I'm incredibly paranoid, but I've never been scared when leaving bars at night or anything. There are some areas that have bad reputations and there will always be incidents as it is a city, but you just need to be aware of your surroundings I think.

hey C, we did a pub crawl last week and I went to bars that weren't the Ave! Are you proud? We also made sure to hit up The Littlest Bar before it gets torn down.

Last edited by mu_agd; 04-03-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mu_agd
I've always felt safe here. Obviously I wouldn't go walking alone at 3am because I'm incredibly paranoid, but I've never been scared when leaving bars at night or anything. There are some areas that have bad reputations and there will always be incidents as it is a city, but you just need to be aware of your surroundings I think.

hey C, we did a pub crawl last week and I went to bars that weren't the Ave! Are you proud? We also made sure to hit up The Littlest Bar before it gets torn down.
Haha, good to spread things out a bit. I haven't been to my favorite place (Dillons) in quite a while. I heard the guys had a great time at the Avenue last weekend, which I'm kind of sorry I missed.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KSigkid
Haha, good to spread things out a bit. I haven't been to my favorite place (Dillons) in quite a while. I heard the guys had a great time at the Avenue last weekend, which I'm kind of sorry I missed.
Was it Saturday night? Because I saw a big group at same tables in the back and was wondering if it was them. I haven't been to Dillons since last summer. I always did like it there.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Was it Saturday night? Because I saw a big group at same tables in the back and was wondering if it was them. I haven't been to Dillons since last summer. I always did like it there.
Yep, it was Saturday night. I think they started there around 4 p.m., so by the time you got there they may have been well on their way.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 PM

Boston is a great place to live.

My knowledge is a few years out of date, but for what it's worth:

If you live in the Boston/Cambridge area, a car is a liability, not an asset. Boston and Cambridge are a maze of one-way streets, dead ends, poor signage, and crazy drivers (they don't call them Massholes for nothing). You have to find somewhere to park your car, and that can be challenging, expensive, or both. And with the T, you really don't need a car. If you need a car once in a while to go to Costco or something, rent one for the day, or get a Zipcar (I believe they were founded in Boston).

Finding an apartment wasn't easy when I was looking for one (1997), but that may have changed. It's not wrong to start looking now, especially if you want to find a roommate as well.

The city is generally safe, as long as you use your common sense and don't do anything stupid.

The bar scene is pretty good. I can recommend a few places. Keep in mind, though, that the bars close at 2am and the T stops running at 1am (unless that's changed in the last couple of years?), so if you're going somewhere not in walking distance, either take a car and have a designated driver, or be prepared to wait a loooong time for a taxi. (Or, I suppose you *could* leave the bar by 12:30 or so... nah )

*sigh* I miss Boston...
Old 04-12-2006, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey guys, what colleges/universities are in the Boston area?

All I have so far is:

BC
BU
Tufts
Harvard
Northeastern

I know there's way more though....
Old 04-12-2006, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

All I have so far is:

BC
BU
Tufts
Harvard
Northeastern

there is also, Berklee
Old 04-12-2006, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

All I have so far is:

BC
BU
Tufts
Harvard
Northeastern

Are you looking for just in the city or suburbs as well?

Some off the top of my head are:

MIT
Suffolk
Babson
Bentley
Emerson
UMass Boston
Old 04-12-2006, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are you looking for just in the city or suburbs as well?

Some off the top of my head are:

MIT
Suffolk
Babson
Bentley
Emerson
UMass Boston
Also:
Simmons
Emmanuel
Wentworth Institute of Technology
Wellesley
Brandeis

(Wellesley and Brandeis are in the suburbs though - the others are right in Boston)
Old 04-12-2006, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

And dont forget DDU! We use to joke in high school that if no colleges accepted us we'd all end up taking Chocolate Glaze 101 at Dunkin Donuts University. I suppose it was only funny to us since their training facilities were located down the street from our school.

...and now I have a sudden craving for Bertucci's! argh!